Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

BamaBum Theatre Build

Tags
bamabum build
65K views 288 replies 40 participants last post by  koldby 
#1 · (Edited)
EDIT - Finished Pics

The Beginning

Just starting on finishing the Theatre room in my house. The previous owner built it but didn't finish it out.

First things first. I have a large opening of 12 ft on right wall from viewing position to enable more flow to and from the game room adjacent.

the room is 25 deep x 15 wide x 10 tall

Primary purpose: Watching football games and entertaining. Xbox Gaming. Movie watching.

Primary Equipment:
Epson 6010 UB Projector - Split screen hdmi source for watching multiple games or playing multiple xbox as well as parallel source to duplicate into game room.
Denon 3313ci Amp - For multi-zone audio for attached game room
Def Tech 8060 Floors and 8040 Center and Surrounds.

See less See more
#4 ·
Thx Peter.

I must first say this is a very addictive, expensive, and confusing adventure!

I am on information overload right now.

I have a separate media closet where I currently house:
Xantech 8 zone audio
Xantech 4 way component matrix - for smaller house tvs
Direct Tv boxes
Apple Tv
Grace Audio
Dual FM Tuner
Routers, Cable Modem
Intercom
Security Cameras
HomeSeer Server - Zwave lighting
URC Msc 400

All of that was DIY and pretty easy compared to what I'm getting into here.

My plans are a 12 seater with 2 rows of 4 recliner style and a bar in the back.
I plan on a 1.5 ft false wall in the front with a vutech 123.
First row of seats at 11 feet (eye to screen) and second at 17 on riser. Then bar for 4 right behind.

I'm thinking of a remote control curtain to perform the blackout to the other room for better light control when watching movies. I also think I will need to install a better sound proof scheme in connected room to prevent leaking of sound to the rest of the house.

I have some wire and sound on order to start understanding the room acoustics.

My wife has fabric samples of Pallisar on order as well as GOM for wall panels.

My current delimas / questions

Sound proof on the front wall? Even when using BiPolar Speakers? The Def Tech towers have speakers pointing to the rear and it seams this would defeat the purpose.

50 ft runs to the media closet? Does a 50 ft HDMI cable really work wel or are baluns better?

Researching how to best kill the room echo. Very "tin"ny.

The new soffit I just added seams to need treatment but Im not sure what. I was going to just use it as my wire housing and just add drywall.

#7 ·
50 ft runs to the media closet? Does a 50 ft HDMI cable really work wel or are baluns better?
I have found this article from RAM Electronics to be helpful in terms of choosing HDMI cables. Other members may be able to chime in with advice about the limitations of HDMI at longer distances. I have had good results with HDMI over CAT5 for longer runs. Monoprice.com has what you need to do that. They have good prices on HDMI cables as well - I am using a couple of theirs at home.

#6 ·
Wardsweb,

I was just posting about this. To be honest, I just built it yesterday after viewing others theaters mostly to contain smaller perimeter lights and as an easy cable management location.

I'm thinking I can add something in there as a base trap but still researching.

I'm not very organized/experienced on this project so things will definitely change as others advise.

Most of my other construction projects have started on a napkin drawing as well.

#9 ·
Thanks for the quick replies. I have some research todo tonight.

A few more photos

Theater entrance from game room.

current media closet

Blue lines are where columns will go

and for fun..

my new favorite stud finder from Franklin. it shows you the studs exact location. Very friendly when working around plumbing in the wall. It doesn't detect electrical or water like my other but is amazing at finding studs.

#13 ·
Thx Jgourlie.

I was very fortunate to have the space already there. Some of it has been recently done by me and a friend such as the large opening (needed open flow space even though I will pay acoustically), temp Media Closet shelving and the bamboo hardwood floors.

I don't do drywall, paint or framing but the rest I have done myself so far.

I like your Theatre. I am thinking of a similar false wall.

#15 ·
jg,

I am planning on speaker cloth front wall.

I dry fit my projector tonight to do some testing and learning... Epson 6020 UB

Tried out the projector with large light coming in from next room

This was all just against a single white coat of paint. I bet a screen would work better.

from left front seat position

New things learned.....

Add a few usb ports / power into one of the columns to charge the usb 3D glasses.

need to have 2 hdmi and one component run to projector.

Also it has vga from computer but I think my PC laptop is hdmi out so I should be good there and I should be able to airplay my mac onto the screen.

Definitely need to consider ir repeater to it and rs 232 cable to control.

#18 ·
Looks like it is coming along nicely. What are the dimensions of your soffits? Are you going to wrap cloth on the front and bottom?

#20 ·
Thx for your thoughts. Im not sure I will do speaker cloth due to esthetics. The drop is 16 " wide by 8" tall. I plane to 45 the corners to smooth out the look.

I wonder if bass is so penetrating why you couldn't use as a base trap even with drywall finish??

I ran 500 ft of speaker cable today and 200 ft LFE as RG6. This is my first LFE so I hope I'm doing it right.

I'm enjoying the system already and watching Thor (yes the project does slow once the projector is up) via Amazon prime right now. I wonder if they use a different format? I have a 16:9 screen painted temporarily on the wall but the format is much wider. is this the 2.something format?

I had to tone and wrangle the previous owners mess today.

I ran 5.2 so far. 5 - 12 gauge in wall monster and 2 coax. I still have another 2 runs for back wall in theater room and 2 for the game room bipolar speakers. Back to amazon for more cable.

Final coats of trim and paint went up in the game room.

#21 ·
I had to tone and wrangle the previous owners mess today.

Final coats of trim and paint went up in the game room.
Oh yikes, good luck keeping track of all those wires. Tip-toeing around in all that insulation is always fun...

I like the game room color. Is that plumbing for a sink on the wall in the photo? Seems like an odd place.

#22 ·
I'm a little late to the party, but thought I'd chime in on the HDMI run. I've used 50 ft HDMI cables as well as cat6 converter boxes, both from monoprice. I've never had a single problem with the 50 ft HDMI. Cat6 on the other hand is a little tricky. I had some problems with a few devices not transmitting picture or sound at all until I added a powered splitter to amplify the signal, and even after that I've had issues with interference when things like the refrigerator compressor clicked on the signal would cut out for a second.

#28 ·
I'm about to order some GIK absorbers, traps, etc. once I take some room measurements. They have been very helpful. I realize I can save money on DIY but sometimes I think its better to get a polished product and pay for the advice as well. I also like the green product usage without the formaldehyde.

I need to figure our the REV tool. I cant find the equipment recommended on their posts. I'm wondering if others have the same issue. It would be so much easier if they just put amazon links up.

#30 · (Edited)
Did you do all those models on sketch up??? those are really nicely done....as for reading your room palm that is one area I would love to learn more about....hopefully I can learn from your experience here.

Also I think you are good to go with those redmere hdmi cables....I was wanting to get those, but they weren't released until a month after my roof in my theater was all closed up....luckily the 40ft monoprice hdmi I did buy is working just fine.

#31 ·
JG,

I am using Live interior Pro for MAC. Sketch Up frustrated me. Live INterior does support importing google models so you get the best of both IMHO.

Electrician stopped by today.

Good work done. All the LED can lights were installed, sconce stubbed in, plugs rerouted, whole panel surge protection installed, dedicated circuits for AV, etc. I even knocked off 2 honey do list items in electrical around the house.

I saw a nice column and sconce layout at a hotel this week. Not really good colors for a theater but I find myself studying things like this now...

Other good progress today in routing 2 one direction red mere mono price HDMI to the media closet.

The amp is now in its place in the rack and I've hooked up the fronts.

Everything looks great so far. I need to test local blue ray vs over the long runs to compare.

I have been using these plugs for the speaker wire. I must say I really like, What a clean job.
Sewell Deadbolt Banana Plugs with Fast-Lock Technology

Some GOM samples arrived. Trying to determine which match the color scheme.

I was trying out the xbox when all of a sudden.

I switched modes on the xBox and order was restored. I need to study the avail modes on this Epson 6020ub. I don't think the settings are the best for Xbox. It should have a much better resolution.
My son beat me pretty easy.

Now back to watching elf with my daughter.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.