PTAaron's Movie Room/Game Room/Bar - Page 43 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

94Likes

post #421 of 461 Old 08-04-16, 04:55 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Aaron

My System
Re: PTAaron's Movie Room/Game Room/Bar

So I still haven't decided on the "finishing touches" for the booth... letters are still in a stack on the poker table...

Here is a picture of what it looks like right now:

Next project in the basement will be FINALLY redoing the bar. I talked about it back at the beginning of this thread - and it just never happened. Now I am MUCH more confident in my ability to build a bar - which is really not hard AT ALL, I was just over thinking it before.
This will be the next project that has to happen in the basement before I'm going to be able to justify the projector/screen.

Still have to keep most basement things on hold though until we replace 2 sliding doors and get new concrete poured for our front porch that has decided to start falling apart.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
- comments welcome!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #422 of 461 Old 08-31-16, 12:22 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Aaron

My System

Alright - I'm trying to get my plan together for the upcoming upgrade to a projector and screen. Projector will be a BenQ HT2050, screen will be a DIY spandex AT screen. Up until this past weekend my plan had been for the screen to go on the wall with speakers around it - now I am changing my mind.

First row of seating will be about 9.5' from the screen wall, planned screen will be a 16:9 117" diagonal - my available space allows 102" width for the screen.
Projector will be mounted at 10.5-11' from the screen. This allows me to take advantage of the height difference between the back half of the room and the front of the room (7'10" tall in the back half).

I have a few issues to deal with - main issue being that the false wall can only have 16" of depth behind it, and my subwoofers stick out 26" from the actual back wall... but I have a plan for that.

So let me start out by showing you guys what I'm starting with and what my plan is... and hopefully get some feedback.

So this is what the front of the room looks like now - that door on the right is the reason I can only have 16" of depth:

Plan is to build a 6" tall stage that will bow out from the edge of the door out to about 32" from the back wall - that will make it deep enough for the subs at the right point. I plan to build a false wall with fabric panels held on by velcro or magnets for the front "wall" that will go around the subs and give a place to mount the screen. Here is a SweetHome3D rendering of what it might look like:

I'm not sure exactly where to put the speakers - maybe on a platform just above the subwoofers that would let me put them out at the edges of the screen - if that seems like a reasonable width.
I'm not sure how close they can be to the wall - I'm just using the Andrew Jones Pioneer speakers right now and they are rear ported. For the moment I won't be upgrading speakers so these will have to work - not sure what the best practice is here other than reading they should be "at least a port width" away from a wall. Worst case scenario I could cut into the actual front wall - to create more space, but I would rather not if I can help it.

Plus side to this idea is that I can do some linacoustic or some other form of bass absorption behind the false wall and around the speakers - can I do that around rear ported speakers?

Does this idea look like it makes sense?
UreiCollector likes this.

- comments welcome!

post #423 of 461 Old 08-31-16, 07:05 AM
Elite Shackster

OJ

My System

Aaron, nice plan to deal with the false wall. I have a similar "funny" front wall idea, although mine isn't limited by the doorway like yours is. I wanted to keep as much depth as I could for screen distance, but the subs and equipment rack will need 2' of space. My plan is to build a lower section out 2' deep to accommodate them, and then push back the upper screen section to 1' deep. This will allow the main speakers to sit behind still, but give me a little more room for viewing distance in my tight room.
PTAaron likes this.

- OJ -

post #424 of 461 Old 08-31-16, 10:57 AM

Ron

My System

A friend of mine put ported subs by a treated wall, and had to put wood in front of the treated wall to get the bass back. Not sure how it will effect non sub frequencies though.
PTAaron likes this.

Ron

My Home Theater
BenQ MH741 Projector, Yamaha CX-A5100, (2 pr) JBL 8340As, (2 pr) JBL 8320s, PS3, XBox One, (1) Asus Mini, Redmere HDMI cables, Monster Signature HTPS7000, (2) Furman Power Conditioners, (2) DTS-10 subs, SeymourAV 180 (195" diag) scope screen, Darbee Darcet,Yamaha P7000s, Oppo UDP-203

DIY 14 channel IcePower amp coming soon.
post #425 of 461 Old 08-31-16, 11:02 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Aaron

My System

Quote:
Owen Bartley wrote: View Post
Aaron, nice plan to deal with the false wall. I have a similar "funny" front wall idea, although mine isn't limited by the doorway like yours is. I wanted to keep as much depth as I could for screen distance, but the subs and equipment rack will need 2' of space. My plan is to build a lower section out 2' deep to accommodate them, and then push back the upper screen section to 1' deep. This will allow the main speakers to sit behind still, but give me a little more room for viewing distance in my tight room.
Yeah I had considered doing something along those lines and building the lower portion out to hide the subs, but I would have to angle or curve it back in for the door and I wasn't sure how that would look. I suppose if I didn't actually build the stage I could do a fabric front wall around the subs...

Quote:
ellisr63 wrote: View Post
A friend of mine put ported subs by a treated wall, and had to put wood in front of the treated wall to get the bass back. Not sure how it will effect non sub frequencies though.
Good to know. I guess I'll just have to give it a try and see... I know people do recommend acoustic panels behind the speakers so I don't know that it would be much different? Maybe?

- comments welcome!

post #426 of 461 Old 08-31-16, 11:39 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Aaron

My System

double

- comments welcome!

post #427 of 461 Old 09-01-16, 03:05 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Aaron

My System

I did a few mock-ups of stage free versions after some discussion over on AVS... I had one idea that involved rotating the subs 90 degrees and building out the wall to hide them. In my head it sounded great, but after seeing the rendering it doesn't look so good.

So here is my "hide the subwoofers" idea ... I don't think this one will work. It brings the screen to a position where the first row is only 9' from the screen. (Used grey for the walls so they would show up... in real life all would be black)

Bringing it all back in to 16" depth on the screen wall - subwoofers rotated with the ports facing to the side walls. This layout would let me go wider on the screen than the other option would.

- comments welcome!

post #428 of 461 Old 09-06-16, 03:25 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Aaron

My System

Only current update is that my father in-law came over this weekend to take a look at the HVAC situation in my room, he does heating and cooling professionally. Currently there is one vent into the room that is located just in front of my back row of seats and no return in the room. In fact there isn't a return in the entire basement - apparently all of the air gets returned by going under the door to the upstairs - at least that's how my father in-law explained it. Problem is the movie room is pretty pretty sealed up now so the air in there isn't being pulled out when the door is closed.

What I wanted to do was either move the incoming vent to the center of the front of the room, or split it into 2 and put them closer to the side walls in the front of the room and add a return along the back wall of the room.
Main reason I wanted to do this was that it gets pretty stuffy in the room with 4-6 people watching a movie.

It turns out that won't be possible without some major work. The duct to the vent is running in a joist space and it is only a 6" duct so no splitting it. Unfortunately there isn't enough room between the drop ceiling in the back half of the room and the joists to turn it and run it to the front of the room, and the main trunk running near the front half of the room already has enough branches off of it that my FIL didn't think it would be good to add another because we would potentially lose to much airflow to the upstairs.

I may look into rerouting the 6" duct in the furnace room to bring it into the front of the room, but that looks extremely labor intensive as it will have to route around quite a few pipes and other ducts.

I will be putting in a return at the front of the room though - FIL suggested just putting an intake vent on the main trunk of the furnace and opening up a hole (with a grate on it) into the theater room in the area of my equipment rack. I will probably end up doing either that or running a duct to the front of the room off to one side (probably above the closet door).

- comments welcome!

post #429 of 461 Old 09-06-16, 04:28 PM

Ron

My System

When we were doing our HVAC setup... the installer said that we could get by without one due to the size of the room. What i do have though is a filter on a HVAC hose behind our AT screen that dumps into the closet in the next room. We do have sound leakage to the rest of the house though because of it, and you def will know if the fan is on when you try to close the closet door. LOL
PTAaron likes this.

Ron

My Home Theater
BenQ MH741 Projector, Yamaha CX-A5100, (2 pr) JBL 8340As, (2 pr) JBL 8320s, PS3, XBox One, (1) Asus Mini, Redmere HDMI cables, Monster Signature HTPS7000, (2) Furman Power Conditioners, (2) DTS-10 subs, SeymourAV 180 (195" diag) scope screen, Darbee Darcet,Yamaha P7000s, Oppo UDP-203

DIY 14 channel IcePower amp coming soon.
post #430 of 461 Old 09-08-16, 09:21 AM
Senior Shackster

My System

If you're doing an acoustically transparent screen (which is absolutely the way to go, in my opinion), I very much recommend spending just a bit more for the material than spandex. If you contact SeymourAV, they'll sell you just their material and you can use it in your DIY frame just as you would spandex. It really is affordable, and you're getting a big step up using material that was engineered to project an image on and not affect the sound passing through, as opposed to a material that was engineered to be worn by 80's rockers and aerobics instructors.

I built my 115" DIY screen with Seymour's material, velvet, and the wood for under $400.
PTAaron likes this.