Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

MrAngles' Tornado Shelter Theater

Tags
basement
98K views 731 replies 26 participants last post by  NBPk402 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey everybody, I've been reading the forums for a while to get ideas for my home theater in anticipation of my new house with unfinished basement. We're all moved in to the house and I'm ready to start the planning phase for finishing the basement. I want a home theater and an office down there and would like to make the most of my space (primarily for the theater). The problem space-wise is that there are two round metal support posts in the middle of the basement (indicated on the floorplans as brown dots). Here's a floorplan of the basement as it is now.
http://img528.imageshack.us/img528/729/basementoriginal.jpg

Here's what I've got planned so far for the layout:
http://img51.imageshack.us/img51/6318/basementoption1.jpg

The ceilings will be about 7 feet tall and I was hoping to do a 120"-140" 16x9 screen, and was hoping to two rows of seating, so a room 18 feet long seems like it would be on the small side. It occurred to me that I could move the back wall a few feet back, and put the post in some kind of pillar, which would allow me to move the seating back a bit, but I'm not sure how well that would work in real life having a pillar there.
http://img826.imageshack.us/img826/8568/basementoption2.jpg

I wanted to get some opinions from people who maybe have dealt with a similar issue, or at least people with projectors and a large screen to see what thoughts you you have on having a pillar in the room, or if there are other configurations you'd suggest. Let me know if you need any more information.

See less See more
#727 ·
I've been rethinking the floorplan for outside of the theater. This was my original plan:

I wanted to have kind of "foyer" area with a freestanding A/V component rack and a bunch of media storage out in the open. I also wanted to have an office area that also had a spare bed in it, although the office in this plan was pretty small to include a bed.

Now with my kids getting older, having friends over and using the theater when I'm not home, I'm more included to have the A/V rack and media storage hidden away in the office, so I've redone the floorplan:

Having the office door across from the theater door keeps it out of the way of the main office area, allowing room for a full bed or maybe even a queen, and up to two corner desks, or dressers and whatnot if someone were to use it as an actual bedroom, since there's now a bedroom style closet in the room. The front of the A/V rack is accessible from the office closet, and the back and one side are accessible from the unfinished area. Having the A/V rack access uses up a couple feet of closet space, but it's 8 feet wide so that should be okay. If new owners wanted to use the room as a dedicated bedroom instead of an office, they could easily put their components the opposite direction and put a panel up to close up the back wall of the closet in the bedroom. I think the hallway is wide enough to where I can get stuff in and out of the office and theater.

Any feedback on the new floorplan? Anything I'm missing here?

#728 ·
If you are rethinking the area... Why not just extend the HT, and move the office to part of the storage area? If you did it this way you could have your DVD storage, and amp rack in the HT hidden behind you. This would also allow you to go with a AT screen, and hide all your speakers.:T:T

#729 ·
Haha, well the HT room is all done, structurally speaking, so aside from other physical design limitations for the room, I'm not going to redo all the framing, soundproofing, HVAC, in that back wall at this point. Anyway, I prefer to not have my equipment and media in the theater room, and if the office is going to be able to double as an official bedroom, it needs to be in the part of the basement where the egress window is:).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.