PTAaron's Movie Room/Game Room/Bar - Page 16 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

82Likes

post #151 of 449 Old 04-18-12, 10:12 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Aaron

My System
Quote:
HTip wrote:
I just noticed the REW graphs you already posted. The original position looks to be the best. Your last graph has a nice curve in the low range but a large and wide dip in a very audible area. Maybe you BFD can correct this.
Yeah, I wasn't concerned about anything over 80hz on those graphs - those were subwoofer only, so I was hoping to see that fill in when I did a full range test. Unfortunately I only had my SPL meter's microphone so I didn't trust the test results for anything outside of the "bass" range

If those graphs are truly accurate - it kind of stinks because I really want to move the sub to the front of the room for aesthetic reasons.

Quote:
ALMFamily wrote:
Aaron,

Are you planning on attending AKFest?
I'm not sure what or when that is?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
- comments welcome!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 449 Old 04-18-12, 10:15 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Aaron

My System
New toy showed up today while I was at work;

Looks like the USB to MIDI cable that cost me $.01 should be here next... and the XLR cable with the phantom power/external soundcard should be here Saturday or Monday...
Woohoo!

- comments welcome!

post #153 of 449 Old 04-18-12, 11:16 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Aaron

My System
I just looked up AK Fest... That's less than 5 miles from my house... I may have to check it out.

- comments welcome!

post #154 of 449 Old 04-19-12, 01:33 AM
HTS Moderator

Joe

My System
Re: PTAaron's Movie Room/Game Room/Bar

Let me know if you do - maybe I can drive over and meet you there depending on the baseball schedule......

post #155 of 449 Old 04-19-12, 03:31 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Aaron

My System

Looking more into it - I'm not sure if I will go or not... I'm not a part of that forum, and I'm more of a "budget audio/home theater" type so it may be a bit out of my league

- comments welcome!

post #156 of 449 Old 04-19-12, 03:35 PM
HTS Moderator

Joe

My System

Just found out I cannot swing it either - I was hoping to go to meet Bryan from GIK as well as goggle some higher end stuff.....

post #157 of 449 Old 04-21-12, 12:20 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Aaron

My System
2 more things showed up today...

I'm looking at what I have... and I notice that I seem to have forgotten about getting a cable to hook into my system Oops!

- comments welcome!

post #158 of 449 Old 04-21-12, 08:08 AM
HTS Moderator

Joe

My System

Aaron,

I am looking forward to your feedback on how your rig works for you - I am going to have to start getting gear together for running REW and need to create a shopping list as well.

Joe

post #159 of 449 Old 04-21-12, 08:39 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Aaron

My System
Quote:
ALMFamily wrote:
Aaron,

I am looking forward to your feedback on how your rig works for you - I am going to have to start getting gear together for running REW and need to create a shopping list as well.

Joe
I'm probably going to need to wait until next week to really use the new rig. I hooked it into my computer last night upstairs in my office to see if I could figure it out and realized that the pre-amp has a headphone output with a 1/8" jack so hooking into the system should be easy with the cables I already have. I forgot about needing a XLR to 1/4" TRS cable for calibrating the soundcard/preamp, and I still need 2 or 4 RCA to 1/4 TRS adapters to hook up the BFD - they are $0.30 from monoprice or $5 from radio shack.

A couple of observations already: the EMM-6 is a great deal at $36 on amazon right now. It comes with its own calibration file that can be plugged right into REW - that is a nice touch. The ART pre-amp seems easy to use - but the purple writing on black background is hard to read on the back of it when it is powered on. The "power" light is very bright, so make sure you figure out what everything does ahead of time.

- comments welcome!

post #160 of 449 Old 04-21-12, 11:41 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Aaron

My System
Add to the parts list a XLR male to 1/4" TRS cable for calibration and "loop back" that I picked up at guitar center today...

So that makes the shopping list for anyone that wants to do the same:
1 Dayton EMM-6 microphone
1 ART USB Dual Preamp
1 XLR microphone cable (mic to preamp)
1 1/4" TRS to male XLR cable (preamp to preamp for calibration)
1 1/4" TRS mono to RCA adapter (to run output to AVR)
That should do it...

- comments welcome!