BamaBum Theatre Build - Page 11 - Home Theater Forum and Systems -

post #101 of 289 Old 02-04-13, 03:00 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Shoulder is great. I'm off pain meds and in pt as I type. Mostly just a wasted arm for the next few months.

I'm having a friend help out with the screen as I bark orders over his shoulder.
Sponsored Links
post #102 of 289 Old 02-04-13, 03:06 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
It's time for the screen

Frame built from hard pine and sprayed black

Name:  image-1527958072.jpg
Views: 588
Size:  106.9 KB

Using 2x4 for basic support. Attaching via deck supports.

Name:  image-4096166292.jpg
Views: 600
Size:  64.8 KB

Just learned my pneumatic stapler needs different staples then what was bought as a pair on amazon. Guess I just perpetuated the "bought together" problem.
post #103 of 289 Old 02-05-13, 11:10 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Re: BamaBum Theatre Build

The Seymour AV screen material looks great. I can not see the moire affect others mentioned. The material is clearly cut on a 15 degree diagonal to kill the effect. Others say they can see the prob at 8ft. I sit ~10 ft from the screen and I can not see anything. I moved closer and cant see anything. Maybe I need glasses as my wife suggests or the material is good. I leaned it up next to the painted wall and I can not see a big difference.

The carpet arrived today

Since I was cheap I needed to meet the driver down the road. His 18 wheeler could not come down my street.

He graciously loaded it onto my trailer.

As I drove down the street at 15 mph with carpet hanging out 4 ft in the other lane a student driver car passed with several kids and a teacher in it. I pulled off to the side and the 16 yr old girl passed at a rate of 2 mph with 4 ft to clear but her eyes were 8 ft wide.

It was raining so I enlisted several bystanders around the house to help unload and roll into the garage since it has been raining.

EDIT: Removed Pic due to rules : (

The installer will be here on Saturday. My shoulder prevented me from moving myself. I thought about winching it to the trailer hitch before others showed up. Thank goodness they showed up randomly.

I was able to locate staples and affix the Seymour AV screen material to the frame last night. I had problems with the black support frame showing through even though they were 3/4 in off the screen. I read on Seymour's site that they offer backing if you have light splash from the back wall. I was definitely having this but I didn't have the front wall lined with anything but paint. from the pic you can see the picture shinning through on the back wall.

I decided to remove the supports and line the back with very stretched black spandex. It was a good decision.

Spandex does not do well with staples when stretched tight so I made X patterns with staples. I started at the long ends and tacked. Then I moved to the middle with X tacks. Then I started a 3000 staple salute to the troops. I'm sure something random was stapled to the screen during this process. It was a cloud of dust with many random items permanently affixed via a pneumatic gun.

It was time to break out the Ecose sound material from GIK.

I have had the boxes for a few weeks and they have had many paint splatters on them as my son used for paint ball shelters during big battles.

I bought these due to their air quality. I see many using products using Phenol which is one of the carcinogenics in cigarettes.

I added them to the front stage wall and built a box for the center

I wrapped the center support and added french cleats for the screen.

My iPhone takes @#$@ pics. I think the blur is from grime on the lens. I keep it in my pocket all the time un protected.

finished product....

I was able to hang the screen but I will have to post pics later....

BTW, Who keeps doing this to the TP in my house?

Its not a slot machine. Stop spinning it so fast.

I also am happy with a new product via kickstart.

I finally know which charger is mine and more importantly my kids know its not theirs. Each family member has their own color.

Ive also determined hash browns make the best Ice Pack for a recovering shoulder.

Last edited by bamabum; 02-05-13 at 11:41 PM.
post #104 of 289 Old 02-05-13, 11:25 PM
Senior Shackster
My System

That was an awesome update....Things are really coming along nicely.....keep up the good work
post #105 of 289 Old 02-06-13, 10:58 AM
Senior Shackster

Great update, the little details in the process are always nice to see, toilet paper included.
post #106 of 289 Old 02-06-13, 12:32 PM
HTS Moderator
My System

Amazing progress considering you are down one shoulder!
post #107 of 289 Old 02-06-13, 01:21 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

I get by with a little help from my friends. I get by with a little help from my friends.
post #108 of 289 Old 02-06-13, 03:22 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

I've noticed a huge difference in room audio dynamics with the front wall covered and bass traps in place. The majority of slap echo is gone. A movie I use to watch at 55 DB would hurt when at 70 DB. Now it sounds great at 70 DB. I'm wondering if all the echo/bouncing was hurting my brain in a way. Ive measured this via my SPL meter instead of what the amp says....

This made me wonder how loud is too loud?

Thanks to google....
  • A typical conversation occurs at 60 dB – not loud enough to cause damage.
  • A bulldozer that is idling (note that this is idling, not actively bulldozing) is loud enough at 85 dB that it can cause permanent damage after only 1 work day (8 hours).
  • When listening to a personal music system with stock earphones at a maximum volume, the sound generated can reach a level of over 100 dBA, loud enough to begin causing permanent damage after just 15 minutes per day!
  • A clap of thunder from a nearby storm (120 dB) or a gunshot (140-190 dB, depending on weapon), can both cause immediate damage.

Occupation Safety and Health Administration officials determined the daily permissible noise-level exposure is eight hours for 90 decibels of sound and hearing loss may result from sustained exposure of levels above 90-95 decibels, according to their website.

and scarily I read the movie theaters just wing the volume.. (link

"The average sound levels were 131.5 decibels for the G/PG-rated movies, 131.8 decibels for the PG-13-rated movies and 126.6 decibels for the R-rated movies"

I wonder If all their treatment makes you not notice it?

post #109 of 289 Old 02-06-13, 07:26 PM
Elite Shackster
My System

Interesting information bamabum.....looking forward to more while your laid up with the bum shoulder.
post #110 of 289 Old 02-06-13, 08:40 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Thought Id post s few of the screen mount.

I used a french cleat which is simply cutting board at a 45degree angle.

It sits down flush. I just pulled apart for the picture.

at the bottom I added another 3/4 in back stop to the support so that the screen would stay at a 90 degree angle vertically. Without it I fear the weight would loosen the french cleat over time.

you can see the speaker sits very close the screen. I've had no sound issues that I can detect.

You can see the screen weave pattern on the screen up close. From around 6 ft you can no longer see it

finished product

In broad daylight without blackout window treatment

At night with led side lights on

In the dark

things are coming along better than planned.

bamabum , build , theatre

Quick Reply

Register Now

Confirm Password
Email Address
Confirm Email Address
Random Question
Random Question #2

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address

Activation requires you reply to an email we will send you after you register... if you do not reply to this email, you will not be able to view certain areas of the forum or certain images... nor will you be able download software.

See our banned email list here: Banned Email List

We DO NOT respond to spamcop, boxtrapper and spamblocker emails... please add @hometheatershack DOT com to your whitelist prior to registering or you will get nowhere on your registration.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page