Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

MysticalJet Theater 2.0

39K views 89 replies 18 participants last post by  joed 
#1 · (Edited)
***EDIT 1/11/2014

Some newer photos taken with Canon T3i. Still learning the camera but these are better than the previous set.

Picture from doorway entering Theater.

Entering the Theater with lights on

Similar photo with less light

Similar photo a bit over exposed so you can see everything a bit clearer - but colors are off.

From just behind second row seating.

From directly in front of center of screen facing seats. In the back right you can see the fabric door I built to conceal the A/V rack.

Angled shot from the front.

Well, had to leave the last theater behind because we moved for a job. I was in Connecticut and now I'm in North Carolina. We have been in the new house for a little over a year (and boy do I miss the theater!). Unfortunately, it is difficult to find houses with basements so we did our best to find a house with a room that could be transformed. The house we bought has a bonus room above the garage, and although not ideal, I could envision a theater.

Over the year there have been other projects that had priority over the theater, but I am finally at the point where I have started the build and thought I'd share it on this forum. I plan on indexing the progress with quick links within the thread (if I can figure out how). So here we go...

*** Reserved for final photos

Index

A) Plans/Drawings with measurements
B) Electrical/Wiring Layout
C) Removing Carpet
D) Wiring, Moving HVAC Vents, Installing Can Lights
E) Drywall Patching and Painting
F) Stage Build
G) Riser Build
H) Window "Plug"
I) Carpet Selection/Install and here
J) Crown Molding/Rope lighting
K) Front wall Treatment/Bass Traps
L) False Wall Build
M) Column build and install
N) Rack Closet/Rack Build
O) Screen Build
P) Screen Wall Fabric Frame Install
Q) Baseboard and trim install
R) Seating
S) Wall Panel, Decoration, Popcorn/Candy Stand
T) Rear Speaker Upgrade
U) HTPC (final) - Link to build thread in my signature

See less See more
#65 ·
Hey Everyone.

Been a little while since I posted and I'm due.

Been busy setting up my HTPC and media application. Ultimately went with XBMC due to the flexibility and the fact that it now supports HD Audio bitstreaming.

Anyway on to the interesting part .... Photos. Hopefully the quality is a little better. Utilized my tripod and low light settings.

Updated room photos

Some screenshots:

#70 ·
Man, what a Amazing job your HT is. Wow. Thanks for sharing you work. Diffidently can tell you have done this before.

Very cool.
Thanks guys. I'm really enjoying the outcome. Don't know if I'll ever be 100% done - there are always tweaks that pop in my mind and punch list items but it is a great space to watch movies.

#72 ·
Thanks! Yep - resizing and I really don't mind the images are stretched a little for the XBMC. I think it's more impressive having the screen filled.

Finally got XBMC to play flawlessly (knock on wood) but I did have to get a separate video card. For whatever reason, and I could not figure it out, the intel HD graphics couldn't play without stutter and blocking.

In the end it all worked out and I'm happy with the outcome.

#75 ·
Some more pictures - tried Panaorama. Unfortunately the image hosting site resizes so it is going to look small here. Anyone know how I can share the image on the board at the smaller size but link it to a larger size? And what image hosting site will not re-size on me? The original image sizes are ~8500X2000.

#77 · (Edited)
#79 ·
Very nicely done, impressive! :cool:

#84 ·
WOW!! you did an amazing job. I have a few questions. Maybe your already talked about them but I didn't see it.

1. my room also has a window in the same spot yours does. Can you access it to make sure there are no leaks etc. how does it look from the outside as my window is in front of the house.

2. I don't know the rules but my room is similar in size and my wants are about the same as yours and I am looking at a 9-10K budget all including. What was your budget.

thanks,
Joe

#89 ·
Thanks!

1) I built the room so the window is not that accessible, but you can get to it if needed without tearing the whole theater apart.

Here is the link within the thread specific to the front window http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/home-theater-design-construction/49767-mysticaljet-theater-2-0-a.html#post459460

from the outside it looks like a regular window with blinds and all. Can't tell its blocked or there is a theater in there ;)

2) It depends on what you mean by "all including?" Do you have any equipment? For me, it cost 9 - 10 K but I had the projector and some equip. I've upgraded since on a few things and the total is up near 16k. I think you can do it for 9 -10k it just all depends on the quality of the equipment you want.

#90 ·
I don't know how I missed that in your thread but I like the way you did that. I don't have any equipment at all but the room is already carpeted. I am going to start a new thread in the construction section next week as soon as I can get pics of the room this week end.

I am going to go back and go through your thread again because it seems I have missed some good stuff the first time.

Take care and great job.

Joe

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.