PTAaron's Movie Room/Game Room/Bar - Page 44 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

79Likes

post #431 of 446 Old 09-10-16, 01:54 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Aaron

My System
Re: PTAaron's Movie Room/Game Room/Bar

Quote:
thrillcat wrote: View Post
If you're doing an acoustically transparent screen (which is absolutely the way to go, in my opinion), I very much recommend spending just a bit more for the material than spandex. If you contact SeymourAV, they'll sell you just their material and you can use it in your DIY frame just as you would spandex. It really is affordable, and you're getting a big step up using material that was engineered to project an image on and not affect the sound passing through, as opposed to a material that was engineered to be worn by 80's rockers and aerobics instructors.

I built my 115" DIY screen with Seymour's material, velvet, and the wood for under $400.
Thanks for the input, I do understand what you're saying - unfortunately $400 is a whole lot more than I can spend on a screen.
Maybe in the future... at the moment the $50-70 it will cost to build the spandex screen fits my budget much better
thrillcat likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
- comments welcome!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #432 of 446 Old 09-10-16, 01:55 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Aaron

My System

Okay - so I as working out how I wanted to build the false wall in the front of the room I realized my renderings had the ceiling height wrong. I adjusted the rendering - which makes it pretty clear than I can't go any bigger than a 102" wide screen because I'll run out of room height-wise. At 102" wide it will be 57" tall and leave me 5" of space between the ceiling and the top of the screen.
I'll have an additional 6" of height in the back part of the room where the projector will mount, so there is plenty of room there.

Anyway - this is what it will look like with 26" under the screen as needed for the rear row to be able to see the whole screen:

I did an old school drawing for the false wall framing since I still can't figure out how to use SketchUp...
I figured that the opening should allow for 2" of overhang of the screen in all directions so I am making it 4" shorter and narrower than the screen will be.
Do I need that much overhang?

I will be overbuilding this - as I always seem to do, so there will be another frame against the front wall, the frame pictured above will be 16" off the front wall to give enough depth for the speakers to sit behind the screen.
The front wall will be skinned in fabric - velvet is looking like the best option right now... I can get it locally at Joann Fabric with a coupon, and I won't need to figure out how to make a frame around the screen

I'm going to pick up some corner bass traps from the Foam Factory (it is local for me) for the front corners since it is a whole lot cheaper than anywhere else: http://www.usafoam.com/acousticfoam/bassbroad.html

I plan on doing some sort of insulation on the whole front wall - Linacoustic is a bit on the expensive side, but maybe in the future.
So anyway - that's what I'm planning so far.
albe likes this.

- comments welcome!

post #433 of 446 Old 10-03-16, 01:03 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Aaron

My System

I've done literally nothing as far as progress with the room... Not really much point at the moment since I don't have the projector

I've been spending my spare time working on tracking down some problems on my wife's SUV, and after getting new tires on my Jeep Saturday I found out that I need to replace both control arms on mine! Setting aside funds for the projector/mount/screen/etc is becoming more difficult than I expected!

On the plus side I've watched a few movies and played some PS4 games in the room, so it isn't being completely neglected

- comments welcome!

post #434 of 446 Old 12-09-16, 04:54 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Aaron

My System

Been 2 months in the making, but I have a huge update: I just ordered my projector!! I just got an early Christmas amazon gift card from my parents, and the price on the projector dropped by $130, so I had to put the order in! It will be here Sunday along with a mount.
I'm actually feeling more nervous than excited about this for some reason, and I know that is probably ridiculous... but what can you do?

I have the screen material in a box waiting for a frame to be built - a really generous local AVS member gave it to me because he didn't need it for his build anymore. VERY cool! Thanks Brian - even though I don't think you're on this forum. Screen will be white over black spandex.

Screen will be built with fingerjoined pine boards - 8'7" wide and however tall it works out to be when you divide that by 1.77
I was going to do 8'6" wide, but I discovered that the FJ pine boards came in either 12' or 8' lengths and didn't want to waste a bunch of wood... so I'll be doing 8' crossbars on the top with 1x4s on either end to bring it up to 8'7".

Thus far I have done nothing in the way of building my new front wall - simply no time or money to put towards it. All I've done is pick up a couple of FJ 1x3" boards to test out the fit for the uprights of my minimalist screenwall.

I have a "guys movie day" planned for the 18th where we will be watching Suicide Squad extended cut - don't anticipate having the screen up for that.

- comments welcome!

post #435 of 446 Old 12-09-16, 05:29 PM

Ron

My System

Be careful...once you start watching movies in the new room, you will be lucky if you do any more work on it. I didn't heed to others that said this and 3 years later my HT is still not completed.

Ron

My Home Theater
Yamaha CX-A5100, (3) JBL 2360A/EV DHA-1s, (3) 1/4 Pie bass bins, (2 pr) JBL 8340As, (2 pr) JBL 8320s, PS3, XBox One, (2) Intel NUCs, Redmere HDMI cables, Monster Signature HTPS7000, (2) Furman Power Conditioners, (2) DTS-10 subs, Panasonic AE8000, SeymourAV 180 (195" diag) scope screen, Darbee Darcet, Panamorph UH-480 lens, (2) Crest Audio 2208, Yamaha XM-4080 & P7000s, (2) MiniDSP DDRC-88M, Oppo UDP-203

post #436 of 446 Old 12-09-16, 06:04 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Aaron

My System

Quote:
ellisr63 wrote: View Post
Be careful...once you start watching movies in the new room, you will be lucky if you do any more work on it. I didn't heed to others that said this and 3 years later my HT is still not completed.
Haha! Yeah... I'm going to build a "minimalist" screen wall with velvet panels, I am going to build in just the uprights to hang the screen at first. My fear is I will never get the velvet panels built

I'm thinking the screen build and installation of the uprights and rigging a way to hang the screen shouldn't take too much more than a day of work. I do also have to build a stand for the center speaker - I think I'll be just standing the right and lefts on top of the subs instead of building the large shelf I had been planning on.
ellisr63 likes this.

- comments welcome!

post #437 of 446 Old 12-12-16, 01:32 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Aaron

My System

Projector arrived today... didn't get much time to play with it but I did throw a sheet up in my living room and fire it up. Watched a bit of Pitch Perfect 2 through my computer - it just happened to be what was on the web app from my cable provider at the time, don't judge!

I was pretty impressed with how it looked on an unevenly hung sheet in a room with the lights on - so I can't wait to see how it looks on a proper screen in a light controlled theater room!

- comments welcome!

post #438 of 446 Old 12-28-16, 01:25 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Aaron

My System

We've officially moved into Version 3.0 of the English Way Cinema...

First I had to mount the projector and figure out how to mount the outlet for power and an outlet for the HDMI... being that I had a drop ceiling to deal with I wanted to deal with and wanted everything mounted "correctly".
I just happened to have a piece of 2x12 leftover from my riser build that just happened to be the exact size to replace part of a ceiling tile...

On the 24th I had a little time so I got to work trying to get things figured out...

Pulled out the Kreg pocket hole gizmo that I have never used before and drilled myself a few holes...

A friend that does a lot of woodworking suggested getting the Kreg specialized clamp for keeping things in place - and it worked like a charm!

You may notice that the 2x4 pieces are different lengths and you may wonder if there is a reason... the answer is "yes". The reason is that I had 2 pieces of 2x4 laying around that were different lengths and I didn't want to fire up the saw at midnight. LOL!

Ended up looking like this:

Took a lot of fiddling but I got the mount attached to the projector - this was the first attempt, turned out it needed to be shifted over a bit to get the lens in the middle of the room.

Test fit looked like this:

I'll have to pull it back down to make the hole for the outlet - and while it is down I'll get it painted flat black to match the rest of the ceiling.

- comments welcome!

post #439 of 446 Old 12-28-16, 01:29 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Aaron

My System

Monday I had a little time... and decided to get to work on my screen!

Started out by putting the Kreg pocket hole jig to good use - note the creative solution to the low ceiling

I also put the router I got from my wife's grandpa to good use to put some grooves in 1x2 boards for the "frame stiffeners":

You can see that I did 2 passes with a 3/8" bit to get the 3/4" I needed... it's made a lot of sawdust! Clearly hooking the shop vac to the router didn't do much! LOL!

It was at this point that I realized I had made a big mistake. I drilled the pocket holes in the 1x3s without actually measuring them to see if they were actually 8' long! When I checked - it turned out they were both too long, but not the same amount of too long. Since the holes were already drilled there was only a fraction of an inch I could trim off on either end - and to make it better one of the 2 remaining boards had a nasty lateral curve to it so I couldn't use it for the frame!
Thankfully the other spare board was good and also a good length. Very long story slightly shorter: the long boards are 1/4" longer than originally planned.

Next bummer was that the special pocket hole clamp I used earlier wouldn't work for this frame
Luckily I had a solution:

End result was this beauty:

Before I could get the "stiffener trim" installed I had to stop... my plan for the day also included changing a wheel bearing on my wife's car - and that took way too long to get back to the screen build.

- comments welcome!

post #440 of 446 Old 12-28-16, 01:36 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Aaron

My System

Still left to do on the screen build is attach the stiffener boards, attach the Screen Tight strips, add a cross beam between the center uprights for the French cleat to attach to... and then stretch the 2 layers of spandex onto it. Not too bad...
Of course then I have to build the front wall framing that it will attach to... then build the panels that will be covered in velvet and fill in the area around the screen... and then add the corner bass traps... and ... and ... and ... Okay there is a lot still to do.

- comments welcome!