Ellis Family Retirement HT: Go big or go home - Page 17 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

17Likes

post #161 of 795 Old 03-04-14, 09:00 PM Thread Starter

Ron

My System
Re: My retirement Home Theater

Quote:
ALMFamily wrote: View Post
I think a foot behind would be ok - are you planning to use Audyssey or a like piece of software? It should be able to handle the delays and such without an issue...
Yes, I have the Denon 4520ci... This going to work out fine then as when we opened up the wall we saw a cavity that we can use to mount the heights.

Ron

My Home Theater
Yamaha CX-A5100, (3) JBL 2360A/EV DHA-1s, (3) 1/4 Pie bass bins, (2 pr) JBL 8340As, (2 pr) JBL 8320s, PS3, XBox One, (2) Intel NUCs, Redmere HDMI cables, Monster Signature HTPS7000, (2) Furman Power Conditioners, (2) DTS-10 subs, Panasonic AE8000, SeymourAV 180 (195" diag) scope screen, Darbee Darcet, Panamorph UH-480 lens, (2) Crest Audio 2208, Yamaha XM-4080 & P7000s, (2) MiniDSP DDRC-88M, Oppo UDP-203

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #162 of 795 Old 03-04-14, 09:39 PM
HTS Moderator

Joe

My System

Quote:
ellisr63 wrote: View Post
Yes, I have the Denon 4520ci... This going to work out fine then as when we opened up the wall we saw a cavity that we can use to mount the heights.
Great unit - I seriously LOVED what XT32 did for my system....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

post #163 of 795 Old 03-08-14, 03:06 AM Thread Starter

Ron

My System

We worked on constructing the second row flooring platform today... It is built containing the 2 DTS SuoerSPUDS. The whole cavity of the second floor platform will be filled with R30 insulation stacked until it is at the top of the platform surrounding the DTS subs. We are also building a little 2x4 frame around the sub exit point (sealing the sub to a grill in the platform floor), and another one for accessing the subs in case we ever have to. The subs have r30 insulation under them providing very dense padding between the 2x4 and them plus filling the 1 1/2" cavity under the subs. We are going to use the wall isolator clips to isolate the sub from the platform and also to stabilize the subs under the flooring. The room plan has changed just a little (again)... We decided to do a little wall for about 6' where you enter the theater in the drawing (this also eliminates the problem of making doors that seal for the furnace and water heater, now we can just make a quiet pocket door). At the end of the wall will be a second door to enter the theater. The 2nd door is right where the first step is to go up to the second row of seating... The first step will go all the way to the other side of the row. The speaker wire has been plumbed to the subs already too. On Monday we plan to finish off the rear platform, including plumb for electrical outlets, and run the ac wires up the rear wall for the lighting soffits. Once the walls are fully framed we will be installing the ceiling clips, the wall isolator clips, and then it is OSB, and drywall time.

Ron

My Home Theater
Yamaha CX-A5100, (3) JBL 2360A/EV DHA-1s, (3) 1/4 Pie bass bins, (2 pr) JBL 8340As, (2 pr) JBL 8320s, PS3, XBox One, (2) Intel NUCs, Redmere HDMI cables, Monster Signature HTPS7000, (2) Furman Power Conditioners, (2) DTS-10 subs, Panasonic AE8000, SeymourAV 180 (195" diag) scope screen, Darbee Darcet, Panamorph UH-480 lens, (2) Crest Audio 2208, Yamaha XM-4080 & P7000s, (2) MiniDSP DDRC-88M, Oppo UDP-203

post #164 of 795 Old 03-08-14, 03:57 AM
HTS Senior Moderator

Papi

SO where will the exits be on the DTS-10's in the platform?

"Music is the space between the notes"
[T]o talk well and eloquently is a very great art, but that an equally great one is to know the right moment to stop.
post #165 of 795 Old 03-08-14, 04:01 AM Thread Starter

Ron

My System

Quote:
chrapladm wrote: View Post
SO where will the exits be on the DTS-10's in the platform?
They are exiting upwards in the back corners of the platform... About 2' from each of the corners.
I wish that when they were built they would have been built with the exit on the end instead though, as then we could have had it exit out the front of the platform.

Ron

My Home Theater

post #166 of 795 Old 03-08-14, 08:21 AM
Senior Shackster

Ron, sounds like your making some progress. Is there any way you can test the subs and run a frequency sweep in the position, and flip them and test again. When I say flip them I mean so that the 2 openings are side by side, instead of far apart. I thought I may have read somewhere were this is best. But I could be wrong, maybe try to do a little research.

post #167 of 795 Old 03-08-14, 11:31 AM Thread Starter

Ron

My System

Quote:
duder1982 wrote: View Post
Ron, sounds like your making some progress. Is there any way you can test the subs and run a frequency sweep in the position, and flip them and test again. When I say flip them I mean so that the 2 openings are side by side, instead of far apart. I thought I may have read somewhere were this is best. But I could be wrong, maybe try to do a little research.
It would be pretty hard to lift them straight out and flip them right now. The reason I went this route is... I am thinking if I need more output I will go for either another pair or a pair ot the Spuds to put in the corners behind the screen. From what I have read one in each corner would be the best. I hope that they will work out well this way.

The one thing that still has me undecided is whether I should have the short hallway or not... Aesthically I think that no hallway is better, but it might be easier to isolate the sound with the short hallway.

Any comments

Ron

My Home Theater

post #168 of 795 Old 03-08-14, 03:40 PM Thread Starter

Ron

My System

Here is a side shot drawing of the proposed layout...

Here is a drawing of from the back wall to the front...

Here is an overhead shot...

What I am thinking of doing is have a 1'x1' soffit all around the room and have the bottom part of it angle up to the ceiling at 45 degrees... On the front wall I think this might even help with reflections from the projector. I am anticipating having diffusers behind the 2nd row of seating. I am also thinking of putting some bass traps in all 4 corners angled across the corner coming out about 2' across... These would go floor to ceiling except in the front where the height channels are. I am also thinking that all of the soffits except for the HVAC ones could be filled with sound dampening materials and then covered in a dark (maybe black) acoustic material. I really like the look of random depth fabric box walls that I saw someone else use and would like to do all the walls with those. As far as the ceiling I could also use floating absorption panels.

The reason for the projector soffit is two fold... One is to hide the wires, and the other is in case I ever want to change the projector I can then move it forward or backward with out a complete mess in the ceiling.

How does that sound? Suggestions? Comments?

Ron

My Home Theater

post #169 of 795 Old 03-09-14, 04:52 PM Thread Starter

Ron

My System

We are making the sub floor out of 2x4s doubled up on their sides (3" high)... We are putting fiberglass insulation under the flooring that is R19, is that ok (as it will be smashed where the cross beams are?

Ron

My Home Theater

post #170 of 795 Old 03-09-14, 07:26 PM Thread Starter

Ron

My System

Today we got about 80% of the sub floor framed and the OSB cut for it. Monday we hope to finish the sub floor and get the short wall completed. I am waiting on some 12 gauge Speakon cable for the Danleys... Which hopefully will be in Monday or Tuesday. If it arrives on Monday we might have the 2nd row platform completely framed and covered with OSB. Right now we have around 7' between the ceiling and the 2nd row platform. The 12" soffit will bring it to 6' but it will only be for 1' from the wall and the recliners or couches will be 2' from the wall.

I hope to get some pics up Monday night. The OSB is just held down now with 4 screws per board until we get the wiring all run, and the fiberglass insulation in. If everything goes well this week we might be doing the OSB layer on the ceiling, and walls (we are doing a layer of OSB on the ceiling, and new walls as we will be attaching the soffits to them).

Ron

My Home Theater