Ellis Family Retirement HT: Go big or go home - Page 14 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

43Likes

post #131 of 855 Old 02-28-14, 06:54 PM Thread Starter

Ron

My System
Re: My retirement Home Theater

Look what arrived today...

We finished up with getting rid of all the excess phone lines, electric wires, and cables, and while we were cutting out the area for the audio rack my Horns and drivers showed up! Man they are BIG! You can see them next to my La Scala bass bin and also the Danley subs. I can't wait to get them hooked up. The MiniDSPs are on the way too.

Ron

My Home Theater
BenQ MH741 Projector, Yamaha CX-A5100, (2 pr) JBL 8340As, (2 pr) JBL 8320s, PS3, XBox One, (1) Asus Mini, Redmere HDMI cables, Monster Signature HTPS7000, (2) Furman Power Conditioners, (2) DTS-10 subs, SeymourAV 180 (195" diag) scope screen, Darbee Darcet,Yamaha P7000s, Oppo UDP-203

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

DIY 14 channel IcePower amp coming soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #132 of 855 Old 03-01-14, 09:57 AM
Senior Shackster

I know I'm a little late in the thread but can you explain the specs for the drivers and horns? I've never seen anything like that in my life. Seriously impressive! If you've gone through this earlier in the thread let me know and I'll take a trip through the thread. I'm really excited to see how your project turns out.

Sent from my iPad using HTShack
post #133 of 855 Old 03-01-14, 10:06 AM Thread Starter

Ron

My System

Quote:
ewardjr69 wrote: View Post
I know I'm a little late in the thread but can you explain the specs for the drivers and horns? I've never seen anything like that in my life. Seriously impressive! If you've gone through this earlier in the thread let me know and I'll take a trip through the thread. I'm really excited to see how your project turns out.

Sent from my iPad using HTShack
Here are the specs on the horns... The horns from what I understand won an Academy Award years ago for sound. We will be using different drivers so the performance will not be quite the same. I am hoping that these sound almost as good as the Klipsch Jubilee speakers (the best Klipsch has ever made). I will be driving them with Topping 20-30wpc amps as they are so efficient I will be hitting way in excess of reference levels with less than 1 watt of power.

Ron

My Home Theater
BenQ MH741 Projector, Yamaha CX-A5100, (2 pr) JBL 8340As, (2 pr) JBL 8320s, PS3, XBox One, (1) Asus Mini, Redmere HDMI cables, Monster Signature HTPS7000, (2) Furman Power Conditioners, (2) DTS-10 subs, SeymourAV 180 (195" diag) scope screen, Darbee Darcet,Yamaha P7000s, Oppo UDP-203

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

post #134 of 855 Old 03-01-14, 10:53 PM Thread Starter

Ron

My System

My friend came over today and we solved the HVAC problem... We will be switching from a downdraft 30 year old furnace to a modern updraft furnace. The big intake 24" duct will be removed, and run under the floor to a new location. We will then be able to raise the other 2 runs up to the ceiling and also run two new lines for out HT. Since we are going with a new furnace we will be installing a AprilAire 4 zone controller, and a 2 zone expansion to give us a 6 zone HVAC. I was told the new HVAC will be dead silent. We will be then be installing a solid core pocket door to conceal it. I am thinking that the way to do it is see if I can get a teflon track and teflon for the bottom of the door so it will slide easy and not rattle. We will get or make some sort of seal that will apply some pressure to both sides of the door so it won't rattle. We went to HD, and looked at the slabs and will be picking up one for the behind the screen access.

Ron

My Home Theater

post #135 of 855 Old 03-01-14, 11:30 PM
Senior Shackster

Ron that is good to hear about the HVAC, good to have friends in the business. Those are some large horns, what model are they the 2360 or 2365. I know there are 3 at a local shop, if I wasn't all ready invested in my EV horns I would have jumped on a deal he had made.

post #136 of 855 Old 03-01-14, 11:43 PM Thread Starter

Ron

My System

Quote:
duder1982 wrote: View Post
Ron that is good to hear about the HVAC, good to have friends in the business. Those are some large horns, what model are they the 2360 or 2365. I know there are 3 at a local shop, if I wasn't all ready invested in my EV horns I would have jumped on a deal he had made.
2360 with EV DHA-1 drivers.

Ron

My Home Theater

post #137 of 855 Old 03-02-14, 05:08 PM Thread Starter

Ron

My System

I am trying to figure out where to run the side surround channels... Should they be lined up with the first row of seating or should they be between the 1st row and 2nd row? I need to get this nailed down as I am going to be most likely mounting them up high on the walls.

We have also decided to go back to a 3 1/2" sub floor so we can nicely run all the electrical and speaker wires there. The height channels and projector wires will all go straight up through the wall to the soffit to their desired locations. Another option would be to keep running them all in the floor but it will take quite a bit more wire I think. Hmm... gonna have to think that one out some more. The rear channels will be high on the rear wall and have diffusers all around them. I am planning on doing a full fabric covered room of boxes and rectangles... Some will have absorption behind them and others will have diffusers all of the panels will be different depths to give a random look to them.

How does this sound?

Every step brings it closer to completion but also brings on changes to the plan due to better options.

Ron

My Home Theater

post #138 of 855 Old 03-02-14, 05:25 PM
Senior Shackster

Ron that driver is the one that normally comes with the horns I am using. Bet its going to sound good. As far as the surrounds go you want them approx 90-110 degrees from the listener. This is a tough decision as do you want optimal sound for the front row, or split the difference between that and the second row. I choose to split the difference, and move them back a bit. Using bigger speakers I am hoping this will help compensate for being a little out.

On the wiring I would run it up the wall and down the joist or sofit to the desired location. Keep up the good work.

post #139 of 855 Old 03-02-14, 05:39 PM Thread Starter

Ron

My System

Quote:
duder1982 wrote: View Post
Ron that driver is the one that normally comes with the horns I am using. Bet its going to sound good. As far as the surrounds go you want them approx 90-110 degrees from the listener. This is a tough decision as do you want optimal sound for the front row, or split the difference between that and the second row. I choose to split the difference, and move them back a bit. Using bigger speakers I am hoping this will help compensate for being a little out.

On the wiring I would run it up the wall and down the joist or sofit to the desired location. Keep up the good work.
What horns are you using?

I am debating on using either the Heresy Industrials or the KP 3002 for the side surrounds... Any suggestions? The HIPs are a 3 way, and the KP3002 are 2 ways. but almost as tall as my La Scalas were.

Ron

My Home Theater

post #140 of 855 Old 03-02-14, 05:46 PM
Senior Shackster

Quote:
ellisr63 wrote: View Post
I am trying to figure out where to run the side surround channels... Should they be lined up with the first row of seating or should they be between the 1st row and 2nd row? I need to get this nailed down as I am going to be most likely mounting them up high on the walls.

We have also decided to go back to a 3 1/2" sub floor so we can nicely run all the electrical and speaker wires there. The height channels and projector wires will all go straight up through the wall to the soffit to their desired locations. Another option would be to keep running them all in the floor but it will take quite a bit more wire I think. Hmm... gonna have to think that one out some more. The rear channels will be high on the rear wall and have diffusers all around them. I am planning on doing a full fabric covered room of boxes and rectangles... Some will have absorption behind them and others will have diffusers all of the panels will be different depths to give a random look to them.

How does this sound?

Every step brings it closer to completion but also brings on changes to the plan due to better options.
I think it depends on preference a little. From my experience I like my surround speakers to be behind me, or at the very least directly to the side of my ears, never in front. I also planned to use my back row at least as much as the front row. So I put mine slightly behind my back row. I definitely hear them more in the back row, but they are always coming from the right direction.

As far as the subfloor goes, if you're only doing it for running wires it seems like an awful lot of expense, not to mention diminishing your ceiling height, when you could just use conduit and put everything in the ceiling. To get wires to my bar and riser I put in a small raised floor section behind the bar, rather than raising the entire floor.