Ellis Family Retirement HT: Go big or go home - Page 19 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

17Likes

post #181 of 793 Old 03-11-14, 09:03 PM Thread Starter

Ron

My System
Question Re: My retirement Home Theater

We are running our speaker wires and electrical wire in the morning...

Questions:
1. Where should I put the speakers on the back wall? The back platform is about 4' off center due to the hallway... Should I put them in the corners close to the ceiling? The speakers will be the Klipsch Heresy HIPs, and there will be a 1' soffit along the ceiling (which you can see part of in the picture... It is the open area along the right hand side of the wall).

2. The side channels will be the Klipsch KP 3002 pro speakers and will be put almost lined up with the front row seating... Should the speakers be up close to the ceiling or on the floor? They are close to 3' tall. They will be mounted in a column to conceal them.

3. We are looking at 3 outlet boxes for the first row, and 3 for the second row... Will that be enough? Should I run a cat 5 cable to each chair for lan access (I am not happy with our wireless)?

4. For lighting we are looking at LED dimmable spotlights, LED rope lighting along the soffits, LED rope lighting along the steps, LED rope lighting along the ceiling in the hallway, and maybe fiber optic Stars. I figure 4 wall switches max, is that enough?

5. Anything I am forgetting? Suggestions?

tia,
Ron

Ron

My Home Theater
Yamaha CX-A5100, (3) JBL 2360A/EV DHA-1s, (3) 1/4 Pie bass bins, (2 pr) JBL 8340As, (2 pr) JBL 8320s, PS3, XBox One, (2) Intel NUCs, Redmere HDMI cables, Monster Signature HTPS7000, (2) Furman Power Conditioners, (2) DTS-10 subs, Panasonic AE8000, SeymourAV 180 (195" diag) scope screen, Darbee Darcet, Panamorph UH-480 lens, (2) Crest Audio 2208, Yamaha XM-4080 & P7000s, (2) MiniDSP DDRC-88M, Oppo UDP-203

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 793 Old 03-12-14, 09:59 PM Thread Starter

Ron

My System
Re: My retirement Home Theater

Today we spent a good portion removing a reverse osmosis water filtration which was on the wall in the garage... I don't know what they were thinking when they installed it the way they did but we finally got it removed. We also ran our electrical wires in the floor to the 4 gang wall switch and installed 1 Insteon light switch. We received our Sorbathane pads that we will be putting beneath the Danley DTS-10 subs to help isolate them from the 2nd row seating platform. Thursday we plan on getting the sew Speakon wires run for the subs, finish off the insulation in the floor and button up all of the flooring. If we have time we will get the new inner wall built that will be covering the old garage door. Today I also started caulking the garage door to seal it off and hopefully stop any vibrations from happening.

Should the Klipsch KP3002 (floor standing speakers) be installed on the ground as side surround speakers or be close to the ceiling? The consensus so far has been to install the Heresy HIPs behind the 2nd row seats about 2-3' apart centered on the front screen not the 2nd row seating area. Hopefully by this weekend we will have all the OSB up and waiting for the Green Glue.

Ron

My Home Theater
Yamaha CX-A5100, (3) JBL 2360A/EV DHA-1s, (3) 1/4 Pie bass bins, (2 pr) JBL 8340As, (2 pr) JBL 8320s, PS3, XBox One, (2) Intel NUCs, Redmere HDMI cables, Monster Signature HTPS7000, (2) Furman Power Conditioners, (2) DTS-10 subs, Panasonic AE8000, SeymourAV 180 (195" diag) scope screen, Darbee Darcet, Panamorph UH-480 lens, (2) Crest Audio 2208, Yamaha XM-4080 & P7000s, (2) MiniDSP DDRC-88M, Oppo UDP-203

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
post #183 of 793 Old 03-12-14, 10:38 PM
Senior Shackster

Ron, I may have missed it but did you decide if you were going to put the KP3002 right on the side of the first row.

post #184 of 793 Old 03-12-14, 10:44 PM Thread Starter

Ron

My System

Quote:
duder1982 wrote: View Post
Ron, I may have missed it but did you decide if you were going to put the KP3002 right on the side of the first row.
Yeah it looks like that will be the best spot for it. Now the question is... Should it be at ground level or up by the ceiling? I am thinking it might be better to mount them up by the ceiling since they will be so close to the front row seats... We will be building a column around to conceal them. The Heresy HIPs will be the surround backs mainly because they are not as deep as the 3002s (which leave a little more room). The rear wall will most likely be diffusers floor to ceiling, and around the HIPs. I am thinking some angled bass traps in the corners might be nice too, or maybe make some corner diffusers. I have the plans for making the diffusers but not for corner ones.

I can't wait to get the room all drywalled so we can start installing all the equipment, and tuning the room.

I am using this as a reference for speaker layout... http://www.thx.com/consumer/home-ent...peaker-set-up/

Except my subs will be in the rear for now... If I add more I will put them behind the front wides.

Ron

My Home Theater

post #185 of 793 Old 03-12-14, 10:56 PM Thread Starter

Ron

My System

I am wondering if I should center the DTS sub under the 2nd row seats and put the other one behind the center channel... What do you think? Thursday it dill be final.

Ron

My Home Theater

post #186 of 793 Old 03-12-14, 11:04 PM
Senior Shackster

I was thinking something like this. But since your have the raised second row, yes move them up closer to the ceiling. This puts the horn about 4' off of the ground but maybe go another 4' if you can. They say its good to have one sub centered in the rear and one centered in the front.
Attached Thumbnails
Ellis Family Retirement HT: Go big or go home-klipsch-kp-3002-column-resized.png  

post #187 of 793 Old 03-12-14, 11:10 PM Thread Starter

Ron

My System

Quote:
duder1982 wrote: View Post
I was thinking something like this. But since your have the raised second row, yes move them up closer to the ceiling. This puts the horn about 4' off of the ground but maybe go another 4' if you can. They say its good to have one sub centered in the rear and one centered in the front.
I wonder if it will make a difference if the sub in the rear is on its side and the one in the front is on its end. Also I wonder if the opening of the one under the floor should have the opening close to the wall or close to the front of the platform? If it close to the front of the platform the front seats will hear and feel it more I think, but if it is at the rear it will be loaded off of the rear wall I think.

This might also mean I will only need 2 subs instead of 4.

Would it be about right to raise the 3002 all the way to the soffits... They will be a 12" drop from the ceiling?

Ron

My Home Theater

post #188 of 793 Old 03-13-14, 01:08 PM Thread Starter

Ron

My System

I just calculated out the GG cost... I will need 6 gallons to do the ceiling and the walls. It will be close to $2k for the green glue. That is going to be more than I can budget. I have double studded walls, and clips for decoupling the walls from the ceiling and also channels for the ceiling. If I forgo the GG, how much would I lose in STC? Could I just add another layer of Drywall, and make some of it up? I have seen where the STC of a double wall with 2 layers is around 60 STC which I think should be enough.

What do you think? Is everyone doing the GG? Has anyone not used GG and not been happy with their room?

Ron

My Home Theater

post #189 of 793 Old 03-13-14, 03:14 PM
Senior Shackster

Quote:
ellisr63 wrote: View Post
I wonder if it will make a difference if the sub in the rear is on its side and the one in the front is on its end. Also I wonder if the opening of the one under the floor should have the opening close to the wall or close to the front of the platform? If it close to the front of the platform the front seats will hear and feel it more I think, but if it is at the rear it will be loaded off of the rear wall I think.

This might also mean I will only need 2 subs instead of 4.

Would it be about right to raise the 3002 all the way to the soffits... They will be a 12" drop from the ceiling?
I don't think it will matter too much, I don't think you are going to gain a whole lot of db increase with more subs. I just think it helps smooth things out. You can start with 2 wire for 4 and see how it goes.

Wish I could answer the gg question, but haven't got to that stage yet. But I am only doing the ceiling, I did read were someone just double up drywall and added insulation and that helped a bit. I am doing 2 layers of 5/8 with gg on the ceiling, 3 out of 4 of my walls are brick. The 4th is the stair case which I added mass, and the other half shares the wall with the utility room.

post #190 of 793 Old 03-13-14, 04:24 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

Bryan Pape

Send a message via AIM to bpape Send a message via Skype™ to bpape

Quote:
ellisr63 wrote: View Post
I just calculated out the GG cost... I will need 6 gallons to do the ceiling and the walls. It will be close to $2k for the green glue. That is going to be more than I can budget. I have double studded walls, and clips for decoupling the walls from the ceiling and also channels for the ceiling. If I forgo the GG, how much would I lose in STC? Could I just add another layer of Drywall, and make some of it up? I have seen where the STC of a double wall with 2 layers is around 60 STC which I think should be enough.

What do you think? Is everyone doing the GG? Has anyone not used GG and not been happy with their room?
???? A five gallon pail is < $300.

I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

Bryan Pape
Lead Acoustician