Ellis Family Retirement HT: Go big or go home - Page 3 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

43Likes

post #21 of 855 Old 01-17-14, 01:50 PM Thread Starter

Ron

My System
Re: My retirement Home Theater

Quote:
bpape wrote: View Post
Up to you - 2 layers of something with GG between them. The only reason people use OSB is to always have a mounting point if they want to hang something.
So 2 layers of sheet rock on each side of the wall with green glue should be all I need... No OSB unless I want to hang something, or did you just mean for the hallway side?

Ron

My Home Theater
BenQ MH741 Projector, Yamaha CX-A5100, (2 pr) JBL 8340As, (2 pr) JBL 8320s, PS3, XBox One, (1) Asus Mini, Redmere HDMI cables, Monster Signature HTPS7000, (2) Furman Power Conditioners, (2) DTS-10 subs, SeymourAV 180 (195" diag) scope screen, Darbee Darcet,Yamaha P7000s, Oppo UDP-203

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

DIY 14 channel IcePower amp coming soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 855 Old 01-17-14, 01:57 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

Bryan Pape

Send a message via AIM to bpape Send a message via Skype™ to bpape

Either - up to you. I'm saying 2 is good on the hall side - both being drywall unless you want to hang something. On the inside, 3 layers with 2 layers of GG is a definite improvement in isolation - can make 1 layer OSB if desired.

I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

Bryan Pape
Lead Acoustician

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
post #23 of 855 Old 01-17-14, 02:25 PM Thread Starter

Ron

My System

Normally when you seal electrical boxes it is sealed from the rear correct? Does anyone make a box that you could use and seal it from the front? I ask this because if we make a second wall next to the existing wall I will only have a inch or 2 to access the electrical boxes.

Ron

My Home Theater
BenQ MH741 Projector, Yamaha CX-A5100, (2 pr) JBL 8340As, (2 pr) JBL 8320s, PS3, XBox One, (1) Asus Mini, Redmere HDMI cables, Monster Signature HTPS7000, (2) Furman Power Conditioners, (2) DTS-10 subs, SeymourAV 180 (195" diag) scope screen, Darbee Darcet,Yamaha P7000s, Oppo UDP-203

post #24 of 855 Old 01-17-14, 02:30 PM
Senior Shackster

Ray

My System
Send a message via Yahoo to cavchameleon

Nice - subscribed!! Looking forward to this build. Someday I'm hoping to turn our 2-car garage into our dedicated media room. I'll be nice to see you build and challenges. Please keep us posted during this build and share what works and how to over come obstacles (which come with any challenge like you are undertaking).

Congrats by the way on the equipment and the opportunity to do this!

Ray

Happy Listening!!! Listen with an open mind and heart!!!
post #25 of 855 Old 01-17-14, 02:33 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

Bryan Pape

Build an MDF box that attaches to the studs and the face will be flush with the drywall.

Bryan Pape
Lead Acoustician

post #26 of 855 Old 01-17-14, 02:38 PM Thread Starter

Ron

My System

Quote:
Build an MDF box that attaches to the studs and the face will be flush with the drywall.
Do I make this box to replace the standard outlet box or is it made so the electrical box fits inside it?

Ron

My Home Theater

post #27 of 855 Old 01-17-14, 02:49 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

Bryan Pape

electrical box fits inside. Just 1 hole in the MDF box for the romex, then caulk that

Bryan Pape
Lead Acoustician

post #28 of 855 Old 01-17-14, 03:07 PM Thread Starter

Ron

My System

Quote:
electrical box fits inside. Just 1 hole in the MDF box for the romex, then caulk that
Thanks for the help... i don't want to sound stupid, but I want to make sure I understand everything correctly rather than half understanding and doing it wrong.

Ron

My Home Theater

post #29 of 855 Old 01-17-14, 03:50 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

Bryan Pape

Not a problem at all. I'd rather have you do it right too.

Bryan Pape
Lead Acoustician

post #30 of 855 Old 01-17-14, 05:01 PM
Elite Shackster

Silly Girl!

Quote:
ellisr63 wrote: View Post
I shopped very carefully and I only have $900 invested in 3 La Scalas, $500 for 2 Heresy HIPs, $800 for 2 KP3002, and 2 HPS SR70s (I have 2 more HIPs lined up for another $500). I am currently modding the La Scalas with Faital horns, drivers and Bob Crites crossovers... Cabinets have had the top portion cut off so the horn and crossover will be visible from the top, and sides with the horn to suspended from the top of the bass bin.
If possible, stay within the Heritage line for all channels so that the voicing will be similar. Surround effects, especially front to back pans, will be much smoother if you can. I have 4 K'horns, 1 Belle and 6 Heresys in an 11.2 Audyssey DSX setup and at "full tilt" it is absolutely amazing.

With the speed of the horn speakers, you really need to stay with either IB or sealed subs. I had the dream of doing an IB, but really did not have the space to do it, so I went with sealed Hsu ULS-15 sealed subs. Very tight bass and a good match for the horns.

I have not put in the Crites crossovers; let me know how it comes out. A friend put Crites crossovers in a pair of Cornwalls and really was not that impressed. I probably should put them in at least the fronts.

And congrats on being retired - I did that 2 years ago; ain't it great?

Hug your pet today!