PTAaron's Movie Room/Game Room/Bar - Page 8 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

93Likes

post #71 of 460 Old 03-23-12, 01:01 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Aaron

My System
Another semi-pointless update:
Prepped the room (mostly) for painting...

I've got 2 gallons of Sorcerer's Hat blue for the walls... The doors will be black... The trim is going to end up either blue or dark grey.
I'm really debating painting the ceiling tiles black - I don't think it will look right leaving them white once the walls are done.

Our female cat (Daphne) is having surgery tomorrow ... So some friends are bringing us dinner in the evening - and they are going to help put down the first layer of blue. I should have some pictures tomorrow night.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
- comments welcome!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #72 of 460 Old 03-23-12, 01:40 AM
Senior Shackster

My System
Re: PTAaron's Movie Room/Game Room/Bar

No pointless update. Now we can see before and after pictures. Always nice!

It's also the first time I can see the ceiling this well. Are those tiles acoustically optimized? If not, you might be able to replace them and improve your acoustics big time.

PS Audio • Marantz • Oppo • ALR/Jordan • Velodyne • inakustik • Furutech • JVC • Stewart

Chamber of Dreams

post #73 of 460 Old 03-23-12, 06:32 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Aaron

My System
Quote:
HTip wrote:
No pointless update. Now we can see before and after pictures. Always nice!

It's also the first time I can see the ceiling this well. Are those tiles acoustically optimized? If not, you might be able to replace them and improve your acoustics big time.
They came with the house, so I'm not sure. The basement was originally constructed in the mid 90's - so I'm sure they used whatever was the standard at the time.
In those photos the tiles are all popped up just so I don't accidentally get paint on them - still need to tape off the drop ceiling frame tonight before we paint - at 1:30 I decided I should probably go to sleep

- comments welcome!

post #74 of 460 Old 03-23-12, 07:07 AM
Senior Shackster

My System

It's definitely worth looking into. My ceiling consists of fibre glass panels that absorb everything from 250Hz and up. That was due to the lack of ceiling height. I heard cases where the same tile started at 125Hz.

The tiles come in different colors, mine are black, which is favourable for the picture quality as well.

PS Audio • Marantz • Oppo • ALR/Jordan • Velodyne • inakustik • Furutech • JVC • Stewart

Chamber of Dreams

post #75 of 460 Old 03-23-12, 02:29 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Aaron

My System

Thank you for the info! I'll have to look into that - like I mentioned before, the budget for the room is pretty small at the moment...

On another note - while discussing my plan with one of my co-workers I have settled on black for the color of the trim in the room... it makes the most sense.

- comments welcome!

post #76 of 460 Old 03-23-12, 03:48 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Aaron

My System

Quote:
PTAaron wrote: View Post
Our female cat (Daphne) is having surgery tomorrow ...

An updated on the off topic comment here: Daphne's surgeon just called me and let me know that she was done with the procedure and was awake. She had a growth on her neck that had been there for years, but recently had grown significantly and was starting to bother her. During the pre-surgical workup we found out she has some out of whack numbers in her blood work for her kidneys - so they were concerned about how she would handle the anesthesia... but it all went well. We just have to follow up on that in a few weeks after trying a special diet...

Anyway - back to our regularly scheduled program...

- comments welcome!

post #77 of 460 Old 03-23-12, 05:52 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

The Mad Professor

My System

It's very upsetting when one of the family members (and I'm referring to our animals) has a health problem..and we feel their pain just as if it was our own child..
It can be very costly to remedy the problem sometimes, and many people spend thousands on their pets to do just that!

My niece just recently spent $2000 to have two knee joints replaced in her cat!
Glad to hear that Daphne came through the operation ok..

Prof..
Home Theatre...the never ending story!

post #78 of 460 Old 03-23-12, 10:22 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Aaron

My System
Quote:
Prof. wrote:
It's very upsetting when one of the family members (and I'm referring to our animals) has a health problem..and we feel their pain just as if it was our own child..
It can be very costly to remedy the problem sometimes, and many people spend thousands on their pets to do just that!

My niece just recently spent $2000 to have two knee joints replaced in her cat!
Glad to hear that Daphne came through the operation ok..
Thank you Prof!
She is now home and acting just like herself ... although slightly annoyed to be confined to just one room!

2 knee replacements... Wow!

- comments welcome!

post #79 of 460 Old 03-23-12, 10:31 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Aaron

My System
First cost of paint laid down... Went up very quickly with 4 people painting

The parts that are drying already are a bit deeper and look great. The second coat will just make it look amazing. The color already "disappears" when I turn the lights down to "movie mode".

- comments welcome!

post #80 of 460 Old 03-23-12, 11:14 PM
HTS Moderator

Joe

My System

Looks great Aaron!! I would go with the black for the ceiling tiles as well - take a look at HTip's before / after pics when he painted his (I think it was his.... ) - it made a big difference in lighting reflections back onto the screen.

Glad to hear Daphne is doing ok!