PTAaron's Movie Room/Game Room/Bar - Page 34 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

94Likes

post #331 of 461 Old 05-06-16, 08:49 AM
Senior Shackster

My System
Re: PTAaron's Movie Room/Game Room/Bar

Quote:
PTAaron wrote: View Post
Thanks for the suggestion! If it wasn't for the gaming that would be a great solution.

I found a thread where someone made some panels using foamboard panels and magnets that was easily adjustable from scope to 16:9 - similar to your idea but adjustable. I've got time to consider options though - won't be happening for at least 6 months if that soon.
Before I did this, I thought about simply getting a couple extra chunks of velvet that were long enough to wrap just around the edges of my frame, hemming up the sides and sewing a couple pieces of elastic to the ends to make basically a pair of velvet socks that I could keep hidden on the top and bottom pieces of the 16x9 frame, then just slide them down into position when needed, slide them out when not. I still think it would absolutely work, but I'm also pretty happy with the 2:1 frame and not having to switch out.
PTAaron and ellisr63 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #332 of 461 Old 05-07-16, 10:20 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Aaron

My System

I found this kind of interesting - I finally decided to check on recommended viewing distances for the screen size I'm looking at... not that I'm all that concerned about meeting THX guidelines, but I thought it might be helpful to see what they have to say.

For a 96" wide 16:9 screen it looks like the THX minimum distance (36 degree angle) is 12.3' and the maximum (26 degree angle) is 17.3'. That puts my back row right at the maximum and my front row about a foot too close (calculator says 38.4 degree viewing angle) which is probably not significant.

I might be able to go a little wider if I tuck the speakers right into the corners but I'm not sure how that will affect the sound... Glad I don't have to make a decision for along time

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
- comments welcome!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
post #333 of 461 Old 05-07-16, 11:17 AM

Ron

My System

Quote:
PTAaron wrote: View Post
I found this kind of interesting - I finally decided to check on recommended viewing distances for the screen size I'm looking at... not that I'm all that concerned about meeting THX guidelines, but I thought it might be helpful to see what they have to say.

For a 96" wide 16:9 screen it looks like the THX minimum distance (36 degree angle) is 12.3' and the maximum (26 degree angle) is 17.3'. That puts my back row right at the maximum and my front row about a foot too close (calculator says 38.4 degree viewing angle) which is probably not significant.

I might be able to go a little wider if I tuck the speakers right into the corners but I'm not sure how that will affect the sound... Glad I don't have to make a decision for along time
Yeah, I have seen those specs too, and I disagree with them... I say decide for yourself which you prefer.
PTAaron likes this.

Ron

My Home Theater
BenQ MH741 Projector, Yamaha CX-A5100, (2 pr) JBL 8340As, (2 pr) JBL 8320s, PS3, XBox One, (1) Asus Mini, Redmere HDMI cables, Monster Signature HTPS7000, (2) Furman Power Conditioners, (2) DTS-10 subs, SeymourAV 180 (195" diag) scope screen, Darbee Darcet,Yamaha P7000s, Oppo UDP-203

DIY 14 channel IcePower amp coming soon.

post #334 of 461 Old 05-07-16, 09:08 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Aaron

My System

My only concern with regards to how big and how close to sit is that I don't want to be able to differentiate pixels. With my eyesight lately - probably won't be a problem, but I want to to remain not a problem when I finally go see a doctor and get myself some glasses.

On the construction front: I am slightly closer to thinking about starting the next project - the ticket booth. I visited my parents this afternoon to take my mom out for early Mother's Day dinner and came home with my dad's miter saw.

I will be building a simple frame, skinning it with probably plywood, and using some various trim pieces and plexiglass to create something that looks like this:

(image from www.stargatecinema.com)

Someone over on AVS built something similar using an old door - but unfortunately I had just given away my old doors before I decided to do this project. DOH!

I have also come up with a solution for the movie racks... I am going to keep one rack on the outside wall under the 40" TV - it will hold the 3D movies, blu-ray movies, and PS3/PS4/Wii video games. The DVDs and other video games will end up on shelves I am going to install between the studs in the mechanical room next to the theater. That way they are still accessible, but are out of sight. My thinking is that my HTPC won't do 3D, so I'll need the actual discs for 3D, I'll need easy access to the video game discs, and I might as well keep the other blu-rays out in the open in case anyone wants to "check out out of the library".
ellisr63 likes this.

- comments welcome!

post #335 of 461 Old 05-09-16, 02:34 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Aaron

My System
Finishing touch inside the room:

For the outside of the room this is what I decided on for the time being until I come up with a concession stand plan. I've moved all of the DVDs into my furnace room where I am building shelves, and one of the old racks got a fresh coat of black paint and is now holding my blu rays and PS3/PS4 games. The smaller rack is a makeshift candy rack:

These are the DVD shelves I'm working on - the cases that are backwards are movies that still need to be ripped into my system.
ellisr63 likes this.

- comments welcome!

post #336 of 461 Old 05-10-16, 12:21 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Aaron

My System
Official "opening night" of the upgraded theater will be this coming Sunday...
I made tickets for my friends that will be coming to the first official movie showing
Attached Thumbnails
PTAaron's Movie Room/Game Room/Bar-image-3671792239.jpg  

ellisr63 likes this.

- comments welcome!

post #337 of 461 Old 05-10-16, 05:36 AM
Elite Shackster

Brandon

My System
Looking great,hope opening night goes smoothly,love the ticket!
PTAaron likes this.
post #338 of 461 Old 05-10-16, 08:53 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Aaron

My System

Quote:
B- one wrote: View Post
Looking great,hope opening night goes smoothly,love the ticket!
Thanks!

The "ticket" also makes a good marquee on the 40" TV outside the theater:

- comments welcome!

post #339 of 461 Old 05-17-16, 09:10 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Aaron

My System
Saturday was the big "Grand Opening"... Naturally 2 hours before people were set to arrive I discovered that my remote was not controlling Kodi properly, and couldn't figure out how to fix it! Luckily it was just the hard buttons so the touchscreen could still control play/pause/stop functions so my macros for the lights still worked.
I had texted out tickets as invites to the movie - one of my friends actually printed it out and handed it to me as he came in... That was pretty cool!

Hung up the concessions sign for the occasion:

Movie was even better the second time around - friends had a great time.

Only problem I found was my subwoofer sounded like it was maybe bottoming out a couple of times... That was pretty surprising and annoying.

- comments welcome!

post #340 of 461 Old 05-20-16, 06:30 PM
Elite Shackster
Quenten

My System

That stairwell looks like a great place for stuffing with insulation & stapling some screen or fabric to hold it up.