PTAaron's Movie Room/Game Room/Bar - Page 33 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

94Likes

post #321 of 461 Old 05-04-16, 12:19 PM
Senior Shackster

My System
Re: PTAaron's Movie Room/Game Room/Bar

Quote:
PTAaron wrote: View Post
Here's how I'm seeing it:
I can have a screen that is 8' to 8.5' wide. If I go with a 16:9 screen 96" wide puts me at a 110" diagonal that is 54" tall. Mathing that out means that watching a 2.39:1 movie will give me a 40" high x 96" wide image that is 104" diagonal.
My intention would be to set up a masking system for top and bottom.

That would work, right?
What I've done, and it's far from common, is kind of a hybrid...

I originally went with a 115" 16x9 screen. It's wall to wall, so I can't go wider, but I always wished I had a scope screen. I thought about masking systems, but never bothered.

I had some leftover black velvet from when I built my frame, and decided to try something. I bought another 1x8, cut it to pressure fit into the bottom of my frame, and wrapped it with the velvet. By putting that in, I now have a 100" wide 2:1 screen. I crop a few inches off the top and bottom of 16x9 content and have minimized the letterboxing on scope films to only a couple inches on top and bottom.

I don't do gaming, however, you probably wouldn't want to crop that at all in 16x9.

Just a thought though. I really, really enjoy using this. Makes my 16x9 content feel more cinematic and makes the black bars on scope a lot less noticeable.

PTAaron likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #322 of 461 Old 05-04-16, 02:25 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Aaron

My System
Thumbs up Re: PTAaron's Movie Room/Game Room/Bar

Quote:
thrillcat wrote: View Post
What I've done, and it's far from common, is kind of a hybrid...

I originally went with a 115" 16x9 screen. It's wall to wall, so I can't go wider, but I always wished I had a scope screen. I thought about masking systems, but never bothered.

I had some leftover black velvet from when I built my frame, and decided to try something. I bought another 1x8, cut it to pressure fit into the bottom of my frame, and wrapped it with the velvet. By putting that in, I now have a 100" wide 2:1 screen. I crop a few inches off the top and bottom of 16x9 content and have minimized the letterboxing on scope films to only a couple inches on top and bottom.

I don't do gaming, however, you probably wouldn't want to crop that at all in 16x9.

Just a thought though. I really, really enjoy using this. Makes my 16x9 content feel more cinematic and makes the black bars on scope a lot less noticeable.

Thanks for the suggestion! If it wasn't for the gaming that would be a great solution.

I found a thread where someone made some panels using foamboard panels and magnets that was easily adjustable from scope to 16:9 - similar to your idea but adjustable. I've got time to consider options though - won't be happening for at least 6 months if that soon.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
- comments welcome!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
post #323 of 461 Old 05-04-16, 02:30 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Aaron

My System

Quote:
ellisr63 wrote: View Post
Yes that should work out fine. The movie I had a problem with was...I think a 2.75 movie.

What about a pull down screen?
2.75? What is wrong with just keeping things simple for us home theater types!

I hadn't considered a pulldown screen. Hmmm...

I honestly haven't really looked into what the "optimal" size would be for my viewing distance (around 11' if the screen is mounted on the wall) at this point either.

- comments welcome!

post #324 of 461 Old 05-04-16, 03:42 PM

Ron

My System

Quote:
2.75? What is wrong with just keeping things simple for us home theater types!

I hadn't considered a pulldown screen. Hmmm...

I honestly haven't really looked into what the "optimal" size would be for my viewing distance (around 11' if the screen is mounted on the wall) at this point either.
I agree, and i was not pleased when I saw this either.
Our front row is at 12' with a 195" scope screen. As far as a pulldown if it is not an AT screen it should be pretty inexpensive. I do prefer a fixed screen, but in your situation it might be better for a pulldown. Have you tried looking at a HT setup with the screen 11' away? Another way to decide is just get the projector, and then test out the distances for the first row and see what you are happiest with.
PTAaron likes this.

Ron

My Home Theater
BenQ MH741 Projector, Yamaha CX-A5100, (2 pr) JBL 8340As, (2 pr) JBL 8320s, PS3, XBox One, (1) Asus Mini, Redmere HDMI cables, Monster Signature HTPS7000, (2) Furman Power Conditioners, (2) DTS-10 subs, SeymourAV 180 (195" diag) scope screen, Darbee Darcet,Yamaha P7000s, Oppo UDP-203

DIY 14 channel IcePower amp coming soon.
post #325 of 461 Old 05-04-16, 04:25 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Aaron

My System

Quote:
ellisr63 wrote: View Post
I agree, and i was not pleased when I saw this either.
Our front row is at 12' with a 195" scope screen. As far as a pulldown if it is not an AT screen it should be pretty inexpensive. I do prefer a fixed screen, but in your situation it might be better for a pulldown. Have you tried looking at a HT setup with the screen 11' away? Another way to decide is just get the projector, and then test out the distances for the first row and see what you are happiest with.
What would the main advantage be with a pulldown? I was thinking AT would allow me to pull it down in front of the speakers to go wider, but it would also bring the screen 14-16" closer to the seating - potentially negating the benefit of the wider screen.

I can't imagine 12' away from a screen that big! I have looked over your build thread in the past and holy crapoli that screen huge!

I have not sat in any home theaters aside from my wife's uncle's - but its been about 10 years since I was then and it was basically a regular couch in front of a white wall.
ellisr63 likes this.

- comments welcome!

post #326 of 461 Old 05-04-16, 04:29 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Aaron

My System

Forgot to share this here:

Mounted the TV last night. Also ran the component video and audio cables over to the bar TV...

Set up the treadmill to make sure it will work as expected for my wife.

The movie racks are only temporary... Still putting the movies onto my server, once that is done everything is going into storage somewhere.

Also tested out an alternate use for the TV:
ellisr63 likes this.

- comments welcome!

post #327 of 461 Old 05-04-16, 06:56 PM

Ron

My System

Quote:
What would the main advantage be with a pulldown? I was thinking AT would allow me to pull it down in front of the speakers to go wider, but it would also bring the screen 14-16" closer to the seating - potentially negating the benefit of the wider screen.

I can't imagine 12' away from a screen that big! I have looked over your build thread in the past and holy crapoli that screen huge!

I have not sat in any home theaters aside from my wife's uncle's - but its been about 10 years since I was then and it was basically a regular couch in front of a white wall.
I was thinking a pulldown AT screen would eliminate the access problem to the closet (I think that is what you said was the problem), but it would put the screen closer too. Do you by chance have a Frys Electronics in your area...I say this because the one by our house has a theater, and it would be easy to see how the picture will look at different distances. If not are there any Home Theater Stores that you could look at the picture to see what distance you like best? If you can see a Theater setup that has a large screen, and be able to move closer and farther away you could get a real good idea as to how big you would like in your room before you buy a screen. Just my 2 cents.
PTAaron likes this.

Ron

My Home Theater
BenQ MH741 Projector, Yamaha CX-A5100, (2 pr) JBL 8340As, (2 pr) JBL 8320s, PS3, XBox One, (1) Asus Mini, Redmere HDMI cables, Monster Signature HTPS7000, (2) Furman Power Conditioners, (2) DTS-10 subs, SeymourAV 180 (195" diag) scope screen, Darbee Darcet,Yamaha P7000s, Oppo UDP-203

DIY 14 channel IcePower amp coming soon.
post #328 of 461 Old 05-04-16, 09:08 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Aaron

My System

No Frys around here unfortunately... but there is a home theater shop near where I work. I may have to check out what they have in their show room.

Here is what the room looks like:

This shows the "screen wall":

This is the layout of the basement from when we moved in - shows where the door goes
ellisr63 likes this.

- comments welcome!

post #329 of 461 Old 05-05-16, 11:51 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Aaron

My System

Played around a little in SweetHome3D...
First 2 are 16:9 96" x 54"
Second are scope 96" x 40"
Views from between rows and also main listening position.
Attached Thumbnails
PTAaron's Movie Room/Game Room/Bar-theaterroom-screen1.png  

PTAaron's Movie Room/Game Room/Bar-theaterroom-screen-16x9.png  

PTAaron's Movie Room/Game Room/Bar-theaterroom-screen2.png  

PTAaron's Movie Room/Game Room/Bar-theaterroom-screen-scope.png  

- comments welcome!

post #330 of 461 Old 05-06-16, 06:36 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Aaron

My System

Interesting comparison here...
This is with my 73" TV added back into the rendering... obviously the 16:9 screen is a massive upgrade. The scope screen is also a big upgrade from what scope on the 73" screen looks like. You can see in the last picture that while using CIH the 16:9 image would barely be bigger than my current image! I would find it really hard to justify the expense of a projector and screen for such a small gain.
Attached Thumbnails
PTAaron's Movie Room/Game Room/Bar-theaterroom-tv.png  

PTAaron's Movie Room/Game Room/Bar-theaterroom-16x9-tv.png  

PTAaron's Movie Room/Game Room/Bar-theaterroom-scope-tv.png  

PTAaron's Movie Room/Game Room/Bar-theaterroom-cih16x9-tv.png  

- comments welcome!