Ellis Family Retirement HT: Go big or go home - Page 12 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

43Likes

post #111 of 855 Old 02-23-14, 08:10 PM Thread Starter

Ron

My System
Re: My retirement Home Theater

Progress report: Today we got all the drywall removed in the garage, and all the insulation except for the ceiling. We measured out for seating, and discovered we will not have enough room for 2 rows of seating plus a bar, so we decided to eliminate the hallway and just do a double wall all around the theater. We will put up a 3' high wall right by the entrance to the theater... It will only be about 2-3' long, and is being installed because one of the La Scalas will be right there and building the wall will give it some corner loading plus I don't have to worry about someone walking into the speaker.

This will mean my theater will now be about 19' wide and 28' long (including the 5' deep area behind the screen). We are planning on running all the electrical wiring under a sub floor (we are back to the original plan of a 2" high sub floor), from the behind the screen powering 6 power recliners, and a few accessories. We will also down the same path under the floor more wiring that will go up the rear wall and then go around the room in a soffit for lighting, and maybe a fiber optic sky. We looked at the original ceiling and it has electrical wiring already going through it for the rest of the house, We don't want to mess with it, so we are planning to just do the clips, drywall, gg, drywall on the ceiling and then run the new lighting in the soffit. We will however have to do some major re piping of the HVAC as we have a 24" duct running down the side of the garage and another one coming out at 90 degrees from that and heading toward the ceiling, and then splitting into two runs that go across our ceiling. I ordered a whole house surge protector that will be going in next to our fuse box panel (which is in the front right hand corner next to the screen (we are planning on concealing it with a bass trap). Monday night we are going to try and get some of the old electrical wiring out of the room, so we will have a clean slate to start with before we start building the second wall. I will try and get some pics this week at what we are looking at. We also have a water filtering system that must be relocated and we must take into account a heater duct vent.

Any problems with what we are planning, or further suggestions? Hopefully we are not forgetting anything.

Ron

My Home Theater
BenQ MH741 Projector, Yamaha CX-A5100, (2 pr) JBL 8340As, (2 pr) JBL 8320s, PS3, XBox One, (1) Asus Mini, Redmere HDMI cables, Monster Signature HTPS7000, (2) Furman Power Conditioners, (2) DTS-10 subs, SeymourAV 180 (195" diag) scope screen, Darbee Darcet,Yamaha P7000s, Oppo UDP-203

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

DIY 14 channel IcePower amp coming soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #112 of 855 Old 02-23-14, 08:27 PM
Senior Shackster

I have one of the whole house surge protectors, well worth it. Sounds like you have a plan, I thought I did but it seems to change regularly.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

post #113 of 855 Old 02-23-14, 08:35 PM Thread Starter

Ron

My System

Quote:
duder1982 wrote: View Post
I have one of the whole house surge protectors, well worth it. Sounds like you have a plan, I thought I did but it seems to change regularly.
Yeah every step it seems develops a rethinking of the previous plan to make sure it works out. With the new plan the room won't be as symmetrical as the old but it will be over 3' wider. One thing we did was allow for 6" in between the power recliners for drink holders, and PS3 controllers. I figure 90% of the time it will only be my wife and I and our dogs watching movies in the theater so why have the bar. The other thing is we might cut a hole in the left hand wall and make a cubby hole for a small fridge. All the Audio equipment will most like ly be behind the screen or I could make a small cubby hole in the side wall and maybe eliminate the fridge if there is not enough room. The more I think about it the more I think the electronics would be better off being in the same room instead of behind the screen...

We got the Leviton 51120 Whole house surge protector.

I forgot to ask... Is it going to be ok to have the first row of seating at 13' when the room is actually 28' deep (that is because of the 5' deep cavity behind the screen)? What are others doing about projector power and mounting? I am concerned because I currently have the BenQ W1070 and I might get a different projector down the road which might have a different throw. Should I make a soffit right down the center of the room to hide my wires for power and HDMI cable?

Ron

My Home Theater
BenQ MH741 Projector, Yamaha CX-A5100, (2 pr) JBL 8340As, (2 pr) JBL 8320s, PS3, XBox One, (1) Asus Mini, Redmere HDMI cables, Monster Signature HTPS7000, (2) Furman Power Conditioners, (2) DTS-10 subs, SeymourAV 180 (195" diag) scope screen, Darbee Darcet,Yamaha P7000s, Oppo UDP-203

post #114 of 855 Old 02-24-14, 07:25 PM Thread Starter

Ron

My System

Here are some pics...

Pic 1

pic 2

pic 3

pic 4

pic 5

The shelves will be coming down and everything else will be coming out soon... This was just to show what our current problems are in the construction, and to figure out what to do to solve them. We have thought about replacing the water heater with a tankless water heater and also going to a smaller more efficient multizone heater. For size and placement you can see my La Scala bass bins on the floor where they will most likely be going. In one pic you can also see a DTS-10 sub (one of 2). The bass bin that is currently right in front of the garage door will be our center channel but it will be put in place after the new extension is built. This week we will be installing the new Whole House Surge protector, and eliminating any unneeded electrical wiring and lighting.

Ron

My Home Theater

post #115 of 855 Old 02-24-14, 07:26 PM Thread Starter

Ron

My System

In the above pics you can see our problem with the HVAC pipes (the hose is from our old A/C unit and will be replaced and run under the house to the new location...

Question #1: Do we need to remove the water heater and Furnace and do green glue on the walls behind it, or is it possible to make a door that could seal it off?

Question #2: Any suggestions on how to reroute the HVAC pipes?

Question #3: Should we caulk all the wall joists to the outside wall panels to seal it better? We will be using clay pads to seal the electrical box and any other obvious penetrations.

Ron

My Home Theater

post #116 of 855 Old 02-24-14, 07:46 PM
Senior Shackster

I would try to run the hvac runs to the perimeter and build a sound proof sofit around them(you can do some cool stuff with sofet). I know you might have mentioned it but what is the purpose of the 5' cavity for the front stage.

All so to answer a question I think you had earlier about the DTS 10 being a riser. I know it should support it as that is why they made the THspud for the possibility of a riser. The only problem is I don't know how high it would be.

I would seal up the room with a good heavy door, I think the soundproofing store sells stuff for this. Yes I would caulk any joints possible to the outside or even to sharing walls so you can prevent as much as flow coming and going as possible.

post #117 of 855 Old 02-24-14, 07:54 PM Thread Starter

Ron

My System

Quote:
duder1982 wrote: View Post
I would try to run the hvac runs to the perimeter and build a sound proof sofit around them(you can do some cool stuff with sofet). I know you might have mentioned it but what is the purpose of the 5' cavity for the front stage.

All so to answer a question I think you had earlier about the DTS 10 being a riser. I know it should support it as that is why they made the THspud for the possibility of a riser. The only problem is I don't know how high it would be.

I would seal up the room with a good heavy door, I think the soundproofing store sells stuff for this. Yes I would caulk any joints possible to the outside or even to sharing walls so you can prevent as much as flow coming and going as possible.
The current garage door opening will be the new AT screen... Hence the requirement for an additional 5' of garage depth needed to house the front 5 channels. I have been trying to get in touch with a rep from Danley to see about using 1 or both DTS-10 subs as a riser for the 2nd row of seating but I have been unable to reach anyone. We do have enough room to do it. The door in the rear will be replaced with a solid core door and well sealed.

What do we do about the water heater and furnace area... Can we get a door that will seal it off for noise (will it be a fire hazard to do that even with the venting)? I have been trying to get a hold of a friend who does HVAC to see what he thinks, but so far I haven't been able to reach him.

Ron

My Home Theater

post #118 of 855 Old 02-24-14, 08:18 PM
Senior Shackster

Plenty of people build a mechanical room with a door in their basement. As long as you have air intakes and exhausts on all your appliances that run to outside air I don't know why it would be a fire hazard in a garage. I would just put an exterior doorframe in there with a solid core door.

post #119 of 855 Old 02-24-14, 08:26 PM Thread Starter

Ron

My System

Quote:
MrAngles wrote: View Post
Plenty of people build a mechanical room with a door in their basement. As long as you have air intakes and exhausts on all your appliances that run to outside air I don't know why it would be a fire hazard in a garage. I would just put an exterior doorframe in there with a solid core door.

Sounds good... I will see what we need to do to mechanically vent the room as currently it just has the standard vent that goes to the ceiling. Next biggie then is figuring out how to reroute those massive duct pipes in the ceiling. I know we could just build around them but I think it will seriously destroy the looks of the theater plus the sound.

Ron

My Home Theater

post #120 of 855 Old 02-25-14, 10:18 AM
Senior Shackster

A floorplan of the room might help with the HVAC plan. I can't really picture where everything's going to go.