PTAaron's Movie Room/Game Room/Bar - Page 35 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

93Likes

post #341 of 460 Old 05-20-16, 09:11 PM
HTS Administrator
News Editor
Reviewer

Todd Anderson

My System
Re: PTAaron's Movie Room/Game Room/Bar

Really great thread... glad this one continues to grow!
PTAaron and albe like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #342 of 460 Old 05-20-16, 11:51 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Aaron

My System

Snapped a few pics of what the bar/game area looks like these days:

As you can see the bar still needs to be redone... I really need to get motivated to work on that...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
- comments welcome!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
post #343 of 460 Old 05-22-16, 09:19 AM

Really enjoyed the pics from your room.
PTAaron likes this.

post #344 of 460 Old 05-22-16, 11:02 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Aaron

My System
Quote:
Anthony Chavez wrote: View Post
Really enjoyed the pics from your room.
Thanks for checking it out!

- comments welcome!

post #345 of 460 Old 05-23-16, 07:58 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Aaron

My System
Over the weekend I had a little free time and decided to start on one of the projects on my list... I took stock of all the scrap boards I have from the riser build and the leftovers from the deck I refinished and I have enough 2x6s and pieces of 3/4" OSB to build my front stage - I only need to buy a sheet of plywood for the curve. That seemed like an ambitious project to start without drawing up plans first.
I decided to use some other scrap pieces I had laying around to start on a "ticket booth" - just going from a plan in my head. I figured that if it didn't turn out I could just try again - unlike the front stage

The plan I came up with has a 36" high x 31" wide x 6" deep lower portion that will have a door so it can be used for storage and also to allow for access to mount it to the wall. There will be a "counter" that is 8" deep so it will stick out 2", and above that I will build the "window" part that will be 43-45" high. The top portion will have a wood frames plexiglass ticket window - the frame will be held in place with magnets so I can pop it off to change what is behind it easily - and also to allow access for mounting it.
The whole thing will be one unit - I just mention it in pieces because I'm building the sections separately and then attaching them once both are complete and in the basement.

Anyway - here is the basic frame of the lower portion made out of the studs I ripped out of my basement wall when I put in the new door and some spare shelves:

The design will make more sense soon... The gap at the bottom will be filled with 3.5" MDF with some casing as decorative trim. Strange choice - but it was the only way to get the height I wanted.
The front panel will be a large piece of MDF that used to cover my fuse box and sprinkler control valves in the basement - it already has a full length piano hinge and is the exact size I need, so that works out well.
Anyway - that's as far as I got because my wife got home and I had to do real housework. LOL!

- comments welcome!

post #346 of 460 Old 05-31-16, 02:42 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Aaron

My System

Been busy power washing 1100 sq ft of deck to get ready for staining... So no further progress in the ticket booth.

I thought I would post up a picture of the temporary "concession stand" though:

Still planning on replacing that with a larger cabinet with glass front that the popcorn machine will sit on. I've sent messages to a few people with promising options on Craig's List but have had zero replies for some reason.

- comments welcome!

post #347 of 460 Old 06-01-16, 02:53 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Aaron

My System

Let me update my to do list for inside the room:

1. base molding along the riser - haven't decided if I'm going to use the MDF that I picked up or if I'm going to keep searching for the proper molding... Pretty sure I'll be going with the MDF option outside the theater but inside it won't match up right with the casing so I am not 100% sure - temp plan is in place, once I do the front stage I'll do the final plan which is to take the base molding from the front wall and move it to the back wall.
  2. hang posters - done
  3. Decide if I'm going to build a front stage now or wait until I get a projector - I have decided... I am building one before I get the projector. I have enough scrap 2x6 boards and 3/4" OSB to make the stage without having to buy anything but deck screws.
  4. Pick out carpet - and get it installed after I build the stage. - Have looked at options, not happening any time soon due to budget suddenly vanishing.
  5. Get a projector and build a spandex screen - not happening any time soon.

To do outside the room:

1. Install and paint base molding - will be using the MDF for this because it won't really be obvious that it is thicker. - DONE.
  2. Decide what I'm doing over the door - not sure if I'm going to build it out and make it into a fancy theater style entrance or just hanging the Now Showing sign - DONE - went with Now Showing sign.
  3. buy a 40" TV to mount on the wall so my wife has something to watch while walking on the treadmill - DONE.
  4. wire everything up to allow the new TV to mirror the theater screen and to allow the new TV and the bar TV to run off the same cable box - halfway done... cable box portion is done, theater mirroring will require more parts that will have to wait until the I have a budget to work with again.
  5. Figure out something for a concession stand... need some sort of display case - DONE.

- comments welcome!

Last edited by PTAaron; 06-01-16 at 03:03 PM.
post #348 of 460 Old 06-01-16, 04:06 PM
HTS Moderator

AJ

My System

Candy and beer. Nice place
PTAaron likes this.

AJ

post #349 of 460 Old 06-01-16, 09:06 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Aaron

My System

Quote:
ajinfla wrote: View Post
Candy and beer. Nice place
Haha! Thanks!

- comments welcome!

post #350 of 460 Old 06-05-16, 09:43 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Aaron

My System

Had some time this weekend to work on my "ticket booth" - I'm not really following a plan so the design changed a few more times this weekend. Hopefully the idea will be a little more clear by the end of this post...

I actually ended up flipping the base over because it made more sense that way. Added 2x4s:

This gives an interesting look at what happens when you build using just scraps - the "2x4" boards that make up the sides are not actually 2x4s - they are the leftover from ripping a 2x10 down to 2x6 size... so they are just slightly bigger than a standard 2x4. Oh well - this will all be hidden under the "counter":

Test fit the "counter" and added some pins to make it easier to line it back up once I got the top half started - plan was to build the frame for the top and attach it to the "counter" then attach it all to the base:

At this point I realized I didn't have enough "scrap" to finish the top part so I had to actually buy some boards.. doh!

The portion above the counter is 48" - the top 12" will be a flat area for a logo lights... I haven't decided yet.

Faced the sides with MDF trim...

The front of the lower section will have a frame of 3.5" wide MDF, there will be a door with a magnetic lock to access the lower half. The top half will have a 24" x 35" ticket window that will be held in place with magnets so I can easily make changes to the display.

Anyway - there it is for now.
ellisr63 likes this.

- comments welcome!

Last edited by PTAaron; 06-05-16 at 09:48 PM.