PTAaron's Movie Room/Game Room/Bar - Page 17 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

94Likes

post #161 of 461 Old 04-22-12, 10:48 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Aaron

My System
Started out the day with a goal: hang the pool table light and get it wired before I had to leave to meet friends for a Pistons game... So here is a nice long photo filled story of the day.

Turned the pool table into a work bench and got a plan together with some help from my father in-law - got a late start as usual, so we only had a few hours to work with:

Plan was to run a 2x4 across some floor joists in the center of the table to mount some eye bolts into and to also use as a mounting platform for a box where an outlet would be installed in the ceiling.

While I got to work cutting the 2x4 and measuring for placement Gary figured out how the "mystery switch" in the basement was getting power and how we were going to use it to get power to our new light:

Turns out the "mystery switch" once was apparently a 3rd switch tied into controlling the can lights in the room - it ended up being a 4 wire bundle running into this rat next of wire:

I know it is a bad picture - but there are 3 standard romex lines and 1 5 wire bundle coming together in there...

After a lot of tile removal, wire tracing, swearing at the person that wired things previously, 2 trips to home depot because we got the wrong length eye bolts, and one instance of cutting a wire that was still live (OOPS!) - we got the lights hung!

Then we ran off to the basketball game - I'm not a huge sports fan, but we were given tickets and had access to the VIP lounge with free food and drinks... So we had an AMAZING time! The game ended up being pretty exciting right up until the end where we won!

And finally - a few shots without the stuff on the table:

The can lights cast a bit of a shadow - but dimming them makes things look perfect!

While we worked on the light - my wife organized her vodka ... Can you tell she likes flavored vodka?

(this is less than half of the different vodkas we have... We need help drinking it!)

For comparison - my absinthe collection is much smaller ... Only half a shelf!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
- comments welcome!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by PTAaron; 04-22-12 at 11:21 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #162 of 461 Old 04-22-12, 10:57 PM
HTS Moderator

Joe

My System
Re: PTAaron's Movie Room/Game Room/Bar

I can't even begin to describe how helpful an experienced father / father-in-law is for this kind of work - my step-dad has been invaluable for my project.

The light looks great there - excellent work. Hopefully, no one was seriously injured by the sparks flying - or the swearing.

And, - that's a lot of Vodka! Road trip to Michigan inc!

post #163 of 461 Old 04-22-12, 11:18 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Aaron

My System

No doubt about it... without the help from my father in-law I wouldn't have been able to do a lot of the things I have been documenting here! He does heating and cooling work for a living, but has also been an electrical contractor, plumber, and sheet metal worker - plus my wife is an only child, so needless to say all she has to do is ask nicely and he shows up 20 minutes later

No one was injured - the breaker tripped immediately and Gary said "Well **** that wasn't supposed to happen!" What happened was that he had planned to disconnect the "hot" wire from the "rat nest" before we made our Home Depot run, but didn't. When we got back he picked up where he left off - which was about to splice our new light into the old wire... but forgot the important step of disconnecting the hot end!

Any time you're in town... the bar is open

One other quick shot of the light by itself... you can see the outlet and eye bolts I put in...

- comments welcome!

post #164 of 461 Old 04-22-12, 11:21 PM
HTS Moderator

Joe

My System

Wow - the outlet blends really well......

post #165 of 461 Old 04-23-12, 01:19 PM
Senior Shackster

My System

Very nicely done, Aaron! Great to have such a handy father(-in-law)

I didn't know there were so many types of wodka

PS Audio Marantz Oppo ALR/Jordan Velodyne inakustik Furutech JVC Stewart

Chamber of Dreams

post #166 of 461 Old 04-23-12, 02:06 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Aaron

My System

Quote:
ALMFamily wrote: View Post
Wow - the outlet blends really well......
Thanks, I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out.

Quote:
HTip wrote: View Post
Very nicely done, Aaron! Great to have such a handy father(-in-law)

I didn't know there were so many types of wodka
Thanks!
Yeah, father in-law is a great guy and we get along really well so it is fun working on these projects with him. My dad is good with this stuff too - but he has so many hobbies and side projects, he just comes over to enjoy the finished product

We have a LOT of vodka... we don't drink that much - but we like to keep a fully stocked bar with the option to make just about anything a guest might ask for

- comments welcome!

post #167 of 461 Old 04-23-12, 07:03 PM
Shackster

Aaron,

Only suggestion I would make (although it's a tad late now) is to spread the jack chain parrallel with the light to reduce the chance of swing. And if you use four chains you can reduce horizontal swing as well.

As I said, bit late, but......................

Cheers,
post #168 of 461 Old 04-23-12, 08:56 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Aaron

My System
Quote:
Dotball wrote:
Aaron,

Only suggestion I would make (although it's a tad late now) is to spread the jack chain parrallel with the light to reduce the chance of swing. And if you use four chains you can reduce horizontal swing as well.

As I said, bit late, but......................

Cheers,
Good tips. I had thought of that, but once we got started on it I totally forgot

- comments welcome!

post #169 of 461 Old 04-25-12, 11:22 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Aaron

My System
Had a chance to really try out the pool table light tonight - I like it A LOT! I ended up just taking out the 2 can light bulbs that were over the table so we could have the rest of the area lit up without the annoying shadows on the table - that seemed to work out really well. I may look into running a separate switch for those 2 cans so I can have them on when we aren't playing and off when we are. Other thought was to get the directional "eyeball" fixtures and direct the light to the poker table and to the side wall... We'll see what ends up being a better option.
In the meantime - here are a couple of low light cell phone pics of the table in use:

Friend taking a shot:

- comments welcome!

post #170 of 461 Old 04-26-12, 05:38 PM
Senior Shackster

My System

Wow that's a lot of vodka -you are truly prepared for any kind of mix request!

The pool table setup looks great!