Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

BamaBum Theatre Build

Tags
bamabum build
65K views 288 replies 40 participants last post by  koldby 
#1 · (Edited)
EDIT - Finished Pics

The Beginning

Just starting on finishing the Theatre room in my house. The previous owner built it but didn't finish it out.

First things first. I have a large opening of 12 ft on right wall from viewing position to enable more flow to and from the game room adjacent.

the room is 25 deep x 15 wide x 10 tall

Primary purpose: Watching football games and entertaining. Xbox Gaming. Movie watching.

Primary Equipment:
Epson 6010 UB Projector - Split screen hdmi source for watching multiple games or playing multiple xbox as well as parallel source to duplicate into game room.
Denon 3313ci Amp - For multi-zone audio for attached game room
Def Tech 8060 Floors and 8040 Center and Surrounds.

See less See more
#214 ·
B-one, The Tacos were Delish!

HorrorFan the 33rd, I had a biscuit joiner before but it got lost in the last move. I second the strength it adds. I keep saying I will buy a new one just after a task that required it but fail to before I start the next task.

forChrizzy, The theater is located on the second floor above the small garage. Between it and any bedroom is a future game room, office, and a long hall. Most room are down stairs at the other end of an L-shaped house. This combined with a few acres made sound proofing very easy - I just don't care about it as much as others. However I haven't put in the big subs yet.

I was able to get the sconces wired today and I had one of those proud papa moments again. Its the little things that really set off a room. My kids keep playing on the random rolling ottoman. I might have to keep it but have it covered in the same material as the seats.

I have been very disappointed with the small perimeter LED lights. I am just not a fan of the white light. I bought very small ones and have a dimmer but even on the lowest I don't care for them. I might try to put a lens on them or something.

The new sconces are incandescent lights and they are so much nicer. They put such a great feel to the room. Also I have noticed the screen looks so much better than when using the perimeter LEDS.

These were taken from the same angle on a paused screen. The Incandescent is so much easier on the screen. I am not sure how much upward or downwards facing makes in the equation. You can really see the difference in the red truck and brown jacket.

The Uplight and Downlight text are switched :doh:, the LED is DOWN and Incand UP. THE LED IS ON LEFT.

Time to iron my favorite shirt for tomorrow!

#221 ·
Mopar,

Don't let my experience with the LED can lights dictate yours. There are plenty of others that enjoy their perimeter LEDs.

I think they work better for others because they use wall fabric vs my Satin paint walls. The fabric will reduce reflection of the light and soften the effect on the screen. Also I think I have the last set too close to the screen. I might hardwire bypass the 2 closest to the screen in the near future and it should help.

Also I have sensitive eyes so the down facing LEDs were just not a good approach for me.

#224 ·
Very nice work :TT

#227 ·
I printed the fabric on SpoonFlower.com.

I built the frame from hard pine. I used 1x3 ripped to true 2"x3/4". I used l brackets in the corner to keep square. Ill try to take more pictures on the next 3. The first was a test so the next 3 will go fast.

The inner sound absorber part is ecose from GIK

I wrapped the front with the fabric after ironing and stapled in the rear. The rear was simple brown painters paper stapled around the edges.

All in all it was less than $70 and about 2 hrs labor.
Fabric ~ 30
ecose ~18
Wood ~ 12
fastners, paper etc ~ 8

The other 3 should only be about 40 min each now that I understand the process.

#230 ·
I ordered basic cotton ultra based upon recommendations. It seams to be the correct choice since they don't carry Kona at this time. It has a slight stretch to it and is breathable.

I originally designed in Photoshop with 150 dpi/ppi with a print width of 42 wide by 48 long. I planned on leaving 3 in on each side to cover the 2 in wide boards on the outside as well as 1 in for stapling in the rear. This would make it 36 wide by 42 long.

When the material arrived it was off by 1/4" on each side and varied on each print even though they came from the same Photoshop file. My guess is that the ink shrinks the material slightly as it dries. This is why I have 34 1/4 x 41 1/2 because this was the best measurement working across all the pictures as delivered.

To get their software to work I chose centered, 150 dpi with 2 yards for each. This gave me a 42 printable width. This fabric is sold with 42 width printing area. I needed 2 yards to get the height.

It took 7 days or so to arrive.

It you don't have Photoshop try gimp or paint.net, just set the ppi to 150 at a min and set printable area to the correct dimensions, then paste your image and re size.

#231 · (Edited)
I got a break and finished out the posters.

I took a few more pictures this time

First I Ripped 1x3 into true 3/4" x 2"

Then I cut the ends in simple 45 degrees ends

next I tacked them together with 2" trim nails

Then I added l brackets for support and to keep square.

Next I ironed the fabric on the back side on top of towels

I positioned the frame on top of the sheet and secured the first end. I found an x pattern staple holds best for stretching without ripping the fabric. Also I doubled the fabric over for stronger hold and tear resistance.

Start with 3 staples on each end long end stretched tight. then secure middle sides with 3 staples.

Next just work around the frame towards the edges and last just fold the corners like a Christmas present.

I stuffed them with sound absorbing ecos from GIK. I used a simple backing with staples to hold into place.

Last steps are to lint roll the face to remove any debri and then hang with with monkey hook for a flush look. I have heard that hanging an inch or two off the wall is better for sound absorption. In that case I would have used stretch spandex to secure the back.

#234 ·
Between yesterday and today I read through all 24 pages. Great build! I'm getting ready to build a new home with a multi-purpose media room. I need to figure out how to get some acoustic treatments into the room without the wife noticing what they are. :rolleyesno: Acoustic Artwork may be the way to go. :)

#235 ·
What a great idea. Love it! I am sure others on HTS will be implementing this in the future.:D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.