Ellis Family Retirement HT: Go big or go home - Page 28 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

43Likes

post #271 of 855 Old 06-05-14, 06:20 PM
Senior Shackster

Re: My retirement Home Theater

Sounds like that would work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 855 Old 06-05-14, 06:45 PM Thread Starter

Ron

My System

Just ordered my screen material from SeymourAV... I purchased the XD AT material with all the grommets installed. They are currently out of stock but should have it by the end of the month. The frame will be 186.5'' x 81.5'' out of aluminum rectangular tubing with velvet trim. I am trying to see what will work the best for wrapping the frame right now, and if I can find some angle pieces to put inside the mitered corners of the frame. The frame will also have 2 support pieces on the rear of the frame. The screen material will be shadow boxed behind the frame. This will give me a 153" 16x9 screen with somewhere between 17&21fl. I am not sure as the screen is listed as 102/100 gain. Most likely we will only watch a 153" 2.4 screen size for the 2.4 movies, but when I can afford a bigger projector... We will be able to go up to a 195".

Ron

My Home Theater
BenQ MH741 Projector, Yamaha CX-A5100, (2 pr) JBL 8340As, (2 pr) JBL 8320s, PS3, XBox One, (1) Asus Mini, Redmere HDMI cables, Monster Signature HTPS7000, (2) Furman Power Conditioners, (2) DTS-10 subs, SeymourAV 180 (195" diag) scope screen, Darbee Darcet,Yamaha P7000s, Oppo UDP-203

DIY 14 channel IcePower amp coming soon.
post #273 of 855 Old 06-05-14, 08:38 PM
Senior Shackster

Nice, thats a good size screen.

post #274 of 855 Old 06-05-14, 10:27 PM Thread Starter

Ron

My System

Quote:
duder1982 wrote: View Post
Nice, thats a good size screen.
I am tired of buying screens.... My first was a 10 4x3 Draper, my 2nd was a DIY 106" Draper, my current is a 134" Jamestown, and now I will be doing a DIY as my final screen as the wall is only 19' wide and my rack will take up 2' of one side (we are going to try and keep it symmetrical on the screen wall).

Ron

My Home Theater
BenQ MH741 Projector, Yamaha CX-A5100, (2 pr) JBL 8340As, (2 pr) JBL 8320s, PS3, XBox One, (1) Asus Mini, Redmere HDMI cables, Monster Signature HTPS7000, (2) Furman Power Conditioners, (2) DTS-10 subs, SeymourAV 180 (195" diag) scope screen, Darbee Darcet,Yamaha P7000s, Oppo UDP-203

post #275 of 855 Old 06-06-14, 11:00 AM
HTS Moderator
doug

My System
That will be an awesome screen. Have you considered using metal channel for the long pieces of the soffit? They make it very straight
post #276 of 855 Old 06-06-14, 04:16 PM Thread Starter

Ron

My System

Quote:
dougc wrote: View Post
That will be an awesome screen. Have you considered using metal channel for the long pieces of the soffit? They make it very straight
I will look into that, and I think it will also make the soffit lighter.

Ron

My Home Theater

post #277 of 855 Old 06-07-14, 04:37 PM Thread Starter

Ron

My System
Question Re: My retirement Home Theater

Today i have been shopping for materials to make the screen frame, and this is what i have found out...

To have the basic frame made out of 1x3" aluminum welded... It is about $700
To make the basic frame out of 1x3" Extruded T channel Aluminum... It is about $400 Here is the stuff I am looking at... http://www.automation4less.com/store...sp?prod=650001 I saw where someone else did one a few years back on a smaller frame and used 1.5x1.5" and said that if you need more strength you could go 1x2" (savings of about $100 in materials)... Would I really need a 1x3 or should I go with the smaller size?

Pluses of the Extruded aluminum...

1:No need to drill and tap 80 holes for the pegs to hold the o-rings that connect the screen grommets to the frame

2: I can easily use "L" brackets to stand off the screen from a 2x4 frame behind the screen frame... Plus it means I don't have to use as large of a piece of aluminum as it is already supported to prevent sagging.

3: Cost of the aluminum is is 1/2 of the basic welded frame.

4: easy to attach a would frame to as it can be done with t-nuts.

5: Easy to locate the t-nuts in relation to the grommets.

Negatives of extruded aluminum...

1: buying 80 t-nuts, and corner connectors.

Pluses of welded frame:

1: Rock solid construction

2: Drill the holes for the frame anywhere rather than have to line up the screws with the "t" slots.

Negatives of welded frame:

1: Awkward to transport to our home.

2: Have to accurately drill, and tap 80 holes for dowels (or something for the o-rings to attach to).

So it looks like it is the most economical to go the Extruded Aluminum route for ease of construction, time, and price. I am thinking of using standoffs every 3-5 feet... I am thinking this will keep the frame true, and prevent the scree frame from sagging.

Does anyone see any possible problems with this scenario?

Ron

My Home Theater

post #278 of 855 Old 06-10-14, 10:17 PM Thread Starter

Ron

My System

Well, I bit the bullet, and purchased the extruded aluminum for the screen frame. I picked up 6 8' 1x2s. I really wanted to get the top and bottom in a single piece but no one around stocks it that long and the shipping would have been almost $200. I was able to pick up all the t-nuts too. I am now waiting on the braces, and 3 hinges. We will be able to tilt the screen up whenever we need to get behind the screen. Today i also received 2 more of the Topping 25 wpc amps too. If they work out for the bass drivers too... I will buy 3 more pair for the heights, sides surrounds , and the rear surrounds. We also have almost all of the main room walls and ceiling drywalled (waiting for the last bit to be done before taping the seams. I also ordered 100' ,and 16' of dimmable 120v blue LED lighting strips for the stairs, and soffits. We also have 1/2 of the LED spots installed in the soffits already. What I found out was I ordered too many LED spots! I will use a little over half (be nice to have spares plus I am sure we will find other locations for the rest (our closet comes to mind for one ). Our new HVAC will be delivered this Friday too... We will be installing that in a couple of weeks.

I also got lucky on eBay , and won the last JBL 2360a horn that I needed, and the last EV DH1a 6ohm driver I needed.

I am hoping that by the end of the month we will have the ceiling textured, and the whole room painted flat black. The flat black is going to be a temporary thing until I can get all the acoustic panels made up (providing I have the cash). I am hoping I have enough to get the carpet the end of the month. I figure it will cost at least $1k to carpet the 500 sqft room.

Here is a pic of the seating area so far...

Ron

My Home Theater

post #279 of 855 Old 06-11-14, 06:16 AM
Senior Shackster

Looking good Ron, I like the leds in the soffit.

post #280 of 855 Old 06-11-14, 09:01 AM
Elite Shackster

OJ

My System

Me too, and you're better off having too much light (provided you can dim them) than not having enough when you need it. Also... those are some serious horns! Looks like this is going to be a good one.

- OJ -