PTAaron's Movie Room/Game Room/Bar - Page 31 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

82Likes

post #301 of 449 Old 04-13-16, 05:06 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Aaron

My System
Re: PTAaron's Movie Room/Game Room/Bar

Some HT goodies showed up from Amazon last night: a new scooper for the popcorn machine that has holes to stop old maids from getting scooped up, some new metal thumbsticks for my PS4 controller, a FLIRC module for the HTPC, and a 10' long USB extension cable to connect the FLIRC to the computer from the equipment rack where the IR blasters from my remote are.

The FLIRC is an AWESOME addition! I was having fun controlling the HTPC from my phone and tablet, which is still better for picking a movie, but it is really nice to have the ability to go through menus and control the movie from my Harmony 1100.

I am going to play around a little and see if I can get the "macro workaround" to work with this so I can have the lights go down on play, come up on pause, and go full bright on stop like they do with blu-rays. Only part that is slightly tricky is that I will have to set up my old Harmony 880 to control Kodi too so I can send the proper command sequences to record on the 1100.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
- comments welcome!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #302 of 449 Old 04-17-16, 10:38 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Aaron

My System
Working on the drywall this weekend... I'm not good at this at all! LOL!
I feel like the whole wall will be mud by the time I'm done trying to make it even.

ellisr63 likes this.

- comments welcome!

post #303 of 449 Old 04-18-16, 05:55 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Aaron

My System

As of last night we were on coat 3 of mud... and it was looking good until it dried and I ended up with a bunch of bubbles! Coat 4 will be going on tonight - VERY thin... hoping to be done. To keep myself from trying to rush it I haven't bought the paint yet, so hopefully that plan works.

I had done the front black wall with an eggshell finish - I think I'll be doing the back wall with a flat finish, then also applying another coat of paint to the front wall with the flat paint. The black trim in the room will continue to be eggshell.
I'm also debating how to finish the entry door - I kind of want to do something "different" with the door trim but I'm not 100% sure what.

- comments welcome!

post #304 of 449 Old 04-26-16, 11:20 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Aaron

My System

Summary of the last week and a half for you guys - as of last night I've got the "new" wall painted on both sides - 2 coats of white on the "pool hall and bar" side of the wall and 2 coats of Mouse Ears flat black on the inside of the theater. Door casings installed and painted mouse ears flat black - outside of the door has "fancy pants" casing with fluted trim and corner blocks at the top, inside is just standard trim. Door has been painted with 2 coats of Mouse Ears on both sides - funny story is that I learned that the door was warped after I pulled the pins on the hinges and popped it off! Makes it REALLY hard to put it back on the hinges the same way!! Fun.

Some pictures showing the progress up to last night (door was still drying in a few spots):

Painted "outside" wall:

Door:

Rest of the space is a bit of a mess still... so that's all ya get for the moment.

The biggest hurdle I've run into is that I can't seem to find anywhere selling base molding that matches what I currently have in the rest of the basement! I thought it would be REALLY easy to find plain boring squared off trim like this:

Apparently I am wrong! I did find some MDF that is the 3.5" wide and primed, but it is about twice the thickness of regular trim... so I'm not sure how well that is going to work out. I'll give it a try and see what happens.

Short term to do list for the inside of the room:
  1. Finish base molding
  2. Reinstall outlet plates
  3. Put seats back in place on riser
  4. Hang movie posters

Short term to do list for the bar area side of the wall:
  1. Install base molding
  2. Buy and install TV
  3. Figure out how to run cable to new TV so it will display the same as the bar TV
  4. Figure out exactly how I want the "concession area" to look and get it set up
  5. Figure out where the blu-ray/DVD storage is going to end up
  6. Figure out the cable setup to make the new TV mirror the theater

- comments welcome!

post #305 of 449 Old 04-28-16, 07:11 PM
Elite Shackster

OJ

My System
The little things tend to add up, but your list isn't too bad! The room is looking really good. Keep up the great work,and keep posting updates for us too. We tend to enjoy the minutiae.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using HT Shack
PTAaron likes this.

- OJ -

post #306 of 449 Old 04-29-16, 12:12 AM
Elite Shackster

My System
Re: PTAaron's Movie Room/Game Room/Bar - comments welcome!!

Looking good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PTAaron likes this.
post #307 of 449 Old 04-30-16, 12:31 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Aaron

My System
Re: PTAaron's Movie Room/Game Room/Bar - comments welcome!!

Quote:
Owen Bartley wrote: View Post
The little things tend to add up, but your list isn't too bad! The room is looking really good. Keep up the great work,and keep posting updates for us too. We tend to enjoy the minutiae.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using HT Shack
Quote:
willis7469 wrote: View Post
Looking good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks guys!

- comments welcome!

post #308 of 449 Old 04-30-16, 12:33 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Aaron

My System

Finished up Wednesday night with all of the construction related items.
Ended up using the slightly thicker MDF for the "bar side" of the wall - it matched up nicely with the plinth blocks of the door casing.

Inside the room the MDF did not match up well with the door trim - much too thick. I ended up cheating and just using a short piece of the original base molding at the edge so that it looks complete before the back row seats hide the fact the rest of it is missing. This will let me at least make it look done for the scheduled "grand opening" as I search for proper matching molding.

I will be rearranging the posters -turns out the original "3 posters on the back wall" plan won't work, but I have a solution. Not worth describing I'll just post a picture when I'm done.

As far as the entry door - for now I went with just the "Now Showing" sign over the door. Im looking a lighted custom sign or something along those lines in the future.

Oh yeah - I got a new door knob for the room - thought it was pretty cool so here it is: (EDIT - didn't realize this pic was blurry... I'll try to get a better one tonight)

- comments welcome!

post #309 of 449 Old 04-30-16, 07:28 AM
Shackster

My System

Aaron, what a great thread...it's like a TV series where I find myself wondering what the *bleep* is next!
Your energy on this project is outstanding, thanks again for sharing!!
post #310 of 449 Old 04-30-16, 09:05 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Aaron

My System
Quote:
albe wrote: View Post
Aaron, what a great thread...it's like a TV series where I find myself wondering what the *bleep* is next! Your energy on this project is outstanding, thanks again for sharing!!
LOL! Thank you for following along!
The funny part is the biggest transformation - what I've done this year - wasn't something I had been planning on just yet. The screaming deal on the theater seats is really what made it all happen.

The next "big changes" won't be as dramatic and might take a little bit to actually happen

- comments welcome!