Ellis Family Retirement HT: Go big or go home - Page 29 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

43Likes

post #281 of 856 Old 06-11-14, 09:37 AM Thread Starter

Ron

My System
Re: My retirement Home Theater

Quote:
ellisr63 wrote: View Post
Well, I bit the bullet, and purchased the extruded aluminum for the screen frame. I picked up 6 8' 1x2s. I really wanted to get the top and bottom in a single piece but no one around stocks it that long and the shipping would have been almost $200. I was able to pick up all the t-nuts too. I am now waiting on the braces, and 3 hinges. We will be able to tilt the screen up whenever we need to get behind the screen. Today i also received 2 more of the Topping 25 wpc amps too. If they work out for the bass drivers too... I will buy 3 more pair for the heights, sides surrounds , and the rear surrounds. We also have almost all of the main room walls and ceiling drywalled (waiting for the last bit to be done before taping the seams. I also ordered 100' ,and 16' of dimmable 120v blue LED lighting strips for the stairs, and soffits. We also have 1/2 of the LED spots installed in the soffits already. What I found out was I ordered too many LED spots! I will use a little over half (be nice to have spares plus I am sure we will find other locations for the rest (our closet comes to mind for one ). Our new HVAC will be delivered this Friday too... We will be installing that in a couple of weeks.

I also got lucky on eBay , and won the last JBL 2360a horn that I needed, and the last EV DH1a 6ohm driver I needed.

I am hoping that by the end of the month we will have the ceiling textured, and the whole room painted flat black. The flat black is going to be a temporary thing until I can get all the acoustic panels made up (providing I have the cash). I am hoping I have enough to get the carpet the end of the month. I figure it will cost at least $1k to carpet the 500 sqft room.

Here is a pic of the seating area so far...
Quote:
duder1982 wrote: View Post
Looking good Ron, I like the leds in the soffit.
Thanks, I tested dimming the LEDs yesterday, and they dimmed nicely. I will have to go and program the Insteon switch to see how low they can go without flickering... When I tested I was not able to get them to flicker.

Ron

My Home Theater
BenQ MH741 Projector, Yamaha CX-A5100, (2 pr) JBL 8340As, (2 pr) JBL 8320s, PS3, XBox One, (1) Asus Mini, Redmere HDMI cables, Monster Signature HTPS7000, (2) Furman Power Conditioners, (2) DTS-10 subs, SeymourAV 180 (195" diag) scope screen, Darbee Darcet,Yamaha P7000s, Oppo UDP-203

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

DIY 14 channel IcePower amp coming soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #282 of 856 Old 06-11-14, 10:19 AM
Senior Shackster

Thumbs up Re: My retirement Home Theater

Quote:
Owen Bartley wrote: View Post
. Also... those are some serious horns! Looks like this is going to be a good one.
Thats what happens when you hang out at the Klipsch forum.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

post #283 of 856 Old 06-11-14, 11:12 AM Thread Starter

Ron

My System

Quote:
duder1982 wrote: View Post
Thats what happens when you hang out at the Klipsch forum.
The horns are bigger than my La Scala bass bins.
I don't think there will be any problem with hitting reference levels with 112db with 1 watt capable horns!

Ron

My Home Theater
BenQ MH741 Projector, Yamaha CX-A5100, (2 pr) JBL 8340As, (2 pr) JBL 8320s, PS3, XBox One, (1) Asus Mini, Redmere HDMI cables, Monster Signature HTPS7000, (2) Furman Power Conditioners, (2) DTS-10 subs, SeymourAV 180 (195" diag) scope screen, Darbee Darcet,Yamaha P7000s, Oppo UDP-203

post #284 of 856 Old 06-16-14, 06:59 PM Thread Starter

Ron

My System

Today we plugged in the blue LED rope lights and tried dimming them... We dimmed them all the way down to 5% with the Insteon Outlet dimmer and they dimmed flawlessly! No flickers at all. Looks like I will need to order some more for the rest of the room. These are the ones I got... http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Ron

My Home Theater

post #285 of 856 Old 06-16-14, 10:15 PM Thread Starter

Ron

My System

Well it looks like I spoke too soon... WHen I go to turn them off they are still lit. Anyone have any ideas on how I can solve this with a 120v LED rope light? I know that the switch is turning off but it is getting enough electricity to keep them on. We have the same problem in my car with the interior LEDs. The only ones that do not stay on dimly when shut off are the ones that have a switch in line (door switch).

Ron

My Home Theater

post #286 of 856 Old 06-17-14, 03:08 PM
Elite Shackster

OJ

My System
I'm no electrician, but that sounds strange. Shouldn't the "off" position on the switch kill all flow through it? Seems like it might be dangerous to have "always on" fixtures. Not to mention a waste of electricity.

- OJ -

post #287 of 856 Old 06-17-14, 03:45 PM Thread Starter

Ron

My System

Quote:
Owen Bartley wrote: View Post
I'm no electrician, but that sounds strange. Shouldn't the "off" position on the switch kill all flow through it? Seems like it might be dangerous to have "always on" fixtures. Not to mention a waste of electricity.
Apparently when you have a switch that has an indicator on it there is always electricity going through it, and since we have LEDs they can use that little bit of electricity to light up. I have found a little plug that is supposed to make the LEDs go completely off when the witch is turned off. I will post up how it works out.

Ron

My Home Theater

post #288 of 856 Old 06-17-14, 10:28 PM Thread Starter

Ron

My System

Well I tried a 20w puck light wired in before the LED, and it didn't solve the problem of being able to turn off the light... I hope I don't need to buy relays to do this as we would need 4 of them since I have 4 circuits.

Ron

My Home Theater

post #289 of 856 Old 06-18-14, 12:01 PM Thread Starter

Ron

My System

We picked our carpet last night at Lowes, and today they measured out the HT room. We went with Eggplant 70 ounce carpet with their premium pad. Hopefully we will have the carpet delivered next Friday so we can close off the garage door, and complete the last wall of the HT.

Ron

My Home Theater

post #290 of 856 Old 06-19-14, 01:28 AM Thread Starter

Ron

My System

Today I got in the rest of the LED rope lights, the rest of the hardware for the frame including 2 hinges, andwe got about 1/2 of the front stage completed. Since we moved the screen forward 2'... I am thinking I can make the area behind into a huge bass trap as it is 19' wide, and 4' deep with a ceiling height of about 7'.

What would be the best way (inexpensive too if possible) to do that? Should I just buy a lot of fiberglass insulation and stack it up? I want this to be a DIY project as cash is almost all gone for the HT room. We will also have the soffit 1' x 2' all around the room stuffed with acoustic absorbers and covered with fabric.

My friend also solved the LED dimmer rope lighting problem of it not turning off... The solution was to turn the light up to full brightness and then turn it off. I guess it won't be too bad as when a movie is over you would most likely turn all the lights up to full brightness anyway for exiting the HT, and then turn them off when you exit. Now I will just have to figure out how to do a macro in CQC to turn the lights on and then off right away.

Ron

My Home Theater