#1 · (Edited)
HERE is a link to my previous phases...

PHASE THREE !

Upgraded Equipment:

Projector: Panasonic PT-AE8000U
Preamp/Processor: Onkyo PR-SC5508
Amplifier 1: Emotiva XPA-5
Amplifier 2: Emotiva UPA-5
Screen: Jamestown Custom 140" wide 2.35:1 AT screen with Seymour XD material.
Mains: Mirage OM-10
Surround Side: Mirage OM-S2
Surround Back: Infinity Quatropole
Center: Mirage OM-C2
Sub: Yamaha YST-1500

Room: The room layout will be rotated 180 deg. to accomadate the AT screen wall. I'm also planning to darken the walls and do some acoustic treatment. I've also decided to build a small stage under the screen and add columns and sconces.

See less See more
#34 ·
this weekend was for trim and counter top. at this point its about 75% complete. I need to add some electric outlets and A/V connects. I'm still deciding what I need there, but most likely I'll have at least 1 HDMI, Component and Composite Jacks for music.

I also decided to get rid of the projector mount I had earlier and add a PJ shelf instead. As a result the picture quality seem better with the PJ right side up...its just crisper.

The PJ box. I used pars of a old coffee table (base) and 1 X 3

#41 ·
Nice choice on the wallpaper, really makes the room pop! How was the installation? I've taken wallpaper off the table for anything we do in our house for both the installation and removal difficulties. I've seen too many disastrous removals to commit to it myself, but I've heard the newer stuff is a lot better.

#43 ·
Thanks!

installation was very easy. Compared to gluing felt to the ceiling, this was a snap. Due to the heaver weight paper and the mfg. instructions to apply the glue to the wall then apply paper, it got a lot easier. The walls already has matte paint so I didnt bother to prime or scuff anything. the tedious part was matching my pattern across the wall. This paper is only 21" in width and the pattern repeats every 2.5" -3". So I cut my strips 3" or longer vertically and I was always able to lie my pattern up!

I saw a few youtube videos advising us to apply glue to the walpaper first then letting it soak for a few minutes folder up etc. This makes for a long day...if glue get on your cutting surface then it might get on your pattern.

#45 ·
Next up are some very simple Window/sliding door cornices. It got cold and I will apply some trim to them in the spring, If i'm not watching movies!

I then cleand up the front stage by building panels for the open spaces and an access door.

Access Door...covered in spandex, since it might have a speaker behind it.

Nice and dark!...clean up begins...

#47 ·
My wife asked for my Christmas List...I gave her 1 thing in the form of a link to the Emotiva shopping cart for...UPA-500 to power my surrounds. I'll be going for the full 9.2 that the 5508 delivers. I currently have 7.1 configured, but this spring/summer should bring a new DIY front stage with my current mirages doing duty as Wides, and 2 DIY subs. The rack is filling out. I have yet to put back the HTPC .

#48 ·
Overall, in this phase I upgraded everything except speakers and seating. The room looks and feels much warmer. People who have visited usually gives a "wow, when did you do all this?" response. Its more of a dedicated theater now, compared to just a open room with a big screen and projector. It feels warmer now!

#51 ·
Let me ask you a question. Your room looks awesome first off. I am looking to design a room but was wanting to make a stage like you have in front to use for kids acts, parties etc. Is yours built for that to have people on it and can your system be hooked upto microphone etc. Does it have a hollow floor echo or is it solid?

Thanks,
Joe

#52 ·
Hi Joe and thanks for the compliment.

The stage is built purely for cosmetic appeal, but can support a load if needed. It is only 4 1/4 inches high and sit on the basement slab. it is stuffed with insulation and I've noticed no echoing. It is also fully floating and not connected to any walls etc.

Yes I can connect a mic to the system.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.