PTAaron's Movie Room/Game Room/Bar - Page 37 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

94Likes

post #361 of 461 Old 06-11-16, 09:32 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Aaron

My System
Quote:
ellisr63 wrote: View Post
Did you do blue fabric walls, or is that paint?
My walls are just painted drywall. *hangs head in shame*
Mostly a budget related decision.
I do have plans to do some panels now that I don't have a sectional couch serving as an absorber along the left wall anymore.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
- comments welcome!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 461 Old 06-12-16, 04:46 PM

Ron

My System
Re: PTAaron's Movie Room/Game Room/Bar

Quote:
PTAaron wrote: View Post
My walls are just painted drywall. *hangs head in shame*
Mostly a budget related decision.
I do have plans to do some panels now that I don't have a sectional couch serving as an absorber along the left wall anymore.
I really like the blue walls...paint is not a lesser IMO. My whole theater was a budget build...it's just that a year later the budget expanded.

Ron

My Home Theater
BenQ MH741 Projector, Yamaha CX-A5100, (2 pr) JBL 8340As, (2 pr) JBL 8320s, PS3, XBox One, (1) Asus Mini, Redmere HDMI cables, Monster Signature HTPS7000, (2) Furman Power Conditioners, (2) DTS-10 subs, SeymourAV 180 (195" diag) scope screen, Darbee Darcet,Yamaha P7000s, Oppo UDP-203

DIY 14 channel IcePower amp coming soon.
post #363 of 461 Old 06-12-16, 11:31 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Aaron

My System

Quote:
I really like the blue walls...paint is not a lesser IMO. My whole theater was a budget build...it's just that a year later the budget expanded.
Thanks I was inspired by a "The Scuba Tank Theater" over on AVS when I was getting started on the room and basically copied the color scheme. I do plan on adding some panels on the walls - didn't do that right off the bat because the sectional didn't leave enough open wall space.

- comments welcome!

post #364 of 461 Old 06-13-16, 01:25 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Aaron

My System

Picked up the second A2-300 on Saturday...

The forum member that sold me the sub also included the platform that he had made for it - unfortunately I couldn't fit the sub with the platform into the available space. That is probably a good thing since one of our cats decided to make it his new bed!

I got everything calibrated... it was interesting to see that my original A2-300 with the updated Infinity drive in it was quite a bit louder at the same level setting on the receiver. Makes me think I should invest in another Infinity driver for the new sub eventually Was also interesting to see a 7db gain when both were running! I ended up setting the subs 4db hot and ran some test clips - I have to say the improvement was incredible!

*This was going to be a longer post but apparently I fell asleep writing it (twice now... sheesh), so I'll add more tomorrow night
ellisr63 likes this.

- comments welcome!

Last edited by PTAaron; 06-14-16 at 12:21 AM.
post #365 of 461 Old 06-14-16, 12:22 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Aaron

My System

I had a little time on Sunday to work on the ticket booth...

First thing was to add some blocks to attach the facing to the lower half... these will keep the blocks lined up properly and also add some reinforcement for the fairly heavy door...

Added a few more blocks that I didn't get pictures of... ended up with this:

The lower half is almost done... The opening will be covered by the door once I get it cut down to size. All gaps will be filled with wood putty and sanded down.
I have all of the boards for the top portion ... so that shouldn't take much time.
Plexiglass arrives tomorrow - I have a plan for the frame, so we'll see if it works

Also - wow my garage is messy! LOL!

- comments welcome!

Last edited by PTAaron; 06-14-16 at 02:01 PM.
post #366 of 461 Old 06-22-16, 12:47 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Aaron

My System

Spent the weekend staining my deck... 1 hour Friday night, 4-5 hours Saturday, 10 hours Sunday! Only the last 2-3 hours were spent actually staining the flat deck surface - the rest of the time was spent doing the railings and stairs! A bit of advice: Don't do wood railing on your deck! LOL!

Anyway - I ended up with an unexpected day off work today - so I spent a few hours on the ticket booth.
A few weeks ago I bought a 12" board for the top section... it was wrapped in plastic and I didn't open it up until today. Discovered a minor issue with it once I opened it:

I can see straight through it!! Luckily I was going to be drilling holes anyway - so it should be ok. I would have exchanged it, but I have no idea where the receipt was and I didn't want to waste any more time.

Added some 2x2s so that I could run some screws from behind and not have any visible screws from the front - save me some time later:

Drilled dome holes in the frame so I could run wiring up to the top portion:

Here we are with the facing on the upper portion...

Test fit of the plexiglass:

Cut the pieces for the frame for the window - this will be held in place with magnets so I can pop it open to change things out as needed. Friend will be cutting a 1/2" deep groove into the frame for me for the glass.

I was getting ready to cut the piece to make the "door" on the lower portion and decided I needed a better way to do things. I was going to use a spare piece of MDF that already had a piano hinge on it - but I realized it was going to be too heavy and not look very good. Talked with a friend of mine that builds cabinets about options - and he is going to make me a door! So that is kind of cool.

When I was talking to him I did a little sketching on my phone to show him what I needed - thought I would share it here:

Trying to decide on what to do for letters... Michaels has lighted letters on sale for 60% off that look like an option, but they are powered by individual batteries so I'm not sure how to make that work off a switch. They also have regular wooden letters - but that's kind of boring.

EDIT: Wow... that "drawing" looks awful! It didn't look that bad on my phone... LOL!

- comments welcome!

post #367 of 461 Old 06-22-16, 09:54 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Aaron

My System

My friend sent me some pictures this morning - he already built me a door before I even had a chance to buy the wood for him to use!

He even put it on "soft close" hinges!

Hopefully I can get it from him soon... I'd love to get this thing painted and into the basement!

Have to decide on colors...
ellisr63 likes this.

- comments welcome!

post #368 of 461 Old 06-23-16, 12:55 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Aaron

My System

Picked up the door this morning and dropped off the boards for my window frame on my way to work... got a text message about 20 minutes later that it was all done! LOL! Must be nice to have all the right tools for a job

Hopefully I can pick up the frame on my way home from work and get everything assembled this weekend.

Just need to do a lot of filling in with wood putty, a bunch of sanding... then I can prime it and start looking at options for colors. Black seems like the easy way to go... but since this will be out in the main area of the basement I'm not sure that is the best way to go.

- comments welcome!

post #369 of 461 Old 06-23-16, 02:05 PM

Ron

My System

Quote:
PTAaron wrote: View Post
Picked up the door this morning and dropped off the boards for my window frame on my way to work... got a text message about 20 minutes later that it was all done! LOL! Must be nice to have all the right tools for a job

Hopefully I can pick up the frame on my way home from work and get everything assembled this weekend.

Just need to do a lot of filling in with wood putty, a bunch of sanding... then I can prime it and start looking at options for colors. Black seems like the easy way to go... but since this will be out in the main area of the basement I'm not sure that is the best way to go.
Black Satin Stain would look nice, IMO, and it would show off the wood grain (if you want to see the wood grain).

Ron

My Home Theater
BenQ MH741 Projector, Yamaha CX-A5100, (2 pr) JBL 8340As, (2 pr) JBL 8320s, PS3, XBox One, (1) Asus Mini, Redmere HDMI cables, Monster Signature HTPS7000, (2) Furman Power Conditioners, (2) DTS-10 subs, SeymourAV 180 (195" diag) scope screen, Darbee Darcet,Yamaha P7000s, Oppo UDP-203

DIY 14 channel IcePower amp coming soon.
post #370 of 461 Old 06-23-16, 03:03 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Aaron

My System

Quote:
Black Satin Stain would look nice, IMO, and it would show off the wood grain (if you want to see the wood grain).
That would look really nice - unfortunately some of the boards are painted MDF that I will be sanding and priming, so that kills the wood grain option
That's the big downside to building using scraps.
ellisr63 likes this.

- comments welcome!