Ellis Family Retirement HT: Go big or go home - Page 27 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

43Likes

post #261 of 856 Old 05-23-14, 05:39 PM Thread Starter

Ron

My System
Question Re: My retirement Home Theater

I have been checking, and so far it seems to be that it won't matter... I was asking because years ago i was told it would slow down the whole network to whatever the slowest device was.

Today was a shopping day... I picked up the rest of the HVAC duct connectors, and another bag of R30 for the ceiling (should be the last bag).

Saturday, I am picking up another pair of Klipsch Heresy HIPs! This could be the last pair I need to complete my setup.

Question... On a room that is 19' wide and the left and right speakers are within 2' of the side walls is it advisable to run width channels?

Question: I have a pair of Klipsch KPT 3002 speakers which are about the same height as the La Scalas... I am debating on this if I forgo width channels, and go 9.2:

1. Hang the 3002 speakers on their sides (the backs are triangular) for height channels
2. HIPs for side surrounds, and rear surrounds

or

1. Hips for height channels, and side channels
2. 3002 for rear surrounds

What do you think is best?

Ron

My Home Theater
BenQ MH741 Projector, Yamaha CX-A5100, (2 pr) JBL 8340As, (2 pr) JBL 8320s, PS3, XBox One, (1) Asus Mini, Redmere HDMI cables, Monster Signature HTPS7000, (2) Furman Power Conditioners, (2) DTS-10 subs, SeymourAV 180 (195" diag) scope screen, Darbee Darcet,Yamaha P7000s, Oppo UDP-203

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

DIY 14 channel IcePower amp coming soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #262 of 856 Old 05-26-14, 11:52 AM Thread Starter

Ron

My System
Re: My retirement Home Theater

Yesterday we got 3/4 of the first layer of drywall completed on the ceiling... Next weekend I have an additional worker coming to help, and we hope to have the 2nd layer of drywall green glued in place. Then it will be time to start building the soffits.

Ron

My Home Theater
BenQ MH741 Projector, Yamaha CX-A5100, (2 pr) JBL 8340As, (2 pr) JBL 8320s, PS3, XBox One, (1) Asus Mini, Redmere HDMI cables, Monster Signature HTPS7000, (2) Furman Power Conditioners, (2) DTS-10 subs, SeymourAV 180 (195" diag) scope screen, Darbee Darcet,Yamaha P7000s, Oppo UDP-203

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

post #263 of 856 Old 05-30-14, 09:59 PM Thread Starter

Ron

My System

Picking up the rest of the drywall saturday. I will also have a new projector for the HT next week... Picked up a Panasonic AE8000 with less than 100 hours on it with an extended warranty that is transferrable. I should be ordering the screen in the next couple of weeks.

Ron

My Home Theater

post #264 of 856 Old 05-31-14, 01:17 PM Thread Starter

Ron

My System
Question Re: My retirement Home Theater

We have our dryer ducting that will be running along the floor in a soffit... Is it sufficient to stuff the soffit with insulation, and double drywall it or should we use 4" insulated HVAC flex ducting?

Ron

My Home Theater

post #265 of 856 Old 05-31-14, 09:32 PM
Senior Shackster

I would stuff the soffit with insulation, and double drywall around it. Other then that is sounds like you are moving along.

You are moving along with this project, I can't wait to get started back up on mine.

post #266 of 856 Old 05-31-14, 09:34 PM
Senior Shackster

Quote:
ellisr63 wrote: View Post
I have been checking, and so far it seems to be that it won't matter... I was asking because years ago i was told it would slow down the whole network to whatever the slowest device was.

Today was a shopping day... I picked up the rest of the HVAC duct connectors, and another bag of R30 for the ceiling (should be the last bag).

Saturday, I am picking up another pair of Klipsch Heresy HIPs! This could be the last pair I need to complete my setup.

Question... On a room that is 19' wide and the left and right speakers are within 2' of the side walls is it advisable to run width channels?

Question: I have a pair of Klipsch KPT 3002 speakers which are about the same height as the La Scalas... I am debating on this if I forgo width channels, and go 9.2:

1. Hang the 3002 speakers on their sides (the backs are triangular) for height channels
2. HIPs for side surrounds, and rear surrounds

or

1. Hips for height channels, and side channels
2. 3002 for rear surrounds

What do you think is best?
I would do 3002 for side surrounds, and hips for height, and rears.

post #267 of 856 Old 05-31-14, 10:50 PM Thread Starter

Ron

My System

Quote:
duder1982 wrote: View Post
I would do 3002 for side surrounds, and hips for height, and rears.
Sounds good. I will try them that way.

Ron

My Home Theater

post #268 of 856 Old 06-05-14, 01:52 PM Thread Starter

Ron

My System

This weekend we will be finishing up on the drywall (in front of the screen), and taping the seams... We are also going to start on the soffits. I am thinking we should mount the HIPS (temp mount), and build the soffits out from there. I am thinking that the speaker mounts should be 2x4s, and then we can make the rest of the soffits 1x3s to keep the weight down.

Does this sound good?

Ron

My Home Theater

post #269 of 856 Old 06-05-14, 05:30 PM
Senior Shackster

If your saying frame off where your going to mount the hips, then finish the rest off with 1x3s. Then yes as long as the the frame for the hips are mounted good.

post #270 of 856 Old 06-05-14, 06:16 PM Thread Starter

Ron

My System

Quote:
duder1982 wrote: View Post
If your saying frame off where your going to mount the hips, then finish the rest off with 1x3s. Then yes as long as the the frame for the hips are mounted good.
Yes... What I am thinking is to make the supports for the HIPs out of 2x4s and attached the frames to the walls and ceiling (hat channel through the drywall). We will make the speaker mounts as strong as possible. Once that is done then make the soffit out of a lighter 1x3 and work my way around the room. The only thing that will be in the soffits will be... Lighting, cables, and insulation. The idea is to have part of the soffit be double drywalled, and then have an area that extends out further that would be covered with cloth to match the cloth covered walls.

I am also assuming they should be aimed toward the listening position, correct?

Ron

My Home Theater