Ellis Family Retirement HT: Go big or go home - Page 25 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

17Likes

post #241 of 793 Old 05-04-14, 09:44 PM Thread Starter

Ron

My System
Re: My retirement Home Theater

We used the grey ones today... They molded pretty good, and worked fine in our opinion. A nice plus was no sticky hands, and the plastic came off much easier then the Hilti Fire rated. I would definitely recommend them to anyone who doesn't need the fire rated version. The only downside is they don't have the mass of the fire rated ones.

Ron

My Home Theater
Yamaha CX-A5100, (3) JBL 2360A/EV DHA-1s, (3) 1/4 Pie bass bins, (2 pr) JBL 8340As, (2 pr) JBL 8320s, PS3, XBox One, (2) Intel NUCs, Redmere HDMI cables, Monster Signature HTPS7000, (2) Furman Power Conditioners, (2) DTS-10 subs, Panasonic AE8000, SeymourAV 180 (195" diag) scope screen, Darbee Darcet, Panamorph UH-480 lens, (2) Crest Audio 2208, Yamaha XM-4080 & P7000s, (2) MiniDSP DDRC-88M, Oppo UDP-203

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 793 Old 05-04-14, 10:14 PM Thread Starter

Ron

My System

We are planning on running the following lighting, and electrical options, and would like some feedback...

1: LED rope lighting along the floor around the room to illuminate the floor where you walk. The lighting would be hidden and you would only see the glow (hopefully).

2: Our soffits will be 2-3' wide and will house LED Cree style lights around the perimeter of the room with a 6" or so ledge for LED rope lighting. The center of the room ceiling might have the Glow starfield with black lights in the soffits in addition to the LED rope lights.

3: In the short entranceway hallway we are thinking of using 2 32" flat panels for a "Now Playing", and a Coming Soon" display. The hallway will also have LED rope lighting along the floor to illuminate the short entrance to the 2nd door. I am hoping that we can flush mount them with the Acoustic treatments on the walls.

4: A monitor would be mounted outside of the theater displaying the same movie that is actually playing in the Theater... This would be incase they need to talk to someone or whatever other reason.

5: There are 4 light switches right after you enter the HT for lighting control, along with an Insteon wall outlet.

6. LED lighting in the room behind the AT screen to light up the speakers when the theater is powered up but before the projector is powered up (sort of a show off of the Speakers).

Questions?

1: What would be the best way to utilize the light switches(they are all Insteon and can be automated also)? I was thinking of this: One light switch for the LED lights behind the screen. One light switch for the LED Cree lights. Another one for the LED rope lights in the soffit, and the last light switch for the LED rope lights along the floor. What about the black lights... Should they be on the same switch as the LED rope lighting in the soffits?

2. Each of the doors will have a Insteon switch that can turn on the LED lights when the door is opened (I am thinking I can get them to work on a timer there when the first door is open they stay on for 5 minutes... Now there are w switches so the timer would actually go a little longer because the 2nd door would also have a 5 minute timer on it (this is os it would work in either direction).

3. there will be the 2 FPs in the entrance way which can be controlled via the Insteon wall outlets, and i am thinking that they would be turned on when the system is powered up.

4.The outside Monitor would also be powered by an Insteon outlet, and it would also go active when the system is powered up.

5. Will the LED rope lighting be a distraction if it on during the movie? Should we have 2 circuits for the lighting... One in front of the first row and another for every where behind the first row?

6. Will the soffit lighting be a distraction?

7. Will the Black Lights be a distraction?

8. I can use Insteon outlets for the Black lights if desired too, or should they be tied into one of the other light switches?

Any problems you can see with any of the above or comments about it? Suggestions?

We are trying to get the electrical scenario done this week so we can get the first layer of OSB up in the next 2 weeks.

tia,
Ron

Ron

My Home Theater
Yamaha CX-A5100, (3) JBL 2360A/EV DHA-1s, (3) 1/4 Pie bass bins, (2 pr) JBL 8340As, (2 pr) JBL 8320s, PS3, XBox One, (2) Intel NUCs, Redmere HDMI cables, Monster Signature HTPS7000, (2) Furman Power Conditioners, (2) DTS-10 subs, Panasonic AE8000, SeymourAV 180 (195" diag) scope screen, Darbee Darcet, Panamorph UH-480 lens, (2) Crest Audio 2208, Yamaha XM-4080 & P7000s, (2) MiniDSP DDRC-88M, Oppo UDP-203

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
post #243 of 793 Old 05-05-14, 10:26 PM Thread Starter

Ron

My System

Anybody?

Ron

My Home Theater

post #244 of 793 Old 05-05-14, 11:13 PM
Senior Shackster

Sorry buddy, some how I managed to unsubscribe to this thread. I will have to take a min. to read your questions, but will get back to you.

post #245 of 793 Old 05-06-14, 01:31 PM
Senior Shackster

Let me start with this,

If you want a total theater experience, in my opinion any lights on during the movie would be a distraction.

Now in my situation, where I have a bar in the back of my room. I will have the 3 drop light over the bar on a separate dimable switch. So if we are having people over where for instance there will be some mingling, then I can dim those down where they can converse eat, drink, etc.. where lighting wouldn't be a issue. I will have sconces instead of rope led, so those them selves will be on a dimable switch as well. Then dividing the rest of the room. I will only have 4 switches 4 zones.

I would think you would want your leds rope lights on the same circuit. The rest is kind of tuff hopefully this gives you something to work off of.

post #246 of 793 Old 05-06-14, 03:44 PM Thread Starter

Ron

My System

Quote:
duder1982 wrote: View Post
Let me start with this,

If you want a total theater experience, in my opinion any lights on during the movie would be a distraction.

Now in my situation, where I have a bar in the back of my room. I will have the 3 drop light over the bar on a separate dimmable switch. So if we are having people over where for instance there will be some mingling, then I can dim those down where they can converse eat, drink, etc.. where lighting wouldn't be a issue. I will have sconces instead of rope led, so those them selves will be on a dimmable switch as well. Then dividing the rest of the room. I will only have 4 switches 4 zones.

I would think you would want your leds rope lights on the same circuit. The rest is kind of tuff hopefully this gives you something to work off of.
Well I guess you answered my questions pretty well... I think if I make one zone of rope lighting for the floor area behind the front row, and the hallway on one circuit. Then I can make 3 circuits for the ceiling (spots, rope lights, and black lights), and that should settle it.

Ron

My Home Theater

post #247 of 793 Old 05-06-14, 03:53 PM Thread Starter

Ron

My System

Next question:

I need to run 2 HVAC ducts for the room plus a return duct... I am looking at 6" lines for each of the ducts coming off of a 8" duct using a 6 6 8 "Y" (for the 2 ducts), and then a 8" 50' long for the return line. The return line will be zig zagged back and forth behind the screen in the ceiling.

If I run the HVAC lines in a soffit...
1. Can they be run in an open soffit (one that is 2x4 construction stuffed with insulation with fabric covering it)? If I do it this way it will allow for access if needed for the dampers.

2. Will it be noisey with an open soffit design?

3. Can the return line be in an open soffit design too or do I need to lower the whole ceiling behind the AT screen to enclose it?

We are hoping to get this part done this weekend, along with getting the clips and hat channel up.

Ron

My Home Theater

post #248 of 793 Old 05-06-14, 07:53 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

Papi

Black lights?

Where are those going to be?

I am not a fan of Black lights in general unless going to a dance club. I think your lights for floor lighting will be nice as long as they can be turn down and only shine on the floor. And the sofits would be nice if they only shine on the ceiling and can be turned off when the movie has started.

I have seen open sofit designs before where the sides came off. They were held in with strong velcro and I never even noticed they were removable until the lights were on. They were quite stealthy. So I am sure you can have an open sofit design and still be quiet. Where is Ted, I figured he could answer this and give you some numbers to go by?

"Music is the space between the notes"
[T]o talk well and eloquently is a very great art, but that an equally great one is to know the right moment to stop.
post #249 of 793 Old 05-06-14, 09:13 PM Thread Starter

Ron

My System

Quote:
chrapladm wrote: View Post
Black lights?

Where are those going to be?

I am not a fan of Black lights in general unless going to a dance club. I think your lights for floor lighting will be nice as long as they can be turn down and only shine on the floor. And the sofits would be nice if they only shine on the ceiling and can be turned off when the movie has started.

I have seen open sofit designs before where the sides came off. They were held in with strong velcro and I never even noticed they were removable until the lights were on. They were quite stealthy. So I am sure you can have an open sofit design and still be quiet. Where is Ted, I figured he could answer this and give you some numbers to go by?
The black lights would be in the soffit edge with the LEDs and would be used for charging the night sky dots like this... There would be a small lip that would hide them from view. The blue LEDs would give a nice ceiling glow as would the black lights. All the rope lighting will be blue LEDs (or maybe RGB that could change).I am hoping to find dimmable LEDs for the soffits and for the floor.

The open soffit design is like you are talking about with velcro or screws to hold the panels in place.

This is similaiar to what I was thinking for the walls and ceiling...

Here is an idea that is close to what I wanted for the floors except I would have it under the fabric side panels hidden from view except for the glow...

Ron

My Home Theater

post #250 of 793 Old 05-07-14, 08:52 AM
HTS Senior Moderator

Papi

WOW......hate you guys.

Those pictures are awesome. I like the lighting in those wen the lights are on. But prefer a very dim light on the floor rail so people can get out if need be. And the ceiling light for me would be distracting during a movie. That being said if the light was very dim I could see how it would be nice. Just my opinion.

Either way if you are shooting for a design like the pictures that should be an amazing result.

"Music is the space between the notes"
[T]o talk well and eloquently is a very great art, but that an equally great one is to know the right moment to stop.