Mounting TV over gas fireplace??? is it ok im getting so many different opinions - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 13 Old 03-20-13, 11:23 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

Mounting TV over gas fireplace??? is it ok im getting so many different opinions

Will the TV be able to withstand the extra heat. Ive read so many different articles and everyone has a different opinion on gas fireplaces (b vent style: where it uses the room air for combustion not outside air)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 03-20-13, 11:55 AM

Ron

My System
Re: Mounting TV over gas fireplace??? is it ok im getting so many different opinions

We have a 32" flat panel over our fireplace and we have no problems... We seldom use our fireplace though, and when we do we are not using the flat panel. I think the main thing to worry about is soot if you burn logs but if you use gas then it would be heat. I think if the fireplace is used moderately you will have no problems.

Ron

My Home Theater
Yamaha CX-A5100, (3) JBL 2360A/EV DHA-1s, (3) 1/4 Pie bass bins, (2 pr) JBL 8340As, (2 pr) JBL 8320s, PS3, XBox One, (2) Intel NUCs, Redmere HDMI cables, Monster Signature HTPS7000, (2) Furman Power Conditioners, (2) DTS-10 subs, Panasonic AE8000, SeymourAV 180 (195" diag) scope screen, Darbee Darcet, Panamorph UH-480 lens, (2) Crest Audio 2208, Yamaha XM-4080 & P7000s, (2) MiniDSP DDRC-88M, Pioneer BDP-80DF

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
post #3 of 13 Old 03-20-13, 02:47 PM
Shackster
foraye

My System
Re: Mounting TV over gas fireplace??? is it ok im getting so many different opinions

Quick answer...

Yes, mount the TV there...and never use the fireplace again. That's what I did with my 55" LED LG. Electronics do not like heat. We use the fireplace maybe twice per year on average, so it was an easy choice.

I do not like seeing any wires either so I used the fire box to run my power and HDMI cables.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
post #4 of 13 Old 03-20-13, 03:49 PM
Elite Shackster

My System
We have our plasma wall mounted over the fireplace and it does not get hot. I guess it depends on the construction/layout of your fireplace.
post #5 of 13 Old 03-20-13, 04:13 PM
Shackster
foraye

My System

I have a wood burning fireplace, without a fan pushing heat out, so I have radiated heat in all directions...

post #6 of 13 Old 03-20-13, 04:14 PM
Elite Shackster

Mr. Rabbit

Most fireplaces are built with an air gap between the flue and the wall. This area is okay for low voltage and electrical. In the room it's a matter of how hot the area over the mantle gets. Reference your user manual to see the safe operating range for your TV then check to see how hot the mantle gets.
post #7 of 13 Old 03-21-13, 12:28 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

check out this thermal image:
http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/is-i...r-tv-ov-161860
post #8 of 13 Old 03-21-13, 09:52 AM
Shackster
foraye

My System

Quote:
wantboost wrote: View Post
That's the end of this argument from a technical standpoint!...83 deg. is still hot to me...but it could have been a plasma tv, and they run HOT.

I also like the "this also voids your warranty section"

If any of you have owned a PS3 and seen the Yellow or Red Light of Death, then you'll be very cautious with too much heat around your electronics. The PS3 processors etc. are surface mounted on their circuit boards...for some reason the solder re-flows ever so lightly at lower than normal temperatures and cause a short or open circuit. One of the most widely accepted fixes is/was to...you guessed it...heat the board with a heat gun or in your oven to attempt to fix it!...I've seen this work for a bit then it fails again...

JM2C.

post #9 of 13 Old 04-02-13, 11:55 AM
Senior Shackster
Bud

My System

I heard that if you leave the fan on for a while after you shut the fireplace off you will be OK. BUT I have talked to a Fireplace installer that said they were getting lots of complaints about tv's failing that are mounted above fireplaces. He said they didn't use the fan to blow the hot air out into the room
post #10 of 13 Old 07-31-13, 06:18 PM

I needed to mount a TV above the fireplace because it was really the only place in the room it could be viewed by everyone and not in the way. The mantel of our fireplace is rather high (almost 6 feet) which would put the center of the TV well above a comfortable viewing angle. I spent months searching for a TV mount that could lower the TV to a decent height. I quickly discovered that anything motorized would cost several times what I paid for the TV. Beyond that, there were 2 options: Omnimount or Down and Out by Dynamic Mounting. The Omnimount is cheaper ($200-$300 vs. $400-$500) but an inferior product for my purposes. The Down and Out mount is much thinner (protrudes ~4 inches from the wall) and can lower the TV much farther (~30 inches!). I should also say that I have engineering degrees and tend to do all my own work. I thought about making my own mount but was a bit surprised at both the cost and level of difficulty. The Down and Out was fairly simple to mount on the wall and works VERY well.
Attached Thumbnails
Mounting TV over gas fireplace??? is it ok im getting so many different opinions-tv-comb.jpg