PTAaron's Movie Room/Game Room/Bar - Page 24 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

82Likes

post #231 of 449 Old 09-04-15, 06:15 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Aaron

My System
Re: PTAaron's Movie Room/Game Room/Bar

Last Friday I had a chance to check out my neighbor's billiard room - he has a really nice room in a partially finished section of his basement, the key thing is that he rented a sprayer and painted the ceiling and one of the walls black. It looked amazing, and inspired me to FINALLY finish my ceiling.

Saturday I went out to Home depot and checked out the black paint options - I ended up picking up a can of brand name $3.50/can paint and a can of $.97/can paint to do a side by side comparison on a spare ceiling tile. After letting both dry (the expensive one dried in 15 minutes, cheap one took an hour) it was nearly impossible to tell the difference. Actually the cheap one looked more "flat" than the expensive one even though both were "flat black" - so I went back and bought a case of the cheap stuff.

I have 65 2'x2' tiles in the movie room... so this project is going to be bigger than I realized

I spent Saturday setting up a little paint booth area in my garage and working on the front section and the little side section (35 tiles)...

I wasn't thinking very clearly - possibly as a result of all of the paint fumes I was inhaling as a result of not using a proper respirator, but I installed the tiles once they were dry. Seems like a good idea but I didn't paint the track holding the tiles yet!! DOH!! Here is a photo of the almost completed front area:

At that point I realized 2 things: I needed a proper respirator and I needed to remove all of the rest of the tiles and not put them back until I painted the tracks... so Sunday night I made this beautiful pile of 30 tiles and various recessed lighting parts that needed to be painted:

Here is the room with the tiles missing... I really should have moved everything out when I started this project, but I kind of started it on a whim and didn't really think about the mess I was going to make. Room is going to need a thorough cleaning after I finish.

The one big problem I ran into is that my "touch up" can of Mouse Ears Black that I used for all of the black in my room when I painted it in 2012 had turned into a congealed chunk of black latex floating in a can of clear liquid! Luckily Home Depot was able to scan the label and recreate the paint for me (since they no longer carry Disney colors). While I'm painting the tracks I will be doing some other touch up work where I have accidentally bumped the black trim and scuffed it. I didn't check my can of Sorcerer's Hat Blue - but I am guessing it is probably equally bad - so I will have to get some of that to touch up the side walls while I'm at it.

Anyway - as of this afternoon this is where I am:

22 more tiles and some random parts left to do - unfortunately the rain messed up my chance to work out in the garage last night, but hopefully tonight I can knock out at least half of the tiles and the other pieces before bedtime.

If anyone is following - what do you think?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
- comments welcome!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #232 of 449 Old 09-04-15, 08:18 PM

Ron

My System

Looks great... We rented a sprayer to paint our HT flat black it only took an hour or so with 2 coats. Much less work in my opinion than spraying with spray cans, but there was the rental and cleanup of the paint gun afterwards. In the end the finish looks great either way.

Ron

My Home Theater
Yamaha CX-A5100, (3) JBL 2360A/EV DHA-1s, (3) 1/4 Pie bass bins, (2 pr) JBL 8340As, (2 pr) JBL 8320s, PS3, XBox One, (2) Intel NUCs, Redmere HDMI cables, Monster Signature HTPS7000, (2) Furman Power Conditioners, (2) DTS-10 subs, Panasonic AE8000, SeymourAV 180 (195" diag) scope screen, Darbee Darcet, Panamorph UH-480 lens, (2) Crest Audio 2208, Yamaha XM-4080 & P7000s, (2) MiniDSP DDRC-88M, Oppo UDP-203

post #233 of 449 Old 09-04-15, 11:39 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Aaron

My System

Quote:
ellisr63 wrote: View Post
Looks great... We rented a sprayer to paint our HT flat black it only took an hour or so with 2 coats. Much less work in my opinion than spraying with spray cans, but there was the rental and cleanup of the paint gun afterwards. In the end the finish looks great either way.
I had considered that... somehow in my mind it was "easier" to take down all of the tiles, carry them all upstairs and out to the garage, spray them with paint cans where I had to get a new can every 2.5-3 tiles, then paint the track, then reinstall all of the tiles VS taping off and covering everything that didn't need to be black, spraying it all in place, then cleaning up.
Yeah... good thinking Aaron!

Primary motivator I guess was that this way was cheaper - and I'm all about saving money these days

- comments welcome!

post #234 of 449 Old 09-04-15, 11:52 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Aaron

My System

Had a productive evening... knocked out another 13 tiles, 4 recessed light cans and rings, and the HVAC register in about an hour.

Have 9 tiles and 3.5 cans of paint left... might have JUST enough paint to finish up tomorrow night then paint the rails Sunday. I will probably pick up another can or 2 just to be safe though

- comments welcome!

post #235 of 449 Old 09-07-15, 12:12 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Aaron

My System
Got a lot done today. Finished painting the tiles, and went to work on the frame in the room - again with excessive photo documentation:
Room all cleared out in the afternoon:

All done for the night:

I rushed things a bit and ended up having to do a lot of touch ups on the track and on the tiles as I was installing them... but all in all it looks pretty decent. Looks perfect at movie viewing levels of light
I ran into a minor issue in that blue painter tape is hard to see on my blue walls - so I had to keep a wet rag handy to clean up when I accidentally painted where the tape wasn't!

In case anyone was wondering - the paint I used on the tiles was this:

The trigger attachment made a world of difference. On average I was getting 3 2'x2' tiles out of one can of paint - just running out as I was finishing the edges on the 3rd tile each time. At $.97 per can it was very affordable. I'll get some actual "after" pictures once I move the equipment back in... but for now - there ya have it.

- comments welcome!

Last edited by PTAaron; 09-20-15 at 01:06 PM.
post #236 of 449 Old 09-08-15, 12:25 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Aaron

My System

Today it was time to put the room back together!

Started out by removing my tape and plastic - to discover to my horror that the "easy release" tape removed a whole line of blue paint when it came off one section of wall!!!!

I ran out to the garage to grab my leftover paint from when we painted the room originally... to discover that it, like the can of Mouse Ears Black paint, had turned into a useless chunk. Luckily the "formula" is still mostly visible on top of the can, so there is a good chance Home Depot can make me a new batch. Still - this was not good news!

I proceeded with moving everything back into the room anyway - in the end it turned out looking pretty good!

I just have to do some touch up with blue paint - and the room will be complete again.

In retrospect I should probably have gone with "flat" paint for the rails/tracks in the ceiling - but I went with "eggshell" so that I could use the paint to patch up a few areas that were painted black originally. For some reason back then I had done the black in an eggshell finish. The only reason it is a minor issue is that I had touched up a few tiles with the "mouse ears" paint, and those areas are slightly noticeable because they aren't "flat black" but have a slight sheen. I'm not worried about it though - most people will never notice.

- comments welcome!

post #237 of 449 Old 09-11-15, 03:18 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Aaron

My System

Home Depot saved the day for me... they were able to look up the paint code under "Competitors" and recreate the Sorcerer's Hat color for me! The lady at the paint counter let me know that the "new people" working there would have tried to just scan and color match it, which would have been hit or miss... so if anyone is looking for a discontinued color have them search under competitor's paints and they should be able to hook you up.

Anyway - as expected it took very little effort to paint over the damaged area, then use a small brush to cover any remaining little lines of white that I found. Room is now complete, and looks excellent. I will be giving it a "real" test run Sunday morning when I finally watch Battle of the Five Armies. Can't wait!!

Future plans for the space:
1) (most likely to happen) Finally redo the bar to have a nice wood bartop that is at proper bar height instead of "countertop" height
2) Continue to consider going to a projector/screen setup.
3) Eventually move to 4K when the prices are reasonable and there is enough content out there to justify it.
4) Purchase the new version of AppleTV for this room, move my 1080p version to the living room, and move the "old" version to the bedroom.
5) Consider an AVR that supports the newer surround sound protocols - although this will be less likely because it will mean I need to buy more speakers as well.

- comments welcome!

post #238 of 449 Old 09-13-15, 01:59 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Aaron

My System

Just watched The Hobbit: Battle of the Five Armies... and while the movie was a bit of a long drawn out let down, the new black ceiling made the room feel like a real movie theater! It really made it easy to just get lost in the screen and forget anything else was around.

- comments welcome!

post #239 of 449 Old 09-16-15, 08:58 AM
HTS Moderator

Lou

My System

Impressive work! The kegerator is magnificent, though the mechanics and execution are over my head.

I try to be as good as my dog thinks I am
post #240 of 449 Old 09-20-15, 01:01 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Aaron

My System

Quote:
Lumen wrote: View Post
Impressive work! The kegerator is magnificent, though the mechanics and execution are over my head.
Thank you! I have to give a lot of the credit to my wife... she found the plans on line, bought all the parts, and said "since you're not busy... can you build me this?"
I'm just a monkey with a hammer (or in this case a dremel and a drill) doing what I'm told!

- comments welcome!