PTAaron's Movie Room/Game Room/Bar - Page 32 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

82Likes

post #311 of 449 Old 04-30-16, 09:17 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Aaron

My System
Last night some friends of ours came over with their daughter who is in her mid 20s. She hadn't been over before - I think her exact words while walking into the theater were "Holy ! This is in your house?!?" LOL!
That was pretty cool.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
- comments welcome!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #312 of 449 Old 05-01-16, 12:40 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Aaron

My System
Re: PTAaron's Movie Room/Game Room/Bar

Stopped at Best Buy today to check out the options for 40" TVs for the wall... Ended up finding a 24" Vizio 1080p smart tv as an open box deal - picked it up for over our bar to replace the old 720p 19 incher.

Right now I the new TV is just "hanging out" where the 40" will go once I pick one out - that way my wife can have something to watch when she's running on the treadmill

- comments welcome!

post #313 of 449 Old 05-02-16, 12:34 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Aaron

My System

Unexpectedly picked up a TCL 40" smart tv at Costco this afternoon. Hadn't picked up my wall mount yet so I just did a temporary setup to figure out how I was going to do the wiring:

Realized that I forgot to feed a pull rope though to the low voltage box I installed in my new wall when I was building it and had easy access... So that made pulling the HDMI cable extra fun. I did pull a piece of rope along with the cable though - so when I run the cables to mirror the theater screen I won't have to waste as much time.

I relocated the bar cable box to the display case near the 40" TV. I will be running a really long set of component cables over to the bar so both TVs will show the same thing.

Here is a quick picture of me testing out my plan to make sure the cable box would actually show the same thing over HDMI and component.

- comments welcome!

post #314 of 449 Old 05-02-16, 11:50 AM

Ron

My System

If you need to run more cable in the wall...in the past i have removed the trim and ran the wire behind it until you get to where it needs to be in the wall. Then i have drilled a hole in the wall behind the trim, and where I want the wire to go to. This makes it easy to run wires after the fact.

Ron

My Home Theater
Yamaha CX-A5100, (3) JBL 2360A/EV DHA-1s, (3) 1/4 Pie bass bins, (2 pr) JBL 8340As, (2 pr) JBL 8320s, PS3, XBox One, (2) Intel NUCs, Redmere HDMI cables, Monster Signature HTPS7000, (2) Furman Power Conditioners, (2) DTS-10 subs, Panasonic AE8000, SeymourAV 180 (195" diag) scope screen, Darbee Darcet, Panamorph UH-480 lens, (2) Crest Audio 2208, Yamaha XM-4080 & P7000s, (2) MiniDSP DDRC-88M, Oppo UDP-203

post #315 of 449 Old 05-02-16, 10:26 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Aaron

My System

Quote:
ellisr63 wrote: View Post
If you need to run more cable in the wall...in the past i have removed the trim and ran the wire behind it until you get to where it needs to be in the wall. Then i have drilled a hole in the wall behind the trim, and where I want the wire to go to. This makes it easy to run wires after the fact.
Good tip!
Luckily I have drop ceilings in the basement, and the person that finished the basement left a little gap in the drywall at the top of the wall that is hidden by the tiles - makes life easy
ellisr63 likes this.

- comments welcome!

post #316 of 449 Old 05-02-16, 11:05 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Aaron

My System

I guess I should mention what my future plans are, in the order of likelihood of being completed:

1) Build a "ticket booth" - after seeing the simple ticket booth someone posted over on AVS I have decided that I am going to do something similar. Shockingly my wife is 100% on board with the idea... so that is most likely going to be the next project.

2) Redo the bar top (I know I mentioned this about 7 pages and 4 years back... but I have a source for fairly inexpensive bowling alley lane sections, and I would like to make that into a bar top. After building the wall and the riser I'm a lot more confident that I could build a new bar that won't fall apart. Current bar is too low - it is counter top height not bar height - and that is something we've been wanting to fix since we moved in.

3) Build a front stage - This needs to be decided on and either done or not done before I can get the carpet replaced in the theater. I really want to do it - I'm just conflicted about how it should look. I know this will be easy and inexpensive to build (ignoring the part about filling it with sand of course) - but it makes me the most nervous for some reason.

4) New carpet for the theater - This one is the least effort on my part, but probably the most expensive which is why it is not one of the first projects. I've more than blown my "fun money" budget already with the new chairs, riser, wall, and TVs... so we'll see.

5) Projector and screen - This needs to happen. This will happen. I just don't have even a rough time frame on when. This will require a lot more research on my part too. I know that I want to do a non-AT screen, I want a fabric screen not a painted on screen, and I know I want 1080p with 3D - no 4K for me. I also have a rough idea of how wide the screen can be... I'm not sure if I want to go scope or not. If I go scope, the 16:9 screen size (going constant image height) wouldn't be much larger than my 73" TV. If I go with the biggest 16:9 I can fit I think I'll be happier in the end.

So anyway - that's what the future holds.

- comments welcome!

post #317 of 449 Old 05-03-16, 03:45 PM

Ron

My System

Quote:
PTAaron wrote: View Post

5) Projector and screen - This needs to happen. This will happen. I just don't have even a rough time frame on when. This will require a lot more research on my part too. I know that I want to do a non-AT screen, I want a fabric screen not a painted on screen, and I know I want 1080p with 3D - no 4K for me. I also have a rough idea of how wide the screen can be... I'm not sure if I want to go scope or not. If I go scope, the 16:9 screen size (going constant image height) wouldn't be much larger than my 73" TV. If I go with the biggest 16:9 I can fit I think I'll be happier in the end.

So anyway - that's what the future holds.
What do you watch more of...TV or movies? I have to say that if you go 16x9 and watch some of the new movies that are even wider than scope... I think you will be very disappointed. One of the newer movies we recently watched had around 1' bars top and bottom on a 6' tall scope screen!

We originally went for a scope screen, and just zoomed in for Scope movies. This way you have a large 16x9 image, but when you want to watch a movie we would hit the switch, and it is now scope. This worked fine, but I eventually just picked up a used Anamorphic lens, which I like better, but it would be even better if we had a curved screen. The reason for this is we have a bow top and bottom, since we don't have a curved screen. The solution for now was to zoom in a bit more to eliminate the bow.
PTAaron likes this.

Ron

My Home Theater
Yamaha CX-A5100, (3) JBL 2360A/EV DHA-1s, (3) 1/4 Pie bass bins, (2 pr) JBL 8340As, (2 pr) JBL 8320s, PS3, XBox One, (2) Intel NUCs, Redmere HDMI cables, Monster Signature HTPS7000, (2) Furman Power Conditioners, (2) DTS-10 subs, Panasonic AE8000, SeymourAV 180 (195" diag) scope screen, Darbee Darcet, Panamorph UH-480 lens, (2) Crest Audio 2208, Yamaha XM-4080 & P7000s, (2) MiniDSP DDRC-88M, Oppo UDP-203

post #318 of 449 Old 05-03-16, 07:49 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Aaron

My System

Quote:
ellisr63 wrote: View Post
What do you watch more of...TV or movies? I have to say that if you go 16x9 and watch some of the new movies that are even wider than scope... I think you will be very disappointed. One of the newer movies we recently watched had around 1' bars top and bottom on a 6' tall scope screen!

We originally went for a scope screen, and just zoomed in for Scope movies. This way you have a large 16x9 image, but when you want to watch a movie we would hit the switch, and it is now scope. This worked fine, but I eventually just picked up a used Anamorphic lens, which I like better, but it would be even better if we had a curved screen. The reason for this is we have a bow top and bottom, since we don't have a curved screen. The solution for now was to zoom in a bit more to eliminate the bow.
Movies and PS4 games probably 50/50.
My biggest concern with going scope is that for the space I have I wouldn't gain much with my 16:9 content. I can't go with an AT screen because there isn't enough space at the front of the room due to the cedar closet door that leaves me with only 16" of depth. That isn't enough to hide my speakers and sub behind any kind of false wall.

I suppose I could make my own Frankenstein screen that is scope width but tall enough for a big 16:9 and then come up with a clever masking system...

- comments welcome!

post #319 of 449 Old 05-03-16, 09:37 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Aaron

My System

Here's how I'm seeing it:
I can have a screen that is 8' to 8.5' wide. If I go with a 16:9 screen 96" wide puts me at a 110" diagonal that is 54" tall. Mathing that out means that watching a 2.39:1 movie will give me a 40" high x 96" wide image that is 104" diagonal.
My intention would be to set up a masking system for top and bottom.

That would work, right?

- comments welcome!

Last edited by PTAaron; 05-03-16 at 10:16 PM.
post #320 of 449 Old 05-04-16, 12:07 PM

Ron

My System

Quote:
PTAaron wrote: View Post
Here's how I'm seeing it:
I can have a screen that is 8' to 8.5' wide. If I go with a 16:9 screen 96" wide puts me at a 110" diagonal that is 54" tall. Mathing that out means that watching a 2.39:1 movie will give me a 40" high x 96" wide image that is 104" diagonal.
My intention would be to set up a masking system for top and bottom.

That would work, right?
Yes that should work out fine. The movie I had a problem with was...I think a 2.75 movie.

What about a pull down screen?

Ron

My Home Theater