PTAaron's Movie Room/Game Room/Bar - Page 30 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

82Likes

post #291 of 449 Old 04-05-16, 10:48 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Aaron

My System
Re: PTAaron's Movie Room/Game Room/Bar

Quote:
Prof. wrote: View Post
Looks like a very comfy room!..Well done..
Thanks! I'm very happy with how it is turning out. It is turning into the room I always wanted to build but didn't think I would ever get to.

Quote:
ellisr63 wrote: View Post
Looks great! Be careful what you do before your company arrives. I don't know how many times i have been working on the system, and Murphys Laws kicked in, and I had to work all night trying to get something working again.
I thought I replied to this on Saturday... doh!
I was very careful about what I did, and I tested everything beforehand just to be sure!

The "pre-grand opening" went well. I ran some demo clips for my friends - it turns out the back row is a lot more fun for movies because of the extra bass along the back wall and the riser giving the seats a bit of rumble. Makes me really want to do butt shakers on the front row. Friends seemed to really like it.
Gave a brief demo of the HTPC/Kodi setup running CinemaVision a little later in the night and it ran perfectly! Overall it was a good showing.

I'm a little disappointed in the bass at the main listening position right now - I am going to run REW and see just what things actually look like.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
- comments welcome!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #292 of 449 Old 04-06-16, 11:52 AM

Ron

My System

Quote:
PTAaron wrote: View Post
Thanks! I'm very happy with how it is turning out. It is turning into the room I always wanted to build but didn't think I would ever get to.

I thought I replied to this on Saturday... doh!
I was very careful about what I did, and I tested everything beforehand just to be sure!

The "pre-grand opening" went well. I ran some demo clips for my friends - it turns out the back row is a lot more fun for movies because of the extra bass along the back wall and the riser giving the seats a bit of rumble. Makes me really want to do butt shakers on the front row. Friends seemed to really like it.
Gave a brief demo of the HTPC/Kodi setup running CinemaVision a little later in the night and it ran perfectly! Overall it was a good showing.

I'm a little disappointed in the bass at the main listening position right now - I am going to run REW and see just what things actually look like.
You have the same problem I have...great bass in the 2nd row, with minimal bass in the front row.

Ron

My Home Theater
Yamaha CX-A5100, (3) JBL 2360A/EV DHA-1s, (3) 1/4 Pie bass bins, (2 pr) JBL 8340As, (2 pr) JBL 8320s, PS3, XBox One, (2) Intel NUCs, Redmere HDMI cables, Monster Signature HTPS7000, (2) Furman Power Conditioners, (2) DTS-10 subs, Panasonic AE8000, SeymourAV 180 (195" diag) scope screen, Darbee Darcet, Panamorph UH-480 lens, (2) Crest Audio 2208, Yamaha XM-4080 & P7000s, (2) MiniDSP DDRC-88M, Oppo UDP-203

post #293 of 449 Old 04-06-16, 12:16 PM
Elite Shackster

My System

Quote:
You have the same problem I have...great bass in the 2nd row, with minimal bass in the front row.

First row(world) problems...lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #294 of 449 Old 04-07-16, 08:45 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Aaron

My System
Quote:
It's a bit irritating... but I'm thinking its more a matter of perspective. I thought the bass was good in my only row of seats before, and it was slightly better about a foot forward of that position, which is where my front row is now!
There is just "more boom" in the back - not sure if that is good from the audiophile perspective or not, but like it from the "guy who likes to feel explosions" perspective!
Everything else is better in the front row though - even my little 73" screen looks bigger in this setup!

Quote:
willis7469 wrote: View Post
First row(world) problems...lol Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Haha! Yeah, feel a little silly complaining that "the second row of my home theater has better bass than the first row" - but this is the place to do it and actually get sympathy/empathy! LOL!
ellisr63 likes this.

- comments welcome!

post #295 of 449 Old 04-07-16, 12:38 PM

Ron

My System

Quote:
It's a bit irritating... but I'm thinking its more a matter of perspective. I thought the bass was good in my only row of seats before, and it was slightly better about a foot forward of that position, which is where my front row is now!
There is just "more boom" in the back - not sure if that is good from the audiophile perspective or not, but like it from the "guy who likes to feel explosions" perspective!
Everything else is better in the front row though - even my little 73" screen looks bigger in this setup!

Haha! Yeah, feel a little silly complaining that "the second row of my home theater has better bass than the first row" - but this is the place to do it and actually get sympathy/empathy! LOL!
I have been contemplating moving my sub platform to under the front row, and removing the platform in the rear...replacing it with a bar, and chairs. I would then add one more seat to the front row, and it would have the best sound including the bass.

Ron

My Home Theater
Yamaha CX-A5100, (3) JBL 2360A/EV DHA-1s, (3) 1/4 Pie bass bins, (2 pr) JBL 8340As, (2 pr) JBL 8320s, PS3, XBox One, (2) Intel NUCs, Redmere HDMI cables, Monster Signature HTPS7000, (2) Furman Power Conditioners, (2) DTS-10 subs, Panasonic AE8000, SeymourAV 180 (195" diag) scope screen, Darbee Darcet, Panamorph UH-480 lens, (2) Crest Audio 2208, Yamaha XM-4080 & P7000s, (2) MiniDSP DDRC-88M, Oppo UDP-203

post #296 of 449 Old 04-08-16, 09:53 PM
HTS Moderator

Lou

My System

Quote:
willis7469 wrote: View Post
First row(world) problems...lol
Okay, all you have your laughing! I'm Relegated to no-row problems.
Very nice setup just the same - enjoy!!

I try to be as good as my dog thinks I am
post #297 of 449 Old 04-09-16, 12:44 AM
Elite Shackster

My System

Quote:
Lumen wrote: View Post
Okay, all you have your laughing! I'm Relegated to no-row problems.
Very nice setup just the same - enjoy!!

Me too Lou. One seat wonder...
Best one in tha hoowwse!!!

post #298 of 449 Old 04-10-16, 12:39 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Aaron

My System
You guys are funny.

Last night I had a chance to watch a full movie at "proper volume" and I have to say that the bass problem seemed to go away! The main listening position was shaking plenty when I cranked it up to -15 for the first time while using the AVR-635 as an amp with the 3600 acting as a processor.

Today some friends came over and I was trying to show them how easy Kodi is to use and how they need to set up a HTPC for themselves... Of course the first 3 movie files I tried to show them wouldn't play!! Somehow Back to the Future 1-3 were all unplayable!! I ripped them myself 3 weeks ago and they worked fine when I tested them.
Wasn't exactly a ringing endorsement for the setup!
ellisr63 likes this.

- comments welcome!

post #299 of 449 Old 04-10-16, 11:55 AM

Ron

My System

Quote:
You guys are funny.

Last night I had a chance to watch a full movie at "proper volume" and I have to say that the bass problem seemed to go away! The main listening position was shaking plenty when I cranked it up to -15 for the first time while using the AVR-635 as an amp with the 3600 acting as a processor.

Today some friends came over and I was trying to show them how easy Kodi is to use and how they need to set up a HTPC for themselves... Of course the first 3 movie files I tried to show them wouldn't play!! Somehow Back to the Future 1-3 were all unplayable!! I ripped them myself 3 weeks ago and they worked fine when I tested them.
Wasn't exactly a ringing endorsement for the setup!
I hate it when that happens.

Ron

My Home Theater

post #300 of 449 Old 04-10-16, 09:09 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Aaron

My System
Quote:
I hate it when that happens.
I figured out the problem though - I had tweaked a setting in the CinemaVision add-on to try to compensate for the delay my receiver has in locking onto the audio signal... Apparently it was making the "Feature presentation" play incorrectly. Anyway - easy fix once I thought through what the only options were that I had messed with recently.
Turns out the files were not corrupted.

Watched "Funny Farm" today with my parents over and sat in the back row to see how it was "got real" - and it was really enjoyable Not exactly a "demonstration quality" piece of cinema, but my parents picked it. Planning on finishing the drywall next month - just want to enjoy it for a little while.

- comments welcome!