PTAaron's Movie Room/Game Room/Bar - Page 12 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

82Likes

post #111 of 449 Old 03-28-12, 12:25 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Aaron

My System
Re: PTAaron's Movie Room/Game Room/Bar

No real update... but I spent a couple of hours in the room last night playing Skyrim and watching some TV... and I LOVE IT with the new paint job! The TV actually seems like it got brighter because the room is suddenly so much darker. I actually had to double check that I didn't accidentally switch it into "bright" mode! I will be redoing the calibration on it soon anyway as it gets more hours on it and the bulb "breaks in" or whatever the bulbs do at the beginning of their lifespan.
I ended up having to put tape over the power light on the PS3 Harmony adapter - because it was really lighting things up through the gap at the side of the new curtain. For reference - the old curtain was thumbtacked to the wall as a temporary "concept", so having an actual curtain rod and better quality curtain leaves a small gap where it stands out from the wall.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
- comments welcome!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #112 of 449 Old 03-28-12, 02:22 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Aaron

My System

Tough decision time...
The white Lutron switches with their white wall plate are going to drive me insane very quickly. (it is a VERY short trip )
The way I see it is that I have 3 options:
1) Attempt to disassemble the Lutron switches and see if I can paint the plastic pieces black without destroying the switch - Cost: $0.00, unless I destroy a switch, since I already have the switches and a can of spraypaint.
2) Order 3 black Lutron Maestro IR switches and a black wall plate - Cost: $90 total.
3) Order 3 Insteon 2476DBK switches, 1 IR to Insteon convertor (2411R), 2 LED color change kits to make the lights blue(), and a black wall plate - Cost $271 from Smarthome.

Option 1 - advantage of course is that it will not cost me anything, the downside is I could potentially ruin a $30 switch, which will probably force me to go to option 2 or 3.

Option 2 - big advantage is that it will look better without the potential to ruin the switches I currently have. Disadvantage - I will still be limited to being only able to do "all on/bright" "all off/dim" or "preset mode" on the lights, can't control them individually.

Option 3 - Advantage is I can program numerous "scenes", I can control each switch individually, I can control the switches from anywhere in the house if I expand the Insteon setup, I can also control other rooms from the movie room if I expand the setup (like turning off/on the bar or bathroom lights for intermission or to annoy my friends when they are in the bathroom). Downside is that it is relatively very expensive!

What do you guys think?

I will be picking up an extra day at the hospital this weekend, so I could maybe justify the Insteon setup... but I am kind of on the fence...

EDIT: Just found the Lutron Black Maestro IR switches for $26... makes it a lot harder to justify the Insteon when it is more than 3x the price...

- comments welcome!

Last edited by PTAaron; 03-28-12 at 03:28 PM.
post #113 of 449 Old 03-28-12, 05:16 PM
Senior Shackster

My System

I would try to go for option 1. You've got nothing to lose and if it goes wrong you can go to option 2. Personally option 3 is a bit too much for me, not only money-wise

PS Audio Marantz Oppo ALR/Jordan Velodyne inakustik Furutech JVC Stewart

Chamber of Dreams

post #114 of 449 Old 03-28-12, 05:29 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Aaron

My System

Yeah, I'm not looking forward to relearning a new system if I switch to Insteon...
Now that I found the black switches for under $30 each, I'm thinking that is the way to go if I can't get the switches apart to paint.

- comments welcome!

post #115 of 449 Old 03-28-12, 10:34 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Aaron

My System
Guess i didn't need to worry... The switches come apart VERY easily! Just 4 little tabs to lightly push on and it pops off:

Then the plastic comes apart into 2 pieces with 4 more little tabs:

I just need to tape across the IR sensor and I'll be spraying it black...

- comments welcome!

post #116 of 449 Old 03-28-12, 11:45 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Aaron

My System
Even though it is almost midnight... I popped outside and sprayed a coat of flat black on the pieces...

We used one of my wife's scrapbooking cutter machines to make a little strip to go across the IR window - hope that works!

In case you were wondering... The switches work fine without the plastic on them - they just look a little scary:

- comments welcome!

post #117 of 449 Old 03-29-12, 01:46 AM
Senior Shackster

My System

Good job! Looks good and saves you money. I did the same with my ceiling lights

Chamber of Dreams

post #118 of 449 Old 03-29-12, 07:34 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Aaron

My System
I'm surprised it only took a day of using the room before it drive me nuts - I put up with the mirrors on the wall for a year and a half :lol:
I should look a lot better when I put it all back together. Going to spray on the second coat of paint before work so I can put it all back together tonight

- comments welcome!

post #119 of 449 Old 03-29-12, 09:21 AM
Senior Shackster

My System

I'm not surprised. You're getting used to the beautiful picture with dark colors and now everything stands out much more than before. And now you know why I made almost everything black from the viewing position forward

Chamber of Dreams

post #120 of 449 Old 03-29-12, 09:24 AM
HTS Moderator

Joe

My System

Hmmm..... shall we start a pool as to how long before Aaron paints the ceiling?

Nice job Aaron - good thing you decided to pull them apart yourself. More money for upgrades!