PTAaron's Movie Room/Game Room/Bar - Page 27 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

93Likes

post #261 of 460 Old 12-20-15, 09:25 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Aaron

My System
Re: PTAaron's Movie Room/Game Room/Bar

Quote:
luisv wrote: View Post
Totally agreed, it must be great to pour a fresh brew, especially if you're into home brewing as it makes it that more convenient. I will be do some additional reading for sure and hope to tackle the project after the holidays.
It was my wife's project, but I can get you more info on the parts we used if you are interested.

Quote:
ellisr63 wrote: View Post
How long will a keg last once you start it (shelf life)?
I'm sure there is a shelf life to it - but we had our clone of Bell's Oberon on tap for a little over 2 months and it still tasted the same as when we kegged it. It is sealed in an oxygen free container and kept between 30-40 degrees so in theory it should be as good (as far as storage time) as if it was stored in a can or bottle.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
- comments welcome!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #262 of 460 Old 12-20-15, 09:27 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Aaron

My System

Alrighty...finally swapped out the driver on my subwoofer, and I know subjective evaluation is kind of meaningless - but it sounded great. I played a bunch of scenes on my Home Theater Demo disc and there were a few times where I could "feel the bass" where I wasn't really "feeling it" before. I don't know enough about subs to know if it is possible to get better lower end from a sub just be changing out the speaker, but my pantlegs were vibrating with some scenes and that didn't happen before. I also played the fireworks scene from Ironman 2 because I used to get a sound like the sub was bottoming out before - didn't happen with the Infinity driver.

=====

Anyway - on to the swap... it was really easy.

"Before"

I removed the screws from the driver, but it was pretty well stuck in place - so I decided to take off the amp, which was also stuck in place pretty well. A little prying with a screwdriver and it popped off - and I remembered that I had filled the sub with polyfill a while back... don't know how I forgot about that! In the process I chipped the paint in the corner - the folded piece of cardboard I was using to protect the finish slipped.

There was a lot of polyfill!

Had to pry the driver loose too - doubled up on the protective cardboard this time It popped loose pretty quickly - apparently there was a gasket in place that was holding it on.
I put on the gasket that came with the 1260 - I put a little extra on to cover some screw holes that weren't in line.

Dropped the 1260W in place so that the screw holes were off center from the original screw holes which was kind of unnecessary because the 1260W frame seems wider - it actually fills in the whole hole, unlike the eD driver. I predrilled the holes and tightened the screws down like I was tightening up a wheel on a car - in a criss cross pattern.

I crimped on a couple of connectors, stuffed the polyfill back in, put the amp back on - and it sounded awesome.

EDIT: forgot the picture of the connectors:

A few comparison photos:

I'll get some readings with REW later - didn't have time to do it tonight because I got to busy watching movie clips.

- comments welcome!

Last edited by PTAaron; 12-21-15 at 10:14 PM.
post #263 of 460 Old 12-20-15, 09:46 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Aaron

My System
Rearranged the basement a bit - and got the popcorn machine into its new home.

Just need to add a sign or 2 to label it as the refreshment counter:

Did add a little table after taking the first photo... Just something temporary - my wife is actually really liking the idea of a snack area so we might get a little display cabinet or something.

...and of course had to make a batch of popcorn... this time I used this stuff - and it was GREAT!

Ended up with way too much - hopefully my coworkers want popcorn tomorrow

- comments welcome!

Last edited by PTAaron; 12-21-15 at 10:04 PM.

post #264 of 460 Old 12-21-15, 10:13 AM
Shackster

My System

Thanks for sharing! What a journey and without knowing you from Adam, I have to say you have to be one of the nicest people around.
post #265 of 460 Old 12-21-15, 10:18 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Aaron

My System

Quote:
albe wrote: View Post
Thanks for sharing! What a journey and without knowing you from Adam, I have to say you have to be one of the nicest people around.
Haha! Thanks.
Is that because I'm bringing popcorn to my coworkers?

- comments welcome!

post #266 of 460 Old 12-27-15, 09:55 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Aaron

My System

Spent some time today relearning how to use REW and my measurement equipment so I could see if the new driver in my subwoofer made any actual differences.

My fancy setup...

Here is an old graph from 2012 when I was working on getting a Feedback Destroyer integrated into my system:

Graph from today - I wanted to clean it up a bit but REW crashed and I didn't get to save the file. I tested at listening position and slightly in front of it - both with and without the polyfill stuffing in the sub:

Then I decided to plug up the port and run another test to see what happens:

Interesting to see a 5db boost as low as 10hz that turns into a drop after 15hz... not sure that the information means anything useful - but it was neat to try.

In case anyone was curious - this is my rats nest of an equipment rack as it looks currently:

- comments welcome!

post #267 of 460 Old 01-10-16, 06:48 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Aaron

My System

Stopped by Detroit Popcorn Company yesterday and picked up some goodies:

Set up a little Concession area:

- comments welcome!

post #268 of 460 Old 01-10-16, 09:13 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Aaron

My System

I don't think I ever shared the photos of some of the smaller changes I made in the room last month...

Kind of hard to get a good photo of this one because the room isnt very bright - but you get the idea:

I thought it was a cool addition - looks a lot better in person than in the pictures

I also replaced my rear surround speakers... I had been using a pair of random KLH speaker that I had laying around when I first set up the room, so I decided to get something a little better without spending much money. I decided on this set from Dayton because they were roughly the same size and had decent enough looking stats.

Not high end stuff by any means... but they work for me

- comments welcome!

post #269 of 460 Old 01-23-16, 10:30 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Aaron

My System

Latest project has been installing an ethernet network in the house - until now all of the internet connections in the theater room have been via wifi. The main wireless router is upstairs in my wife's office, so I installed a bridge in the furnace room next to the theater.
Last weekend I decided I wanted a hard line to my PS4 since I've been online with it quite a bit playing Star Wars Battlefront - so I cut a hole in the wall in my wife's office and ran some Cat5e down into the basement and along the ceiling tiles to plug into the PS4.

After noticing the huge improvement in speed (network test indicated that the speed was doubled!!) I decided I wanted to hook up everything else to hard lines.

I grabbed an old wireless router that I had laying around and put that into the mix to get everything else networked as a short term solution:

After getting some great advice in the Networking section on AVS I decided to redo the way the internet gets distributed in my house - so I ordered an ethernet switch and bought another router.

Last night I had all of my parts together and got to work!

First step was building a shelf to hold everything - luckily I had a scrap shelf piece laying around... bundled up my cables to make things look nicer... redid the distribution of my cable/internet service where it comes into the house... moved the cable modem, "phone service" modem, a wireless router, and a TP-Link 8 port switch onto the new shelf.

Ran out of time to run the cat 5e line up to the second floor - so that will be something to do tomorrow.

- comments welcome!

post #270 of 460 Old 03-02-16, 12:11 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Aaron

My System

I've been busy with the "network connection room"...
First thing I did was add a couple of outlets under my "network shelf" so I could get rid of the power strip and make it look less like it was set up by a child:

Not super exciting, but there you have it

Around the same time I was doing that I saw some nice looking fairly cheap speaker cables on Monoprice - figured it would save me the trouble of making my own "fancy" speaker cables so I had to order them:

...I think I need to dust my wall...

So that was about 3 weeks ago.

- comments welcome!