Ellis Family Retirement HT: Go big or go home - Page 23 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

43Likes

post #221 of 855 Old 03-29-14, 09:32 PM
HTS Moderator

Joe

My System
Re: My retirement Home Theater

Quote:
ellisr63 wrote: View Post
It will be visible as it is the joint for the hallway wall connecting to the outer door wall. So, when we put the OSB up... We should try and close the gap to as little as possible and then caulk it?
That would be the approach I would take - and did as a matter of fact!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #222 of 855 Old 03-31-14, 12:13 AM Thread Starter

Ron

My System

Quote:
ALMFamily wrote: View Post
That would be the approach I would take - and did as a matter of fact!
Thanks, that sounds like the way we will be doing it.

Today we got the main entrance door in... It took quite a while to get done as the old one was 32" wide and the new one is 36" wide, and our house did not want to cooperate. Hopefully next week we will get the hallway ready for the drywall, and soffits.

Ron

My Home Theater
BenQ MH741 Projector, Yamaha CX-A5100, (2 pr) JBL 8340As, (2 pr) JBL 8320s, PS3, XBox One, (1) Asus Mini, Redmere HDMI cables, Monster Signature HTPS7000, (2) Furman Power Conditioners, (2) DTS-10 subs, SeymourAV 180 (195" diag) scope screen, Darbee Darcet,Yamaha P7000s, Oppo UDP-203

DIY 14 channel IcePower amp coming soon.
post #223 of 855 Old 04-12-14, 05:21 PM Thread Starter

Ron

My System

I have a little dilemma. Whoever built the house has a bunch of cat 5 wires that enter the garage (some are being used and some are not, but will be used in the future)... They enter the garage at the ceiling and from the floor, and there is not enough cable to reach where I was planning on installing the 26 port switch.

Possible solutions...
1. Terminate, and extend all the wires, and put the switch where I had planned to (by the audio rack)
2. Terminate the wires, and install a patch panel, and run new wires to the same spot as in #1.
3. Terminate the wires, and install a patch panel, run short wires, and install the switch in the same location (it would be where the side channel goes inside of a wall column... If I go this way I also need to run AC to the spot ASAP).

Any suggestions? I have a patch panel and the connectors plus the cat5 cable. I have thought about running new wires but the wiring is in the walls of the house already.

tia,
Ron

Ron

My Home Theater
BenQ MH741 Projector, Yamaha CX-A5100, (2 pr) JBL 8340As, (2 pr) JBL 8320s, PS3, XBox One, (1) Asus Mini, Redmere HDMI cables, Monster Signature HTPS7000, (2) Furman Power Conditioners, (2) DTS-10 subs, SeymourAV 180 (195" diag) scope screen, Darbee Darcet,Yamaha P7000s, Oppo UDP-203

post #224 of 855 Old 04-12-14, 08:21 PM
HTS Moderator

Joe

My System

Quote:
I have a little dilemma. Whoever built the house has a bunch of cat 5 wires that enter the garage (some are being used and some are not, but will be used in the future)... They enter the garage at the ceiling and from the floor, and there is not enough cable to reach where I was planning on installing the 26 port switch.

Possible solutions...
1. Terminate, and extend all the wires, and put the switch where I had planned to (by the audio rack)
2. Terminate the wires, and install a patch panel, and run new wires to the same spot as in #1.
3. Terminate the wires, and install a patch panel, run short wires, and install the switch in the same location (it would be where the side channel goes inside of a wall column... If I go this way I also need to run AC to the spot ASAP).

Any suggestions? I have a patch panel and the connectors plus the cat5 cable. I have thought about running new wires but the wiring is in the walls of the house already.

tia,
Ron
Ron,

I would just go with option 2 - I did something similar where I put my modem and router in my AV closet along with a switch. I ran the wires to a patch panel and then connected all my AV equipment there - have not had any problems at all with signal loss and it looks much cleaner.

post #225 of 855 Old 04-12-14, 09:06 PM Thread Starter

Ron

My System

Quote:
Ron,

I would just go with option 2 - I did something similar where I put my modem and router in my AV closet along with a switch. I ran the wires to a patch panel and then connected all my AV equipment there - have not had any problems at all with signal loss and it looks much cleaner.
I just ordered a 48 port patch panel... I should have it some time next week. I only have a 26 port switch but I figured better safe than sorry, plus I might be able to use some of the ports for an ELK M1 panel... ie alarm switches.

Ron

My Home Theater

post #226 of 855 Old 04-13-14, 09:20 AM
HTS Moderator

Joe

My System

Quote:
I just ordered a 48 port patch panel... I should have it some time next week. I only have a 26 port switch but I figured better safe than sorry, plus I might be able to use some of the ports for an ELK M1 panel... ie alarm switches.
I used patch panel for speaker, sub, and cable connections too - really cleaned up a mess of wires being able to terminate it all inside a cabinet.

post #227 of 855 Old 04-13-14, 09:47 AM Thread Starter

Ron

My System

Quote:
I used patch panel for speaker, sub, and cable connections too - really cleaned up a mess of wires being able to terminate it all inside a cabinet.
The one I ordered has punches... I have another blank panel that uses keystone jacks... I think I will use that one in the rack.

Ron

My Home Theater

post #228 of 855 Old 04-13-14, 08:25 PM Thread Starter

Ron

My System

Today we picked up the rest of the speakers, hooked up some exterior lights, and completed the exterior door (mostly done) for the HT...

Our door started life as a solid core door and now has 2x6 (reclaimed from our old deck) added to the outside of the door. We went with the rustic look as our Pond area is rustic also. I picked up a 1950s era door pull and we adapted that to the door. We will be using one pull for the exterior door and one for the interior door (for when you exit the HT. The door pull is Lucite and aluminum... It came in a old aluminum finish and I painted it flat black to blend with the door a bit nicer. We still have to finish sealing the door off but we are waiting until we get the pond flooring completed too.

Ron

My Home Theater

post #229 of 855 Old 04-13-14, 09:51 PM
Senior Shackster

Thats a good looking door, even though it is rustic, it doesn't look sloppy rustic. Good job.

post #230 of 855 Old 04-13-14, 10:07 PM Thread Starter

Ron

My System

Quote:
duder1982 wrote: View Post
Thats a good looking door, even though it is rustic, it doesn't look sloppy rustic. Good job.
Thanks! We are trying to keep it looking nice but at the same time old, and reuse some of our old deck wood. The inside of the theater will not be rustic at all though. All the walls will be fabric covered and have some Japanese Kimonos (or Kimono silk material) on the walls. We have the LED lighting for the ceiling, and the stairs already too. I am just waiting on getting the $$$ to get some more OSB and then Green Glue and drywall.
Tomorrow night we plan on mapping out the speakers. We might have to move the screen 2 feet closer to give us room for our speakers. If we do this it will bring the front row up to about 11' from the screen.

Ron

My Home Theater