Ellis Family Retirement HT: Go big or go home - Page 21 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

43Likes

post #201 of 856 Old 03-19-14, 12:14 PM
Senior Shackster

Re: My retirement Home Theater

Yes adding another hinge or once you get the door hung. Remove 2 screws from the hinge on the jamb side and install longer beefier screws. That way the screws will go into the stud the jamb is mounted to. I myself will be considering building my own door and jamb so I can customize it a little more.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #202 of 856 Old 03-19-14, 04:18 PM Thread Starter

Ron

My System

Quote:
bpape wrote: View Post
I would think it would be OK. If more support is needed, adding another hinge would be the best way to go.

Quote:
duder1982 wrote: View Post
Yes adding another hinge or once you get the door hung. Remove 2 screws from the hinge on the jamb side and install longer beefier screws. That way the screws will go into the stud the jamb is mounted to. I myself will be considering building my own door and jamb so I can customize it a little more.

My friend and I are planning on adding wood to the outer side (side facing away from the HT) skin of the door and adding acoustic treatment to the other side of the door (HT hallway side) for one of the doors. The other door will get acoustic treatment to both sides of the door. Does this sound like it will be ok?

Ron

My Home Theater
BenQ MH741 Projector, Yamaha CX-A5100, (2 pr) JBL 8340As, (2 pr) JBL 8320s, PS3, XBox One, (1) Asus Mini, Redmere HDMI cables, Monster Signature HTPS7000, (2) Furman Power Conditioners, (2) DTS-10 subs, SeymourAV 180 (195" diag) scope screen, Darbee Darcet,Yamaha P7000s, Oppo UDP-203

DIY 14 channel IcePower amp coming soon.
post #203 of 856 Old 03-20-14, 12:08 AM Thread Starter

Ron

My System

I have been looking at door seals... One thing I noticed is they are only good for 40-50 STC. If you are building your room for a 60 STC are you wasting your money since the doors will be lower?

Ron

My Home Theater
BenQ MH741 Projector, Yamaha CX-A5100, (2 pr) JBL 8340As, (2 pr) JBL 8320s, PS3, XBox One, (1) Asus Mini, Redmere HDMI cables, Monster Signature HTPS7000, (2) Furman Power Conditioners, (2) DTS-10 subs, SeymourAV 180 (195" diag) scope screen, Darbee Darcet,Yamaha P7000s, Oppo UDP-203

post #204 of 856 Old 03-20-14, 06:06 AM
Senior Shackster

Quote:
ellisr63 wrote: View Post

My friend and I are planning on adding wood to the outer side (side facing away from the HT) skin of the door and adding acoustic treatment to the other side of the door (HT hallway side) for one of the doors. The other door will get acoustic treatment to both sides of the door. Does this sound like it will be ok?
Thats some what, what my idea was so I hope so.

post #205 of 856 Old 03-20-14, 08:18 AM
HTS Moderator

Joe

My System

Quote:
I have been looking at door seals... One thing I noticed is they are only good for 40-50 STC. If you are building your room for a 60 STC are you wasting your money since the doors will be lower?
Ron,

I added the automatic door jambs to my entry door. I think besides increasing the STC rating of the door, the added benefit was that it made the room more pressurized which really helped the LFE.

post #206 of 856 Old 03-20-14, 11:59 AM Thread Starter

Ron

My System

Thanks for the responses.

I think we will add MDF to the door skin on the theater side of the outer door... I am not sure if we should do it on the other side of the door as it is 5' from a 7400 gallon indoor pond, and I am worried about MDF and moisture. I am also thinking of making acoustic panels to match the fabric covered room panels for the doors.

Ron

My Home Theater

post #207 of 856 Old 03-21-14, 01:47 PM
Senior Shackster

Quote:
I need 5-6 pails... My wife is really getting on me for spending all the money on the HT, and I need to get it done ASAP before she really gets mad at me.
5-6 pails is an awful lot... it should still only be $1200 for 6 pails though unless the price has gone up, definitely not $2k if you're buying from the soundproofing company.

You could consider only doing double drywall on the interior side of the theater walls instead of both sides, or using only a tube and a half or one tube of green glue on each panel, or use two tubes per panel on the ceiling and only one tube per panel on the walls. Some green glue is better than no green glue at all. Are you still planning to do a layer of OSB plus two layers of drywall on the walls? That's really pretty overkill. Two layers of drywall or one layer of OSB + one layer of drywall will be plenty.

post #208 of 856 Old 03-21-14, 01:49 PM Thread Starter

Ron

My System

I am going to look at what doors my friend has for me in the morning... I think I might go with steel doors if they are massive enough, and then add the MDF to them. I am debating on buying the seals for the top, and sides of the doors too or just making some out of wood. The reason for this is $$$. I was browsing online and to do the seals all around the door it was like $500 per door.

Any suggestions or comments?

Ron

My Home Theater

post #209 of 856 Old 03-21-14, 01:55 PM Thread Starter

Ron

My System

Quote:
MrAngles wrote: View Post
5-6 pails is an awful lot... it should still only be $1200 for 6 pails though unless the price has gone up, definitely not $2k if you're buying from the soundproofing company.

You could consider only doing double drywall on the interior side of the theater walls instead of both sides, or using only a tube and a half or one tube of green glue on each panel, or use two tubes per panel on the ceiling and only one tube per panel on the walls. Some green glue is better than no green glue at all. Are you still planning to do a layer of OSB plus two layers of drywall on the walls? That's really pretty overkill. Two layers of drywall or one layer of OSB + one layer of drywall will be plenty.
4 pails is $1229 shipped. So 6 pails would be in the $1800 range from the Soundproofing Company. I am out of cash at the moment so we are doing what we can. If I end up getting the cash for it before we make it to the second layer I will go the GG route still. I fully anticipate it being a month or so before we get to that stage as we will only be working a day or 2 per week on it.

We are only doing OSB, GG, Drywall on one side of the walls already. The estimate was for doing 2 tubes per sheet... I know that some people do 1 tube and some do 3 tubes per sheet.

Ron

My Home Theater

post #210 of 856 Old 03-21-14, 11:11 PM Thread Starter

Ron

My System

I picked up another matching power recliner for the front row which brings the front row to 3. We are thinking of making the front row curved and then also looking for a modular couch for the second row that would also be curved.

We are still trying to work out the HVAC cold air intake... We are thinking of getting some 8" flex to run in a soffit behind the screen and dump it into the main part of the house where the cold air intake is for the rest of the house. What we are thinking is to zig zag about 50' of the flex pipe in the soffit. Does that sound like it will work?

Ron

My Home Theater