Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

BamaBum Theatre Build

Tags
bamabum build
65K views 288 replies 40 participants last post by  koldby 
#1 · (Edited)
EDIT - Finished Pics

The Beginning

Just starting on finishing the Theatre room in my house. The previous owner built it but didn't finish it out.

First things first. I have a large opening of 12 ft on right wall from viewing position to enable more flow to and from the game room adjacent.

the room is 25 deep x 15 wide x 10 tall

Primary purpose: Watching football games and entertaining. Xbox Gaming. Movie watching.

Primary Equipment:
Epson 6010 UB Projector - Split screen hdmi source for watching multiple games or playing multiple xbox as well as parallel source to duplicate into game room.
Denon 3313ci Amp - For multi-zone audio for attached game room
Def Tech 8060 Floors and 8040 Center and Surrounds.

See less See more
#127 ·
thank you For-Shizzle-CHRIS,

I haven't got to the sub yet. I overlooked due to ignorance thinking the floor deftechs had enough built in. However they do not go low enough now that I'm educated. It sorta like going to a car show. All of a sudden you HAVE to HAVE this or that. I agree I need to put some rubber isolation on the projector mount. What subs do you like? I have about 24" cube floor space avail.

I'm probably going to replace the current mount that was free. It is not perfect at staying in position. Any mounts with built in isolation type design?

#128 ·
you really need to isolate it with some springs and a plate. but that is not very important right now.

subs are a whole different branch of the HT and can get very complicated.

are you going to DIY or buy. if you DIY... you can save a ton of money but at the expense of your time. if you value time more and have money you need to spend at least 1500 per sub. it should be Heavy and have at least a 15 inch driver. at the very least I would get 2.

it will add to your HT some wicked wow factor when the rumble hits your chest.

IMO if you built your subs you could build a 1500 sub for about 400-500. figure 200-300 for a decent driver and the materials for the cabinet plus you need an amp.

I built some clone MFW-15 and I will find a picture for you.

#133 ·
you really need to isolate it with some springs and a plate. but that is not very important right now.

subs are a whole different branch of the HT and can get very complicated.

are you going to DIY or buy. if you DIY... you can save a ton of money but at the expense of your time. if you value time more and have money you need to spend at least 1500 per sub. it should be Heavy and have at least a 15 inch driver. at the very least I would get 2.

it will add to your HT some wicked wow factor when the rumble hits your chest.

IMO if you built your subs you could build a 1500 sub for about 400-500. figure 200-300 for a decent driver and the materials for the cabinet plus you need an amp.

I built some clone MFW-15 and I will find a picture for you.
Agreed, more bang for your buck when DIY. Looking and what you've done so far you shouldn't have a problem going DIY. And IMO, probably won't take you that long. Most of the time when I do a build ( in general, not just speakers) the planning is the most time consuming. Without any measurements I can tell you that our SI18 with 1100W is pretty awesome. And the driver and 2000W amp added up to less than $450. If you had two if them, you'd be happy for sure!

#134 ·
This would be awesome and I think could fit the 18's

http://www.diysoundgroup.com/flat-packs-1/subwoofer-flatpacks-2/4-sub-flat-pack.html

Its a pre made MDF box that has been CNC'd, I have bought some flat packs from these guys and the quality is great. The value is exceptional.

You would just have to route out the baffle. Glue them up, Stuff, Finish and you would be done. I bet you could get this done in 2 weeks.

#135 ·
I'm waiting to see how you finish that screen wall. Are you going to leave it freestanding, so to speak in the middle, so the L & R speakers stay in the open? I don't think I've ever seen it done that way, and I really like the idea. I imagine that allows you to have less clearance between the false wall and the real wall, and it makes me reconsider the option of doing an AT screen in my room.

#136 ·
Thanks for the sub tips. I need to research more. Do you usually just split the preamp out of the main receiver to the two sub amps?

MrA, I admit it has a nice warehouse look. I am going to build a false wall. I've just been starring at it to make up my design in my head.

Right now I need a certain type of hinge that I'm researching for the design.

#141 ·
I was at my daughters national cheer competition this weekend and while we were in the stands my ears were hurting from the speakers. I had my laptop so I opened REW. It was a constant 120 DB. We decided to stand in the back. It was still 115 DB. Thank goodness we were only in there for her performance.

I did notice how the bass was felt in my chest. Now I'm convinced I'm building some subs. Since I have an empty ceiling above.... What are the thoughts on down firing subs mounted in the ceiling?

#142 ·
What are the thoughts on down firing subs mounted in the ceiling?
Sounds like an infinite baffle setup. I'm sure you'd want to seal up the section of attic over the theater from the attic over the rest of the house though, or you'd get a lot of boomy bass in the other rooms, especially through ceiling HVAC or a bathroom vent fan.

#145 ·
I like the behringer inuke DSPs .... Id suggest the NU3000DSP 2 power 2 15inch subs ( that is the least you would want) . If you have more money you can also get the behringer europower EP4000 http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/EP4000.aspx ...although your going to need a minidsp for it so the cost just goes up and up!

i really suggest the DIYSOUNDGROUP Flat pack to save your self some time.

Do you want to do this all from scratch or is a flat pack an option?

We love spending other peoples money around here :bigsmile::rofl:

also you take the sub out and you may need a Y connector to go to the SUB amp.... if you get a behringer you will need need some XLR to RCA cables that you can get from monoprice

#148 ·
Thanks for all the thoughts....

I think the Ceiling idea is busted now.

I mentioned the thoughts of a sub build to a friend who runs sound for larger bands and after 3 hours of dissertation I was just as confused as I am now. I will gather my thoughts and ask more later. He said he would bring over his 18" boxes to rattle my windows. I declined.

Why is it that each step of your HT you think u are so close to being finished and have all the knowledge and then all of a sudden WHAM! You don't know diddly.

It seams I have room for about 2 subs @ 12 CU FT on my front stage but maybe these are not the ideal spots.

I will do more research....

I did manage to get a house keeping item done. The carpet to Bamboo floor transition is done...

The wife is picking out fabric for blackout curtains in the game room and possibly a full theater curtain for the opening. Not sure if we will just have false curtain ends yet...

Votes? It doesn't matter what you say because a woman has decided.

Paint just went up in the man cave. Next step is to redo the mantle and get some wall decor. I was thinking of moving the whole def techs setup into this room and building a new system for the theater.

Then I told my wife of my plans and now I'm grounded.

BTW, ever eat Ethiopian food?

There is no silverware. NONE!

Don't even ask for silverware.... You just eat with a sponge bread by cupping the meat with the bread.

They asked if I liked spicy and I was like "Who doesn't"

About a hour later I was like

#149 ·
Paint just went up in the man cave. Next step is to redo the mantle and get some wall decor. I was thinking of moving the whole def techs setup into this room and building a new system for the theater.

Then I told my wife of my plans and now I'm grounded.
Wait, a flat panel that ISN'T over the fireplace? I don't think that's allowed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.