Mounting TV over gas fireplace??? is it ok im getting so many different opinions - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com
Home Theater Shack Forums
Creative Sound Solutions: Loudspeaker kits and components for subwoofers, midwoofers, woofers and full range speakers! Genelec: Active Speakers and Speaker Systems Audio General, Inc.: Great deals on projectors, screens and electronics. Underwood HiFi - Excellent discounts on some awesome name brands. Power Sound Audio designs, develops, and assembles high quality loudspeakers and subwoofers for home theater environments. Visual Apex: The most competitive pricing for home theater projectors... and built on customer satisfaction! SVSound XTZ Sound Marantz OPPO Digital - Universal Network 3D Blu-ray Players - Buy Direct from the Manufacturer Chane Music & Cinema Madisound Value Electronics: A trusted retailer and custom installer that specializes in whole-house audio, home theater, Plasma, LCD, LED, HDTVs, Blu-ray and more. Standout Design DSP Axiom Audio

Like Us on facebookREW
Go Back   Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com > Home Theater Installation | Systems > Home Theater Design and Construction
Forgot Password?
Donations Reviews Vendors

Reply     Post New Thread
Views: 23945 - Replies: 12  
Old 03-20-13, 11:23 AM   #1
Shackster

Since: Mar 2012
I started this thread.
Mounting TV over gas fireplace??? is it ok im getting so many different opinions

Will the TV be able to withstand the extra heat. Ive read so many different articles and everyone has a different opinion on gas fireplaces (b vent style: where it uses the room air for combustion not outside air)

Forum Rules Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-13, 11:55 AM   #2
HTS Moderator

Since: Feb 2012
In the Home Theater
My System
Re: Mounting TV over gas fireplace??? is it ok im getting so many different opinions

We have a 32" flat panel over our fireplace and we have no problems... We seldom use our fireplace though, and when we do we are not using the flat panel. I think the main thing to worry about is soot if you burn logs but if you use gas then it would be heat. I think if the fireplace is used moderately you will have no problems.

tia,
Ron

My Home Theater
3 JBL 2360 horns with EV DH1A drivers, and 1/4 pie bass bins, 4 Klipsch Heresy Industrial HIPs, 2 Klipsch KP3002s, 2 Danley SUPER SPUD subs, Yamaha P7000S, Denon 4520, Panasonic AE8000, and a Seymour AT 195" diagonal Scope screen.
My Go Big or Go Home Theater Construction Thread

Old 03-20-13, 02:47 PM   #3
Shackster

foraye
Since: Jun 2008
PA
My System
Re: Mounting TV over gas fireplace??? is it ok im getting so many different opinions

Quick answer...

Yes, mount the TV there...and never use the fireplace again. That's what I did with my 55" LED LG. Electronics do not like heat. We use the fireplace maybe twice per year on average, so it was an easy choice.

I do not like seeing any wires either so I used the fire box to run my power and HDMI cables.

Old 03-20-13, 03:49 PM   #4
Elite Shackster

Since: Dec 2011

We have our plasma wall mounted over the fireplace and it does not get hot. I guess it depends on the construction/layout of your fireplace.

Old 03-20-13, 04:13 PM   #5
Shackster

foraye
PA
My System

I have a wood burning fireplace, without a fan pushing heat out, so I have radiated heat in all directions...

Old 03-20-13, 04:14 PM   #6
Elite Shackster

Mr. Rabbit
Since: Feb 2011
New Orleans, LA

Most fireplaces are built with an air gap between the flue and the wall. This area is okay for low voltage and electrical. In the room it's a matter of how hot the area over the mantle gets. Reference your user manual to see the safe operating range for your TV then check to see how hot the mantle gets.

Old 03-21-13, 12:28 AM   #7
Shackster

Since: Mar 2012
I started this thread.

check out this thermal image:
http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/is-i...r-tv-ov-161860

Old 03-21-13, 09:52 AM   #8
Shackster

foraye
PA
My System

Quote:
wantboost wrote: View Post
That's the end of this argument from a technical standpoint!...83 deg. is still hot to me...but it could have been a plasma tv, and they run HOT.

I also like the "this also voids your warranty section"

If any of you have owned a PS3 and seen the Yellow or Red Light of Death, then you'll be very cautious with too much heat around your electronics. The PS3 processors etc. are surface mounted on their circuit boards...for some reason the solder re-flows ever so lightly at lower than normal temperatures and cause a short or open circuit. One of the most widely accepted fixes is/was to...you guessed it...heat the board with a heat gun or in your oven to attempt to fix it!...I've seen this work for a bit then it fails again...

JM2C.

Old 04-02-13, 11:55 AM   #9
Senior Shackster

Bud
Since: Sep 2009
Brandon SD
My System

I heard that if you leave the fan on for a while after you shut the fireplace off you will be OK. BUT I have talked to a Fireplace installer that said they were getting lots of complaints about tv's failing that are mounted above fireplaces. He said they didn't use the fan to blow the hot air out into the room

Old 07-31-13, 06:18 PM   #10

Since: Jul 2013

I needed to mount a TV above the fireplace because it was really the only place in the room it could be viewed by everyone and not in the way. The mantel of our fireplace is rather high (almost 6 feet) which would put the center of the TV well above a comfortable viewing angle. I spent months searching for a TV mount that could lower the TV to a decent height. I quickly discovered that anything motorized would cost several times what I paid for the TV. Beyond that, there were 2 options: Omnimount or Down and Out by Dynamic Mounting. The Omnimount is cheaper ($200-$300 vs. $400-$500) but an inferior product for my purposes. The Down and Out mount is much thinner (protrudes ~4 inches from the wall) and can lower the TV much farther (~30 inches!). I should also say that I have engineering degrees and tend to do all my own work. I thought about making my own mount but was a bit surprised at both the cost and level of difficulty. The Down and Out was fairly simple to mount on the wall and works VERY well.

Attachments

Reply     Post New Thread     Back to Top of Page

Musicians Friend: Your one stop shop for microphones, mic amps and Behringer products.   Cmple   Monoprice Electronics   Amazon   Velodyne Check out the Woot product for today!

Onkyo   GIK Acoustics: Home audio acoustics at its best... especially when you have help from the owners right here at the Shack!  Check out their very affordable acoustic panels!   Nyrius   Aperion Audio   Axiom Audio  Parts Express: Excellent Source for DIY Speaker and Subwoofer Projects!

« Home Theater Shack > Home Theater Installation | Systems > Home Theater Design and Construction »

« Previous Thread   Next Thread »