PTAaron's Movie Room/Game Room/Bar - Page 28 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

93Likes

post #271 of 460 Old 03-02-16, 12:15 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Aaron

My System
Re: PTAaron's Movie Room/Game Room/Bar

I started talking with a friend of mine about trying to distribute some video over the network - and he decided it was time I finally got a Home Theater Computer, so he built me one!

It is an older HP 6460b laptop running Kodi on OpenELEC connected to my AVR via Display Port to HDMI cable.
I used a metal shelf I had laying around that we originally bought for our smoker (turned out to be for the wrong model) to make a computer shelf:

I picked up a 6TB desktop harddrive at Costco for storing media on... Ended up looking like this:

I also ran a Cat6 cable to a panel in the theater room so I could plug in for a faster connection - didn't bother taking pictures because I'm sure you guys know what a Cat6 plug looks like...

"Network shelf" looks like this now:

I just ordered an 8 port cable TV booster/distribution block so I will be bringing my cable connection into the and setting that up this coming weekend. We've got a few too many splitters in the system right now and we're having issues with our upstairs TVs, hopefully this plan will help.

Anyway - that's where we are right now...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
- comments welcome!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by PTAaron; 03-16-16 at 05:58 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 460 Old 03-16-16, 05:56 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Aaron

My System

Been doing a lot lately... I got some new HT seating, redid the way my cable TV is distributed to fix a few problems, re-purposed my old AVR as an amp, and have some major renovation plans including building a wall, moving a door, and building a riser.

If anyone is following along I'd be happy to post up pictures and give some descriptions of what I've been doing, just let me know.

I will be starting a "v1.5" thread once I start working on the wall/riser/door stuff because it is actually construction

- comments welcome!

post #273 of 460 Old 03-23-16, 03:49 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Aaron

My System

I thought about doing a new build thread, but I'll just keep it in here...
So a few weekends ago I found an amazing deal at Costco on some top grain leather electric recline home theater seats and picked up 3:

Putting these in the room required my sectional couch to be moved out, obviously. This allowed me to move my front speakers out wider, which wasn't an option before due to the location of the couch.

Of course this setup makes me wish I had a second subwoofer - but that's jus tnot in the budget right now.

The obvious problem here is that I went from having seating for 5-6 people to having seating for 3 people. I pulled in the dual recliner section from my sectional as a "back row" just to check spacing and realized there is plenty of room:

- comments welcome!

post #274 of 460 Old 03-23-16, 04:43 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Aaron

My System

After ignoring the fact that I needed a better solution for a little bit my wife finally said "Why don't you build a riser or something?"
I wanted to do that - but once she asked I new I had to come up with a plan ASAP!

The plan I came up with involved removing the double doors to the room and building a wall in their place, cutting a hole in the wall next to the double doors to make a new door, and building an 8' wide riser. I had to agree that I would put a TV on the new wall so that my wife could still have something to watch when she was on the treadmill as the only caveat to the plan. No problem!

I drew up my initial set of plans basing it on an 8' wide riser that was 6'6" deep (to allow for a reclining rear row), 12" high (riser calculations said I needed 10.7" so why not round up?). This was the original set of plans:

-

-

After some discussion with someone who had built many home theaters I decided to make the step deeper - went with 36"... and when I sketched it up I realized that an 8' wide riser is just too small given the amount of space I was going to have available. The back of my room is 12'8" wide, so I opted for a 9' wide riser instead to leave room for a walkway.
This is the layout I came up with (the door in this drawing is opening right instead of left as it will be in the real thing - I forgot to flip it):

- comments welcome!

post #275 of 460 Old 03-23-16, 04:47 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Aaron

My System

I started on this project Sunday 3/19/16... after many delays I made very little progress.

This is how it looked Sunday morning when I started:

Home Depot's selection of 2"x12"x10' boards was just horrendous and Lowes wasn't much better but I managed to find some board that weren't destroyed.

Got my "DIY Riser and Wall Kit" (without the OSB, drywall, or insulation) home after 2 and a half hours of picking things out:

First problem I ran into was the wire running through the spot where the new door was to be placed. I knew the wire would be there because the switch for the movie room used to be located outside the room on the wall - and when we rewired to switches in the room we kept the wire there for the outlet. Problem was that I thought power went TO the outlet, it turns out the power was coming FROM the outlet so my plan to simply eliminate it wasn't going to work.

Around that time I decided I should probably tape out the riser on the floor to figure out exactly where I wanted the door to go:

Ripped out some more drywall...

Right around that time my sister stopped by with my 18 month old niece, so I stopped working for about an hour. Went back down to get back to work on figuring out a plan for moving the electrical that was in the way of the door. As I was unhooking everything my friend showed up to bring me a new HTPC setup - so naturally work stopped again so we could set it up and test it out.

Eventually I got back to work and discovered that by a perfect stroke of luck the space between the double studs from the old door and another set of double studs to the right of the "new door location" were spaced exactly 33 3/4" apart - just about the right spacing for the 32" door I had planned for the new wall!

My father in-law stopped by a little later and with his help I rerouted the electrical around the door instead of across it. I ended Sunday night with ZERO new construction completed, but a nice new hole in the wall.

- comments welcome!

post #276 of 460 Old 03-23-16, 04:54 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Aaron

My System

Monday I didn't get anything done in the room... too much other stuff going on.
Tuesday morning I picked up my door - nothing fancy because my budget is very small, just a 6 panel 32" door from Menards that was on sale. My room is not isolated or soundproofed at all at this time - maybe version 3.0 will get that treatment, but a regular door will work fine for now.

Tuesday night I got home around 9:30pm and immediately got to work cutting out the boards for my wall because I was determined to actually build something before going to bed. This was my first ever attempt at building a wall, so I measured everything 5 times so I could cut just once

It popped right into place... and by "popped right into place" I mean I fought with it for about 15 minutes before realizing a carpet tack strip that I thought was "clear" was in the way and was wedging the wall from moving.

I also set the door up in it's space to see how that would look - it doesn't fit yet because I have to trim what are going to be the top cripple studs down a bit more and put in the board that will be across the top.

Here is the bad news... As I was trying to get things lined up I realized there were 2 problems: 1) the first stud in my new wall that is on the left side appears to bow a little bit so when the top plate and bottom plate are lined up the center of it is not lined up with the stud it is up against. I think I can correct this as I nail it into place. 2) the bigger issue is that 3 of the 6 boards are about 1/16" off from being centered at the top! Apparently assembling it on carpet gave me the illusion things were lined up perfectly when I popped the nails into the frame when they were actually sitting a bit low. I am going to have to pop the wall back out, pull out the nails, and redo them. Could be worse, but it still sucks.

I almost forgot to mention the funny part about last night's work:
I told myself "before you put in the wall, be sure to put all of the seats back into the room" - I figured it would be a lot easier with a 6' wide door instead of a 32" wide door. So I got the wall knocked into place, stepped back to admire my work, and looked to my left:

DOH! LOL!

Luckily I have to fix those misaligned boards - hope I remember tonight.

- comments welcome!

post #277 of 460 Old 03-24-16, 02:52 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Aaron

My System

I'll just keep copying and pasting my progress over here just in case anyone is paying attention:

New plan now is to make the riser 9'6" wide - I double checked everything and that still leaves 3-4 inches between the edge of the riser and the door frame - and it leaves me 3'2" of "walkway" space.

Last night I adjusted the studs to be flush - turns out a big hammer and a block of wood is more efficient than pulling nails and renailing. Got the new wall lined up, level, and plumb and nailed it into place and secured the bottom with Tapcon screws. Did another test fit with the door and everything looks good - just need to do a little more trimming of the "cripple" studs above the door to get the top board in. Didn't bother last night because it was late when I was working on it and I wasn't going to be able to cut any boards out in the garage.

I did a little testing to see where exactly I want to put the TV in the pool table/bar area - turns out my Dark Knight poster is the same size as a typical 40" flatscreen. Determined the "best" spot with my wife's input since this is for her, and attached my gang boxes. There is a double box for behind the TV that is an outlet on one side and a low voltage open box on the other side, for the lines to the TV. TV will have one input from a cable box that it will share with the TV over the bar (bar TV will use the component outputs, new TV will use the HDMI) and another input that will come from the AVR via a splitter. Also decided to add 2 outlets on the "bar" side of the wall instead of 1 at floor level, and I will also be adding 2 on the back wall on the "theater" side of the wall. I'd rather have the outlets and never need them, than want them and not have a way to add them.

Plan for tonight is to wire up the outlets and bring the wiring over to where it will connect into an existing circuit that is not the same as the one I had to move on Sunday (but not connecting it), cut and assemble the riser frame, cut and install the header in the door opening. If there is time I am going to start cutting holes in the riser for outlets/lights.

Photo of last night's fun:

- comments welcome!

post #278 of 460 Old 03-25-16, 12:28 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Aaron

My System

Thursday night was once again extremely unproductive! The big problem is I get home late so if anything comes up I can't get out into the garage to cut boards without being "that neighbor"... and my neighbors were very patient with me when I redid my deck so I don't want to push my luck.
I managed to get the wall mostly wired. Father in-law is dropping off some 14-3 wire tomorrow so I can do the run from the switch into the riser for the riser lights and outlets. Just need to run the power into the wall and that part is done.

The orange coil is the cat 6 line that will run to the front of the riser.

I also adjusted my tape version of the riser to make sure I really want to go 9'6" wide - and I am sure I do. I payed out the boxes for my riser lights - and I think I'm going to need less than I planned. I have 2 now and 2 more on the way - but it looks like 2 on the steps and 1 before the steps should be enough.

So that's the poor progress update for Thursday!

I'm just going to go ahead and plan on Friday being useless as well but maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised and finally get the riser frame built.

- comments welcome!

post #279 of 460 Old 03-28-16, 11:52 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Aaron

My System
Thumbs up Re: PTAaron's Movie Room/Game Room/Bar

*tap tap* This thing on?

Lots of progress this past weekend:

Saturday I got my OSB:

3/4" OSB is heavy when you're putting it up on your roof by yourself!

Picked up some 5/8" drywall - also very heavy when you're putting it on your roof... Especially when you get home and realize you actually needed 1/2" drywall and have to go back to return it!

Got to work and the drywall went up fast:

Started putting the riser together and realized I forgot to add more joists to the plan when I increased the riser size! Doh! I realized i needed 2 more 2x6s to get things finished.

Anyway here is where the riser was when I went to bed Saturday:

Sunday morning before the family Easter get together I managed to get the framing finished and added a couple of 2x4s across the bottom for stability since the 2x12s were a little warped.

Very productive Easter evening...
Got the cut my OSB, wired the riser, stuffed the riser with insulation, put on the first layer of OSB, and then decided I didn't feel like messing with roofing felt at midnight

This morning before work I was able to get all of my outlets and the switch for the riser lights connected, but I had to stop and get ready for work before I was able to connect it all to power.

Won't have any time to work on it tonight until after my wife is asleep - so no power tools... I will be laying out the roofing felt on top of the first layer of OSB and positioning the second layer of OSB on top so I can screw it down in the morning. I will also be finishing up the electric and turning on the breaker to see how I did.
thrillcat likes this.

- comments welcome!

post #280 of 460 Old 03-29-16, 02:22 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Aaron

My System

Last night I ended up having less time than I expected... only got the outlets all finished (remembered I hadn't hooked up the double gang box's outlets yet), the riser lights installed, and the romex pulled and connected to get power to the new wall and riser.
The Lutron Maestro switch works really well for the riser lights and I like that I can set it to always turn on at a specific level and double tap the switch to get full brightness. I have my 3 sets of can lights wired up with IR Maestro switches and set to slowly dim on and off to make the transition easier when watching movies

Tonight I might not have much time either - but I need to get the roofing felt and top layer on and fastened, cut the boards for the step and install them, and hang the door.

- comments welcome!