PTAaron's Movie Room/Game Room/Bar - Page 14 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

94Likes

post #131 of 461 Old 04-03-12, 02:33 PM
Senior Shackster

My System
Re: PTAaron's Movie Room/Game Room/Bar

Bummer! I found an auction on eBay (Germany) that is ongoing. Don't know if he is likely to deliver to the USA.
http://www.ebay.nl/itm/Logitech-PS3-...#ht_500wt_1156

PS Audio • Marantz • Oppo • ALR/Jordan • Velodyne • inakustik • Furutech • JVC • Stewart

Chamber of Dreams

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #132 of 461 Old 04-04-12, 04:35 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Aaron

My System

Alright... so for my birthday yesterday I got 2 Amazon.com gift cards for a total of around $100, and another $100 in cash - and I'm trying to decide what to put the money towards. I am thinking of getting something for the theater room - but so far these are some of the options I have come up with:
1) Behringer DSP1124P - "Feedback Destroyer Pro" ordered through Amazon (just over $100), and use the other $ to get the US-144 MKII sound card, Dayton EMM-6 Mic, and the cables needed to use REW to setup the DSP1124P. I like this idea because it gives me flexibility to play more in the future, and if I do 2 subs in the future it will help me integrate them together more smoothly. Down side is that I don't know if I will actually use it to the full potential.

2) "Now Showing" sign with changeable letters that Stargate Cinema sells through Amazon plus the extra letter packs... spend the rest on movies or the new Assassin's Creed game coming out soon. Up side to this is that it looks cool, and will add to the "theater feel". Down side is I don't know that I would actually take the time to set it up often enough to make it worthwhile.

3) APC G5BLK surge suppressor/power center from Amazon. Benefit is that it will clean up my cord mess a bit, potentially give me better protection for my equipment than what I currently have (cheap power strip surge protectors), and looks cool on the shelf. Down side is that it is pretty expensive for a surge suppressor, and I don't really buy into the "power conditioning" hype.

4) Kershaw Rake pocket knife. Positive: it is awesome, and who doesn't need another pocket knife? Down side: can't be used to enhance my movie theater experience.

5) Invicta Russian Diver Red Carbon Fiber Dial watch. Positive: Can never have enough Russian Diver watches. Negative - well... I have 5 other versions... so I guess I don't NEED this one...

Anyway - just wanted to see what you guys thought would be a better option...

- comments welcome!

post #133 of 461 Old 04-05-12, 01:39 AM
Senior Shackster

My System

Congratulations on your birthday

Great choice of gifts. I like the "Now Showing" sign. Very cool and great for in your bar. On the other hand it is just cosmetic, while the Behringer and APC improve your sound. It's a tough call.

PS Audio • Marantz • Oppo • ALR/Jordan • Velodyne • inakustik • Furutech • JVC • Stewart

Chamber of Dreams

post #134 of 461 Old 04-05-12, 01:35 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Aaron

My System

Thanks!
I was 100% sure I was going to buy the "now showing" sign... but the more I think about it, the less practical it seems. I'm not likely to sit down and change out the letters every time I show a movie - and frankly most of the people that come over to see a movie wouldn't care My friends have virtually no interest in this hobby.

So I guess for the room it comes down to the Behringer or the APC... The Behringer will have extra costs with it for the mic/mini-amp/cables - but it will allow me to get some more accurate readings of the room (because of the extra purchases) and make corrective changes... The APC would be nice just to clean things up a bit and give me a bit more peace of mind.

Hmm...

- comments welcome!

post #135 of 461 Old 04-05-12, 01:43 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Aaron

My System

Oh yeah... here are a couple of old REW plots of the room before the mirrors were removed with a signal sent directly to the subwoofer, using my RS SPL meter as the mic:

Then with the sub positioned in the front left corner of the room... and also moved to under the TV between the TV stand and the left speaker:

Sub in the front left corner REALLY gave me a big hole in the mid 40hz range - which was surprising, it didn't feel or sound like it lost anything. I checked later and found that I had gained about 4-5db because of the boundary gain! The graph doesn't show that gain, but I had adjusted the levels for the test to keep it consistent.

I ran more tests later with REW going through the AVR with and without Harman Kardon's EZSet/EQ running - but I haven't uploaded those... I also haven't done any tests since the mirrors came down. I did run full sweeps before the mirrors came down so I could compare though.
I'm wondering if I have small enough "issues" in the lower ranges that I could correct them with something as simple as the feedback destroyer... I know the big hole around 45hz may be too much to fix - but I don't know enough about acoustics to be sure.

Note: Yes I do see the big hole from 100hz on up - I'm not worrying about that with these tests since my sub crosses over at 80hz

- comments welcome!

Last edited by PTAaron; 04-05-12 at 01:55 PM.
post #136 of 461 Old 04-05-12, 01:53 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Aaron

My System

Unfortunately the best looking graph for the sub in the front of the room was with the mic positioned 1 foot forward of my current listening position... unfortunately I can't really move the seating forward a foot:

Also - oddly enough that puts the seating very close to the middle of the room - which theoretically should be one of the worst spots for bass response from the things I have read...

It looks like my first plot with the sub in the original position may be the winner - which is sad because I think the sub up front LOOKS a lot nicer.

- comments welcome!

post #137 of 461 Old 04-06-12, 09:58 PM
HTS Moderator

Joe

My System

Aaron,

Hello from Kalamazoo!

I would suggest looking for a used BFD - I see them for sale quite a bit for @$60-70. Also, I have seen several power conditioner / surge protection units used as well on Craigslist - might want to think about going that route as well.

I always suggest getting the thing that you would use most often - so, unfortunately, this is one you have to decide.

post #138 of 461 Old 04-06-12, 10:32 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Aaron

My System
Welcome to Michigan

The more I think it through the Behringer seems like the way to go...
I'm kind of limited to amazon.com for buying it to be able to call it a "birthday present" rather than just "spending more on the movie room"

- comments welcome!

Last edited by PTAaron; 04-06-12 at 11:51 PM.
post #139 of 461 Old 04-13-12, 10:47 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Aaron

My System
No updates to report, but I thought I would check in. Since last Saturday I've driven 2,800 miles on a road trip... and have another 11 hour drive tomorrow to look forward to

- comments welcome!

post #140 of 461 Old 04-14-12, 09:12 PM
HTS Moderator

Joe

My System

Blech! Drive safe and get home soon!