Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

PGA's The Mjolnir Theater Build

Tags
build ht pga
49K views 164 replies 17 participants last post by  phillihp23 
#1 ·
I'm a newbie to all this. Planning to put together a home theater. Not as detailed and intensive as yours though......$$$$$. Looking to get started on it in the next week or so.

Questions:

Issues:

1: what effect do vaulted ceilings ( my rooom has ) have on picture quality, light throw from the screen reflecting? Paint Ceiling Black?? Velvet around screen or paint front wall black ?

2: I have windows in the room I am going to turn into a HT, whats the best way to block them out??
I would like it to be removeable what ever the fix is. I was thinking some sort of styrofoam block with a felt covering??? Any ideas??

3: Room paint and light reflection?? I read a few articles and they insist on dark flat neutral colors. You did a great job with yours, making it usable and liveable to be in when not viewing film. (not morbid)

Room info:
The room is 15' long, 15' wide and 8' tall walls - vaulted ceilings
Wood floors, light colored walls (a light yellow/green/white called pampis grass)
When house was built had the room pre-wired for a projector on ceiling and 7.1 sound

Limited Budget 1st Build (theres always future builds ) $3000 approx.

Denon AVR1912 875w (need to purchase) cost $550
Elite EzFrame Fixed Frame Screen Cinegrey 106" cost $400 or 126" $500(need to purchase)
Epson Powerlite 3010 (need to purchase) cost $1600
Projector mount (need to purchase) cost $300-500
Definitive Technology speakers (have)
Blue ray Player (have)
Cable Box (have)

Any input advice for room or needed equipment would be great.

See less See more
#2 ·
Anyone have an opinion on which of these three projectors would be better?? Or other suggestion?

Mitsubishi HC4000
Panasonic PTAE4000
Epson Powerlite 3010

#3 ·
Well I found some reasonable prices:
Panasonic PTAE7000, 120" screen, Projector mount, 34' HDMI 1.4, two 3d movies and a calibration/setup disc for $3347 at Visualapex.com

They also have the
Epson 5010, 120" screen, Projector mount, 34" HDMI 1.4, two 3d movies and a calibration/setup disc for $3000

And here is a great link that compares the two
http://www.projectorreviews.com/projectors/pt-ae7000_vs_Epson_HC5010/index.php

#4 ·
1: what effect do vaulted ceilings ( my rooom has ) have on picture quality, light throw from the screen reflecting? Paint Ceiling Black?? Velvet around screen or paint front wall black ?
A vaulted ceiling won't have any affect on picture quality, providing it's not too low and is not light in colour..
Ideally the ceiling should be painted dark grey..or black..The front wall likewise can be painted in the same colour..

2: I have windows in the room I am going to turn into a HT, whats the best way to block them out??
I would like it to be removeable what ever the fix is. I was thinking some sort of styrofoam block with a felt covering??? Any ideas??
I made a window plug..http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/home-audio-acoustics/9610-blocking-out-window.html
It's a bit more substantial than just using foam (which incidentally you shouldn't use) and it completely covers past the glass area..No light leaks whatsoever..

3: Room paint and light reflection?? I read a few articles and they insist on dark flat neutral colors. You did a great job with yours, making it usable and liveable to be in when not viewing film. (not morbid)
Dark coloured walls are a must, if you're building a dedicated theatre room..

Room info:
The room is 15' long, 15' wide and 8' tall walls - vaulted ceilings
A square room is the worst possible scenario for a theatre! It's very difficult to obtain a suitable acoustic environment, without a lot of treatment..
Wood floors, light colored walls
Wood floors are not good acoustically speaking, and you will need to put down a thick dark coloured throw rug in front of the screen area..
When house was built had the room pre-wired for a projector on ceiling and 7.1 sound

Limited Budget 1st Build (theres always future builds ) $3000 approx.

Denon AVR1912 875w (need to purchase) cost $550
Elite EzFrame Fixed Frame Screen Cinegrey 106" cost $400 or 126" $500(need to purchase)
Epson Powerlite 3010 (need to purchase) cost $1600
Projector mount (need to purchase) cost $300-500
Definitive Technology speakers (have)
Blue ray Player (have)
Cable Box (have)
That all looks good..:T

#6 ·
Some photos of the room currently:

Screen wall
[/IMG]

Back of Room

[/IMG]

Projector Mount Area

[/IMG]

Right Side Wall

[/IMG]

Left Side Wall

[/IMG]

Closet Area where audio equipment will be shelved
[/IMG]

Close up of tubed port from pojector mount in ceiling back to closet.

[/IMG]

#7 ·
Luckly when the house was built as you can see in the pictures I had the speaker wiring installed.
Also had them install a power outlet on the ceiling for the projector, on its own breaker in the box.
And had a tube run from the pojector spot on the ceiling into the closet.

Spent most of today debating how to black out the windows, and pondering room paint colors....

Going to order the projector and screen tommorrow....Decided on : $3347
PTAE7000
HDMI v1.4 - 35ft
IMAX Dinosaurs 2D / 3D
Nature's Journey Blu-ray DVD
Universal Projector Mount
WOW Calibration Disc
Visual Apex 120 in. Fixed Frame Screen

#8 ·
The Wall configurations for the Screen

[/IMG]

The Room layout

[/IMG]

Anyone see an issue with the seating positioning.... at 14 feet and 12 feet from the screen?

#9 ·
looks good so far. I am watching this thread. One thing I see with your speaker heights is that you may have to angle them up a little bit to to ensure the tweaters are aimed at the listening position. I think you are good with your screen height also. I can't wait to see the finished product.

#10 ·
Tried to order Berkline 12003 Seating today. Was told they are no longer in business.
Ordered Lane 103 Matinee Recliner Black, row of three straight. (almost the same as the Berkline)
Ordered the projector Pani 7000 and Screen 100".
Still fretting about the colors to paint the room....Need to paint by this weekend. :yikes:

#12 · (Edited)
Painted the room today....pictures to be posted shortly.

Lowes Olympic Paint

Ceiling and front wall Flat Black
Other walls Sun Dried Tomatoe

#13 ·
Nice plans for your HT!

I looked at your designs and fed the parameters in this calculator, http://www.projectorcentral.com/Panasonic-PT-AE7000-projection-calculator-pro.htm

When you select screen size of 120", recommended seating position is between 12 and 19 feet. So that is just on the edge. I would recommend a little smaller screen though, but you already ordered, so maybe put the seats back a little.

The projector mounted at 12'5" uses all zoom capacity which I would not recommend. A better place would be 15'8" if possible. You can fiddle around with all parameters yourself I you would like.

Good luck with the build!

#14 ·
Keep up all the geat advice. I find it very helpfull. Before ordering the projector screen I did a little last minute research and talked to the company...ended up buying the 100" screen. For the facts as you stated, mount distance available and maxing out the zoom capacity.

#15 ·
Need some lighting input....

Looking to install low voltage lighting...

3 lights shooting down from above screen (100" screen diaginal) (straight down or back and angled at?) (watts?)

4 sconces (2 each side wall) (watts?)

2 lights shining down on dvd racks in back of room (install straight above shooting down or back angled shooting at?) (watts?)

4 lights in ceiling of room (recessed but anglable /want to shoot straight down but ceiling is recessed) (watts?)

Any ideas on watts for particular locations? lamp brands??

Looking to install a programmable wall switch that can be operated off a android application (wifi)? At least three settings. ON, fade out, OFF. Or any other ideas?

Also have a light fixture in the middle of the ceiling. Looking to remove it and replace with a fan possible. Was thinking install one fan in the closet above the AV equipment and one in the center of the room ceiling. One pull air and one push air....create a circulation in the room. Ideas???? Super quiet low rpm fan ideas????

#16 ·
Want to install wall panel molding around bottom of room....Is there some place I can buy these???
Anyone wanna make me some :R

#17 ·
Whats the closest distance you can sit and comfortably view a 100" screen (49" Tall x 87" Wide)?

#20 ·
[/IMG]

Flat Black Wall and Ceiling

[/IMG]

Sun Dried Tomato Walls

#22 ·

#23 ·
Just looking for some opinions??

My walls are flat paint and my ceiling is flat paint. Would it look weird having a satin or gloss trim and panel ??

And i started painting my door...original high gloss white...with a flat black. Then realized the paint may not adhere and bubble peel. Now I am back to sanding...:coocoo:

#25 ·
Yes, I think you are correct. I will do a low gloss/satin type finish for the trim. Otherwise the room overall might look really FLAT LOL! Trim is meant to add a little pop! to a room anyway. Opinions and advice always welcome.

#26 ·
After looking at many different AV Racks/Stands and not finding something I really like I have decided to build my own. I shall start this weekend with sanding down the cut boards and priming. Besides the end cost will be $120 compared to purchasing something for $300.

#27 ·
Painted Shelves
[/IMG]

Painted Shelve Trim
[/IMG

Mounted Brackets
[/IMG]

Attached Shelves
[/IMG]

Found out after the first shelve...you have too leave about a inch between the shelve and the wall bracket or you cant adjust the shelves up and down.

[/IMG]

Will borrow my friends nailer gun to attach the trim quickly...later this week.

#28 ·
Also painted the closet Trim and the door to the room Black... Used Lowes Dark kettle Black in a Satin. This will be the color for the room crown, Trim and Panels.

[/IMG]

On anther note...I started looking at carpets. I was getting quotes for $1700 etc.. The issue i have is I don't want to ruin the hard wood floor in the room. They insist on spot gluing with strips around the edge or gluing the whole pad. So I looked into large throw carpets... I can get a 12' x 12" rug for $800. Seeing that the room is only approximately 15x15 I decided its a better solution.

Will be tackling the panels this week......

#29 ·
Managed to get half the panel board up in the room (sheet rock). I did it 24" up the wall due to the windows Made sure it was level so the chair rail can be installed right on it.

It wouldn"t look right otherwise. It sure wasn't fun cutting out all the outlet recepticals. I still have to change the actual outlets to black...then put in extenders so the outlets will fit properly flush with the panels ( 1/2 " sheet rock).

[/IMG]

#31 ·
All the sheet rock hung, taped and mudded.

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

Started priming the chair rail and basseboards.
[/IMG]

#32 ·
And for the PROF! a look into the future.....

[/IMG]

#35 ·
Because I am making panels. It provides some sound dampening effect/some accustic help. I prefer the depth perception rather than affixing a chair rail directly to the main wall.

"People take differant roads but in the end reach a similar destination".
"One is not always understood but acceptance is appreciated".

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.