PTAaron's Movie Room/Game Room/Bar - Page 38 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

94Likes

post #371 of 461 Old 06-23-16, 03:50 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Aaron

My System
Re: PTAaron's Movie Room/Game Room/Bar

Quote:
Quote:
ellisr63 wrote: View Post
Black Satin Stain would look nice, IMO, and it would show off the wood grain (if you want to see the wood grain).
That would look really nice - unfortunately some of the boards are painted MDF that I will be sanding and priming, so that kills the wood grain option
That's the big downside to building using scraps.
I was strongly considering pulling off the white MDF boards on the lower portion and replacing it with 1x4 pine... partly to make it easier to install the cabinet door that my friend built, partly because I had been considering staining. The sides and counter are still going to be MDF and that can't be changed.
The problem would be that the MDF facing is glued, screwed, and brad nailed into place.
ellisr63 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
- comments welcome!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #372 of 461 Old 06-23-16, 07:25 PM

Ron

My System

Quote:
PTAaron wrote: View Post
I was strongly considering pulling off the white MDF boards on the lower portion and replacing it with 1x4 pine... partly to make it easier to install the cabinet door that my friend built, partly because I had been considering staining. The sides and counter are still going to be MDF and that can't be changed.
The problem would be that the MDF facing is glued, screwed, and brad nailed into place.
Well sometimes you just have to work with what you have.
PTAaron likes this.

Ron

My Home Theater
BenQ MH741 Projector, Yamaha CX-A5100, (2 pr) JBL 8340As, (2 pr) JBL 8320s, PS3, XBox One, (1) Asus Mini, Redmere HDMI cables, Monster Signature HTPS7000, (2) Furman Power Conditioners, (2) DTS-10 subs, SeymourAV 180 (195" diag) scope screen, Darbee Darcet,Yamaha P7000s, Oppo UDP-203

DIY 14 channel IcePower amp coming soon.
post #373 of 461 Old 06-23-16, 07:28 PM

Ron

My System

Quote:
Spent the weekend staining my deck... 1 hour Friday night, 4-5 hours Saturday, 10 hours Sunday! Only the last 2-3 hours were spent actually staining the flat deck surface - the rest of the time was spent doing the railings and stairs! A bit of advice: Don't do wood railing on your deck! LOL!

Anyway - I ended up with an unexpected day off work today - so I spent a few hours on the ticket booth.
A few weeks ago I bought a 12" board for the top section... it was wrapped in plastic and I didn't open it up until today. Discovered a minor issue with it once I opened it:

I can see straight through it!! Luckily I was going to be drilling holes anyway - so it should be ok. I would have exchanged it, but I have no idea where the receipt was and I didn't want to waste any more time.

Added some 2x2s so that I could run some screws from behind and not have any visible screws from the front - save me some time later:

Drilled dome holes in the frame so I could run wiring up to the top portion:

Here we are with the facing on the upper portion...

Test fit of the plexiglass:

Cut the pieces for the frame for the window - this will be held in place with magnets so I can pop it open to change things out as needed. Friend will be cutting a 1/2" deep groove into the frame for me for the glass.

I was getting ready to cut the piece to make the "door" on the lower portion and decided I needed a better way to do things. I was going to use a spare piece of MDF that already had a piano hinge on it - but I realized it was going to be too heavy and not look very good. Talked with a friend of mine that builds cabinets about options - and he is going to make me a door! So that is kind of cool.

When I was talking to him I did a little sketching on my phone to show him what I needed - thought I would share it here:

Trying to decide on what to do for letters... Michaels has lighted letters on sale for 60% off that look like an option, but they are powered by individual batteries so I'm not sure how to make that work off a switch. They also have regular wooden letters - but that's kind of boring.

EDIT: Wow... that "drawing" looks awful! It didn't look that bad on my phone... LOL!

Are the letter routed through the wood? If so you could get a piece of plexi for the back side of the door, and light it from the rear...maybe LED rope lights going around the whole word "TICKETS"? It appears you have enough space that you could make it into a lightbox with LED light bulbs if you wanted to use several and be brighter. You could even get some that would flash if you wanted.
PTAaron likes this.

Ron

My Home Theater
BenQ MH741 Projector, Yamaha CX-A5100, (2 pr) JBL 8340As, (2 pr) JBL 8320s, PS3, XBox One, (1) Asus Mini, Redmere HDMI cables, Monster Signature HTPS7000, (2) Furman Power Conditioners, (2) DTS-10 subs, SeymourAV 180 (195" diag) scope screen, Darbee Darcet,Yamaha P7000s, Oppo UDP-203

post #374 of 461 Old 06-23-16, 09:35 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Aaron

My System

Quote:
ellisr63 wrote: View Post
Are the letter routed through the wood? If so you could get a piece of plexi for the back side of the door, and light it from the rear...maybe LED rope lights going around the whole word "TICKETS"? It appears you have enough space that you could make it into a lightbox with LED light bulbs if you wanted to use several and be brighter. You could even get some that would flash if you wanted.
So far the letters aren't there... that was just a really really poorly done edit on a photo using an app on my phone and drawing with my finger

I am planning on getting some wood letters from Michaels or maybe some of the lighted letters that they have on sale this week - haven't decided.

- comments welcome!

post #375 of 461 Old 06-24-16, 05:38 AM
Elite Shackster
Quenten

My System

Boy, it's too early in the morning! I like your design so far! Can you use some small gauge wire & maybe solder to the leads of the lighted letters. Then drill a small hole where the letter will be & pull/run the wire through to a accessible location. They are most likely 1.5 volts, you could probably use a potentiometer
http://www.tedss.com/RV4LAYSA152A/?g...vaHxoC3wfw_wcB
to step current down & use a 6 volt battery or reasonable facsimile. Put in an inline toggle switch when you wanted them on/off.

I bet Talley would know exactly how to pull this off. You could PM him.
PTAaron likes this.

Last edited by Tonto; 06-24-16 at 05:55 AM.
post #376 of 461 Old 06-24-16, 01:41 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Aaron

My System

Quote:
Tonto wrote: View Post
Boy, it's too early in the morning! I like your design so far! Can you use some small gauge wire & maybe solder to the leads of the lighted letters. Then drill a small hole where the letter will be & pull/run the wire through to a accessible location. They are most likely 1.5 volts, you could probably use a potentiometer
http://www.tedss.com/RV4LAYSA152A/?g...vaHxoC3wfw_wcB
to step current down & use a 6 volt battery or reasonable facsimile. Put in an inline toggle switch when you wanted them on/off.

I bet Talley would know exactly how to pull this off. You could PM him.
That's something I was really curious about how to do... I hope they are still on sale Saturday - at 60% off they are only about $4 more expensive than the plain wood letters

Thanks for the input on that, and I will definitely be sending a PM if I go that route!

- comments welcome!

post #377 of 461 Old 06-24-16, 02:25 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Aaron

My System

Just called up my father in-law and mentioned the idea of wiring the lights together - and he listed off exactly what I would need to make a little board so I could run them off a wall wart plug which could be added into the X-10 controller I use for my bar and pool table area lighted signs! Seems like an easy project - I'll be stopping by tomorrow morning to pick them up because it looks like the sale is still on
Tonto likes this.

- comments welcome!

post #378 of 461 Old 06-24-16, 04:48 PM
Elite Shackster
Quenten

My System

Would love to see how you do it. Pics?
post #379 of 461 Old 06-26-16, 10:40 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Aaron

My System

Huge bummer... Went up to the store yesterday to get the letters and discovered that they are way too wide to use for this project. I have 31" to work with - and when I laid them out at the store they needed at least 36" to fit if they were crammed together.
post #380 of 461 Old 06-26-16, 04:30 PM

Ron

My System

Quote:
Huge bummer... Went up to the store yesterday to get the letters and discovered that they are way too wide to use for this project. I have 31" to work with - and when I laid them out at the store they needed at least 36" to fit if they were crammed together.
Why not get a template, and route them into the wood?

Ron

My Home Theater