Chamber of Dreams => How it was made... - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #11 of 229 Old 02-17-12, 05:16 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

My System
Re: Chamber of Dreams => How it was made...

Quote:
ALMFamily wrote: View Post
Definitely interested - been following along so far!
Ok. I was just wondering, because my room is already finished

I have forgotten an important piece of the puzzle. The reason for the ceiling. I had someone do a RT60-measurement and he drafted a plan and suggested a ceiling with slabs that could absorb frequencies from 250Hz and up.

Test setup
Chamber of Dreams => How it was made...-dsc05212.jpg

Chamber of Dreams => How it was made...-dsc05215.jpg

Measurement in progress. Blue in that chart is not good
Chamber of Dreams => How it was made...-dsc05216.jpg

Result. Average reverberation time is almost 3 seconds Target are the red lines...
Chamber of Dreams => How it was made...-gemiddelde-nagalmtijd_hts.jpg

But with help of the ceiling, the carpet and the other acoustic measures that would change...

PS Audio • Marantz • Oppo • ALR/Jordan • Velodyne • inakustik • Furutech • JVC • Stewart

Chamber of Dreams

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 229 Old 02-17-12, 06:17 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

The Mad Professor

My System

Quote:
HTip wrote: View Post
Anybody interested in the rest of the build? I expected questions about the choices we made and why
Still following..Just waiting on the later stages..

Prof..
Home Theatre...the never ending story!

post #13 of 229 Old 02-18-12, 05:01 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

My System

Quote:
Prof. wrote: View Post
Still following..Just waiting on the later stages..
The ceiling was the most important stage of the build. And later on the absorbers and much later on the bass traps. But don't worry, I will continue posting...

You have to wait though, because tomorrow I'm away and now I have to go to sleep It's around 23.00 o'clock here at the moment and I have to get up early. But Monday I'm back. See you all then!

PS Audio • Marantz • Oppo • ALR/Jordan • Velodyne • inakustik • Furutech • JVC • Stewart

Chamber of Dreams

post #14 of 229 Old 02-19-12, 05:46 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

My System

For the lighting of the room we chose 3 lights each side. We found some that were easy to install in the ceiling tiles. For the back wall it looked like this.

Chamber of Dreams => How it was made...-dsc05749.jpg

Chamber of Dreams => How it was made...-dsc05751.jpg

Chamber of Dreams => How it was made...-dsc05756.jpg

Next was our biggest challenge, the projection wall. It was gonna be an important acoustic measure and it was supposed be to done very accurate. So we started bij positioning the screen exactly in the middle and at the right height.
Chamber of Dreams => How it was made...-dsc05753.jpg

The design was pretty straight forward, bus not easy to construct.
Chamber of Dreams => How it was made...-20071209-2520-2520ontwerp-2520ht-2520-2520paneelabsorbermodules-2520v7a.jpg

Every compartment was a separate absorber tuned to a specific frequency. So even behind the screen 3 absorbers would placed. The idea was to integrate the screen into that absorber.

Chamber of Dreams

post #15 of 229 Old 02-20-12, 01:27 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

My System

Now we knew where the screen was going to be, we started with the frame.
Chamber of Dreams => How it was made...-dsc05770.jpg

We needed to make sure there was a little open space between the board and the rockwool.
Chamber of Dreams => How it was made...-img_2980.jpg

Filling up the absorbers with rockwool
Chamber of Dreams => How it was made...-img_2979.jpg

Chamber of Dreams => How it was made...-img_2987.jpg

Chamber of Dreams => How it was made...-img_3004.jpg

Chamber of Dreams => How it was made...-img_3012.jpg

With the wooden boards and the Beamax A-velvet in place
Chamber of Dreams => How it was made...-img_3015.jpg

Next activity... "Paint it black"

Chamber of Dreams

post #16 of 229 Old 02-20-12, 04:27 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

My System

To enhance contrast and picture the whole wall is painted black.

Chamber of Dreams => How it was made...-img_3116.jpg

Chamber of Dreams => How it was made...-img_3118.jpg

Chamber of Dreams => How it was made...-img_3121.jpg

Chamber of Dreams => How it was made...-img_3125.jpg

The end result with the screen in place. Compare this to the picture with original color
Chamber of Dreams => How it was made...-img_3127.jpg

Chamber of Dreams => How it was made...-img_3015.jpg

It started to look like a home cinema already...

Chamber of Dreams

post #17 of 229 Old 02-20-12, 05:15 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

The Mad Professor

My System

The finished result looks very good, but why the timber panels over the rockwool? Surely this will give you a reflective surface that high frequencies will bounce off!

Prof..

post #18 of 229 Old 02-20-12, 05:30 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

My System

Quote:
The finished result looks very good, but why the timber panels over the rockwool? Surely this will give you a reflective surface that high frequencies will bounce off!
Thanks Prof

The timber panels act as a membrane and can flex quite a bit. That is why there has to be a gap between the timber and the rockwool. But you're right that high frequencies will bounce off. The panels are there to handle the low/mid low frequencies (80-250Hz). The ceiling deals with de mid frequencies and above (250Hz-).

Furthermore, a curtain will be used to cover most of the reflective surface when watching a movie or concert. With music the curtain stays closed and therefor covers the whole wall.

Chamber of Dreams

post #19 of 229 Old 02-20-12, 05:58 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

The Mad Professor

My System

Hmm..Very interesting!..I look forward to hearing your report on how the end result sounds..

Prof..

post #20 of 229 Old 02-20-12, 06:05 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

My System

Quote:
Hmm..Very interesting!..I look forward to hearing your report on how the end result sounds..
I will do that and I can even show RT60-measurements after treatment phase 1 and the end result.

Chamber of Dreams