PTAaron's Movie Room/Game Room/Bar - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

82Likes

post #11 of 449 Old 03-08-12, 02:18 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Aaron

My System
Re: PTAaron's Movie Room/Game Room/Bar

Alrighty... lets just move on through the retrospective view here... moving forward another month to April 2010...

I apologize that I only had taken cell phone pictures at the time - but here is what we did:

1) We put up some glass shelving behind the bar to display my Absinthe collection, our Tequila collection, and the various other unique items (Vince Neil wine, Mick Fleetwood autographed wine, etc):

Next we added shelving along the top of the "back wall" as a place to display our microbrew beer bottle collection:

Here is another shot of the bar area:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
- comments welcome!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 449 Old 03-08-12, 02:21 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Aaron

My System

Moving through time to June 2010 - nothing else had changed - but we hit some garage sales in the area and got some great movie posters - spent less than $15for all of these (again sorry for the cell phone quality pictures):

- comments welcome!

post #13 of 449 Old 03-08-12, 02:25 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Aaron

My System

Fast forward to November 2010... this was a big month for the basement!

First I ran some RG-6 over to the sump pump closet and built a little shelf in there for the cable box. In this picture you can see the old IR extender system I had set up - right now I have a smaller setup from Harman Kardon...

Then I mounted a little 19" LED Vizio behind the bar and re-arranged the bar signs:

- comments welcome!

post #14 of 449 Old 03-08-12, 02:30 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Aaron

My System

Later in November I got some extra $ in the form of a vacation hour cash out at work - just in time to catch a great "Black Saturday" sale at Paul's TV... and picked up a little 73" DLP:

- test fitting it... notice the cat checking out the game collection in the "stand" - this used to be out in the game room area as storage. Just happened to be the right height for the TV.

A little later - I got a center channel stand for Christmas:

...... and a few more shots while playing Skyrim. Unfortunately I happened to choose scenes where the lighting was bluish for all of them, so you don't get a real good idea

With the obnoxious overhead fluorescents on:

Normal viewing with room lights off and only the light behind the screen on:

- comments welcome!

post #15 of 449 Old 03-08-12, 03:00 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Aaron

My System

Around mid-January my wife and I were sitting around discussing a plan to redo the bar... which is still going to happen but has been delayed... I came up with a plan to re-do the movie room. I drew up a BEAUTIFUL sketch at 2am:

The next I ordered a set of Emotiva ERD-1 surround speakers that showed up really quick - great company to deal with! Here they are being unboxed:

- comments welcome!

post #16 of 449 Old 03-08-12, 03:05 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Aaron

My System

I started work on carrying out the glorious drawing near the end of January - and took way too many pictures:

Made a new shelf for the built in shelving area that is going to become the equipment rack... this should have been really easy, but it turns out the space is trapezoid shaped, so the shelf needed to be 1" more narrow at the back than the front - simple to fix, but irritating to find out! I assumed the shelf I had brought up to "make a copy of" had just been cut like that on accident.

Here is a shot of the (very cluttered) shelves where the equipment will be going:

AVR will be on the top shelf - I will be putting a fan in the wall on the right side to pull hot air away and into the utility room that is on the other side of the wall.

Then I took on the extremely simple job of installing the gang box for the future can lights. The previous owner had an electrical outlet and a switch that was labeled "neon" on the wall - so I decided to put my switches here. Problem is that they didn't space them out very well - here is the wall marked for a 3 gang box:

... not quite...

Here it is marked for a 4 gang box:

... still not quite... but lets try it anyway:

Nice gaps on either side...

Luckily the cover plate I picked up was "oversized" - so it worked out exactly perfectly!

Here is where that is in the room:

Notice the blank plate at an awkward angle up above the switches? They had a phone jack there... and did a great job of lining that hole up
I will be patching that with the drywall I cut out installing the box - and a poster will be going there anyway so it doesn't matter if my patchwork sucks.

Right now the 2 switches on the right are Lutron IR switches that will control the lights over the door and couch, the space with nothing originally ended up housing an X10 switch before I later picked up a 3rd Maestro...

Just to show how the room looked then - here are a few more pictures...

Left side

I already removed one of the "entertainment center" pieces... looks so unbalanced right now!

Right side

- comments welcome!

post #17 of 449 Old 03-08-12, 03:11 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Aaron

My System

The next weekend my father in-law came over and helped me install 6 can lights - each set of 2 on its own switch.

We got it done quickly with no issues. I haven't taken out the fluorescent panels yet in these pictures.

Finishing up the switches...

MUCH better lighting!! It isn't blindingly bright anymore! ... watching Coolio cook on the cooking channel...

Chessie came down to check out the new lights:

The switch panel as it was initially set up with an x10 switch to control the front of the room set of lights

I had originally intended to do Insteon for lighting control - but decided to save $250 and just buy one more Maestro switch instead.

- comments welcome!

post #18 of 449 Old 03-08-12, 03:14 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Aaron

My System

A few days later I got a nice delivery of toys at work:

We have:
100ft of 14g in wall speaker wire
50ft of RG6 for the subwoofer
25ft high speed rated HDMI cable
3 speaker terminals for the wall (for front speakers)
7.2 "surround sound wall plate"
RCA to "F" adapters
Passthrough plate for wall
...and a RCA keystone jack

All for under $100 shipped! Gotta love Monoprice!!

The next day a trip to Home Depot then Lowes this morning got me another big pile of stuff...
4 double gang low voltage rings
3 double gang decora wall plates
1 single gang low voltage ring
2 keystone wall plates (decora style centers come out)
1 "brush" wall plate (forgot to order 2 pass though plates from monoprice)
1 RCA to "F" keystone connector
...and another maestro IR dimmer switch!

Annoying part is that I could have saved money if I remembered the other plate from monoprice - and also if I had realized Lowes carried the plug I wanted. I usually just go to Home Depot since it is half a mile closer...
Oh well!

- comments welcome!

post #19 of 449 Old 03-08-12, 03:16 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Aaron

My System

First thing I did was install the light switch - that made things look nicer (to my eye anyway!):

Note: also straightened out the box behind the blank plate above the switches so it doesn't look like (as much) anymore. It will be behind a poster when the room is done.

I also decided to make use of the blank plate covering the old room light switch box:

Used some Velcro to attach a lutron remote outside the room ... just so when the wife wants to get to the cedar closet or storage area she can have light in the room before going in.

- comments welcome!

post #20 of 449 Old 03-08-12, 03:20 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Aaron

My System

More from the end of January:
Looks like my equipment rack threw up all over the floor and the TV got smaller!

Speakers just hanging out...

Test fitting components before I cut any holes...

Finished for that day:

Wires look like a gigantic rats nest... I had planned to carefully lay everything out so it wouldn't look like - but wife's cousin stopped by and took us out to dinner while I was laying things out. I ended up just rushing through just to make sure everything worked - and it did... just happened to pick up a nasty ground loop hum!

Don't worry - I cleaned up the wires a little bit...

... and here is a shot of the front of the room from a few days later after I cleaned up the floor and took down the fluorescent fixture:

In case anyone is interested... these are the outlets I installed at the front of the room with speaker wire and subwoofer outlets - there are 2 sub outlets up front just in case... but only one is wired up now:

Behind the TV is this guy here:

- comments welcome!

Last edited by PTAaron; 03-08-12 at 03:34 PM.