PTAaron's Movie Room/Game Room/Bar - Page 23 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

82Likes

post #221 of 449 Old 04-24-13, 08:18 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Aaron

My System
Hey everyone! I'm still alive over here... I've just been avoiding spending too much time on here because it was costing me too much money!

I haven't really made any more headway on replacing my bartop or with finally painting those ceiling tiles - but I hope to do the bar soon. I had a friend come look at it this past weekend, I'm hoping to talk him into helping out soon.

I need to take a look around and see what everyone has been up to while I've been gone! I'll check out your projects this afternoon

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
- comments welcome!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #222 of 449 Old 04-24-13, 03:14 PM
Senior Shackster

My System
Re: PTAaron's Movie Room/Game Room/Bar

Welcome back again Aaron!

I don't know if you're still interested, but I have made some pictures of the "Now Playing" stand. I have to search for them, but that's no problem...

PS Audio Marantz Oppo ALR/Jordan Velodyne inakustik Furutech JVC Stewart

Chamber of Dreams

post #223 of 449 Old 04-25-13, 08:39 AM
HTS Moderator

Joe

My System

Great to hear from you Aaron! Hope everything is going well.

Looking forward to continuing to follow your HT work - have you guys been enjoying the room?

post #224 of 449 Old 12-19-13, 11:11 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Aaron

My System

Quote:
HTip wrote: View Post
Welcome back again Aaron!

I don't know if you're still interested, but I have made some pictures of the "Now Playing" stand. I have to search for them, but that's no problem...
Thanks, but I think I'm OK without it for now - I've been just putting the movie case in the charger base for my Harmony 1100 - it props it up at just the right angle so you can see what movie is being shown
Quote:
ALMFamily wrote: View Post
Great to hear from you Aaron! Hope everything is going well.

Looking forward to continuing to follow your HT work - have you guys been enjoying the room?
Thanks! I've been enjoying the room quite a bit, we've had a few ridiculous movie marathons - and have another planned for the next few weeks. Going to attempt to get through Return of the King extended cut, the first Hobbit movie, then go to the theater and see the new Hobbit movie.

- comments welcome!

post #225 of 449 Old 12-19-13, 11:17 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Aaron

My System

Last month we picked up a few new bar decorations - most importantly we managed to locate a awesome Bada** Lager (apparently I can't say the name of the beer without it being censored) flag that we got for $20 instead of the $100 we have usually seen them going for... so I shot a few pics of the bar/pool table area that I wanted to share with you guys:

We picked up a board for displaying the "drink specials" at our bar - here it is with the Halloween Specials still listed:

... and here is a panoramic of the bar and the back wall that has the bar decorations... As you can see we haven't redone the bar yet, but we did temporarily add in some LED lights under the bar.

- comments welcome!

Last edited by PTAaron; 12-19-13 at 11:37 PM.
post #226 of 449 Old 12-19-13, 11:33 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Aaron

My System

Also shot a quick video for a friend to show him my theater room... thought I would share it here too. It should have a HD version - but there is a bit in there where the camera focused on a funny spot. I'm an amateur, so what do you expect

- comments welcome!

post #227 of 449 Old 12-20-13, 02:41 PM
Senior Shackster

cool game room. cant wait until I am at the pool table stage.

post #228 of 449 Old 08-05-14, 10:14 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Aaron

My System

Hey everyone!
I'm still alive, but it seems that the "home theater bug" has gone into remission... which is kind of sad but also a really good thing for my wallet.
I haven't done much with my room(s) lately aside from adding to the bar decor, adding movies to my collection, and upgrading to the 1080p version of AppleTV.

I still love my room - but it kind of stinks that right now all of my friends are in the "we've got kids so we can't think about grown up toys" stage of life, so they don't really share my excitement. Oh well, it makes me happy!

Anyway - that's where I'm at! Take care everyone!

- comments welcome!

post #229 of 449 Old 04-15-15, 03:48 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Aaron

My System

Wow it has been a long time since I've logged on here... I just have too many forums and hobbies right now. Got some motivation recently to get to work on the bar area - actually my wife decided we needed a Kegerator, and bought all of the parts for it then said "build this for me". So I did!

I documented the process fairly well with pictures because I wanted to finally post some progress over here!

Anyway - we started with a Danby refrigerator (I don't know the model number but it is the one commonly used for this purpose), a couple of old Pepsi ball lock 5 gallon kegs, a nice stainless tap tower with stainless taps, and a 5lb CO2 tank. Sorry I can't provide better descriptions of the parts - but this was literally 100% my wife's project, I just did the labor.

Anyway - first step was to remove the can holders and other things from the door. I tackled that by first going around the perimeter with my Dremel, thinking it was going to be hollow and just pop off:

When I went to pull it off I realized the entire structure was filled with foam - I guess I should have expected that from a nice quality refrigerator! DOH!! I ended up going back with a hack saw and a large cake cutting knife to slice through the foam and make it nice and level:

We needed to find a surface layer for the door to prevent moisture from getting into the foam and to protect it... we spotted a plastic diffuser for a fluorescent light while walking at Home Depot and decided that would be perfect. I cut it to size with a plexiglass cutting tool - and it looked like this:

Used some tub sealing adhesive meant for bonding plastic to plastic to run a bead around the outside to seal it up good - and stuck it all together:

Put the seal back on the door... and it looks like it was made that way :

Next I turned my attention to the main body of the fridge. The top of the fridge has a plastic plate on it that was easily removed with 6 screws - the underside had a little hollow space right where the tap tower was going to be attached.

One of the instructional videos I watched advised filling in that space with a piece of ” plywood. So I cut a piece of plywood, slathered it with Liquid Nails, and slapped the pieces together with some weights to hold it as it dried:

Now it was time for the scary part - drilling a hole in a brand new really nice refrigerator! On the inside I located the center line by lining up with the rear screw of the light fixture - I measured about 1 inch closer to the rear… and drilled a hole up from the inside to mark the center of where my tower would sit. At this point I took off the plastic/wood top piece again to make things easier… I took my 1.5” hole saw and made a hole down from the top down… I knew there weren’t any coolant lines in that area, but it was still stressful for a second or two.

I taped up the hole with some heating duct tape to seal out any moisture from getting in and making things moldy:

I made a matching hole in the wood/plastic cover and after re-installing that I lined that hole with more tape to make sure it was really well sealed up. The rest was pretty easy - set the tower on top, get it centered, drill some pilot holes for some short screws, screw the tower into the plywood… and take more pictures!

We picked up a Bada** Beer tap handle while at the homebrew store picking up some additional fittings for the air hookup - because… well why not?

Hooked up the CO2 and a keg full of Bada** Lager:

First Pour:

… decided to rearrange some of the signs - seemed more appropriate to have the kegerator labeled as the “Cold Beer Testing Station”

Bada** Lager sign looks better behind the bar. (I did center it better, but that picture turned out blurry):

Anyway... there it is!

I am going to put in a recessed light over the kegerator location and tie it in with the bar lighting... otherwise: Project Done!

EDIT: The location of the Kegerator is pretty convenient - we were going to put it behind the bar originally, but we ended up putting it just off the end of the bar on the wall right next to one of the couches located there. The location lets people see it when the walk into the room, and it makes it easy for people to get their own refills.

- comments welcome!

Last edited by PTAaron; 04-15-15 at 04:24 PM. Reason: Apparently the name of the beer in our kegerator violates language rules... sorry.
post #230 of 449 Old 06-27-15, 09:34 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Aaron

My System

I've finally had some free time on the weekends, so I managed to actually use the home theater a bit! Woohoo! I remember why I was so obsessed with this hobby now!

This was the scene 2 weekends ago:

...and this was the scene this morning:

I had to laugh a little bit at myself... I put the blu-ray in the player and then sat there in front of the menu screen picking out the letters to put in the sign... even though I was the only one home that would even see it!

In other news - a co-worker that is into wood working has been making some amazing tap handles for our kegerator, and we brewed an excellent clone of Oberon that is currently on tap.

- comments welcome!