Ellis Family Retirement HT: Go big or go home - Page 33 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

43Likes

post #321 of 856 Old 07-11-14, 10:16 AM Thread Starter

Ron

My System
Re: Ellis Family Retirement HT: Go big or go home

Last night I listened to music till a bit after midnight... Even in an untreated room it sounded great! I was getting a bit worried since the whole front wall was totally unknown territory for me as I had heard none of the equipment before and was just going by what several people had said sounded good. My leap of faith of their opinions turned out to be a good one.

My father in-law is here on vacation, and he used to be an Audiophile (had his own shop in Korea)... He said the other night that was the best sound he has ever heard (I hope he was being honest, and not just trying to make me feel good). I know that I still need to do some fine tuning, and get the REW software up and running to see what we have, plus I need to get the Klipsch crossovers out, and get the MiniDSPs in their place. IMO it is the best sound I have heard in a HT... I have heard better in dedicated 2 channel setups in tuned rooms. I am hoping I can get it dialed in for 2 channel to sound its best too.

Ron

My Home Theater
BenQ MH741 Projector, Yamaha CX-A5100, (2 pr) JBL 8340As, (2 pr) JBL 8320s, PS3, XBox One, (1) Asus Mini, Redmere HDMI cables, Monster Signature HTPS7000, (2) Furman Power Conditioners, (2) DTS-10 subs, SeymourAV 180 (195" diag) scope screen, Darbee Darcet,Yamaha P7000s, Oppo UDP-203

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

DIY 14 channel IcePower amp coming soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #322 of 856 Old 07-16-14, 12:29 AM Thread Starter

Ron

My System

I got the black carpet installed on the top of the stage yesterday along with one section of black velvet in the soffits.

Now on to today... What a day today was... It started out with getting the audio rack made, and all the equipment up and running... Pretty good until I checked the NAS. The NAS could not be seen or see any other device on the network. I spent a good 5+ hours trying different cables, configs, re-installing the UnRaid software etc... All to no avail. Then my friend Travis comes over and we spent another hour or so with no progress. After he left I was looking for a new motherboard thinking I had a failed lan port on the mb. Well guess what... There were 2 lan ports and one had failed, but the other one worked. I booted in to the new OS and got into the NAS through the web... But it was only seeing 3 of the 4 drives and it didn't know what they were. I was then thinking I might have had a HDD failure after all the on/off cycles of the day. I decided to reload the original OS (good thing I made a copy ). I rebooted and went in through the web and it saw all the HDDs. Still not out of the woods yet as I have to see if the Parity drive finds any errors. I can't believe that I have had this SuperMicro MB for 1 month over 1 year and that by chance I try the wrong lan port and it was dead. I am thinking it has been dead from day one... Or maybe I am using theo ther one now? Not sure, but I am glad it is up and running without having to buy another MB, CPU, and maybe a HDD.

Ron

My Home Theater
BenQ MH741 Projector, Yamaha CX-A5100, (2 pr) JBL 8340As, (2 pr) JBL 8320s, PS3, XBox One, (1) Asus Mini, Redmere HDMI cables, Monster Signature HTPS7000, (2) Furman Power Conditioners, (2) DTS-10 subs, SeymourAV 180 (195" diag) scope screen, Darbee Darcet,Yamaha P7000s, Oppo UDP-203

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

post #323 of 856 Old 07-16-14, 08:32 AM
HTS Reviewer

I attempted to build a PC-based NAS a couple years back for my HT and it never did work the way I wanted. I'm not sure there is anything more frustrating than an unsolvable computer problem. Glad you were able to get things going with the 2nd network port!

post #324 of 856 Old 07-17-14, 09:58 PM Thread Starter

Ron

My System

Well the NAS is working again! Parity checked out ok. Next on the agenda this weekend is to get some of the Roxul R80 panels made up for room tuning, and get the new furnace installed. I am hoping that we can get the new HVAC to the point where we just have to pour the pad, and hookup the AC condenser on Sunday. The fumes from the carpet are still annoying... We have a fan blowing out for 12+ hours each day to try and get them down to zero. I hope to have some more pics this weekend... Even though it is getting harder to take the pics with the room being all black.

Ron

My Home Theater

post #325 of 856 Old 07-18-14, 08:18 AM
HTS Senior Moderator

Bryan Pape

Send a message via AIM to bpape Send a message via Skype™ to bpape

You'll be done before you know it and ready to enjoy it. Hang in there.

I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

Bryan Pape
Lead Acoustician

post #326 of 856 Old 07-18-14, 01:22 PM Thread Starter

Ron

My System

Quote:
bpape wrote: View Post
You'll be done before you know it and ready to enjoy it. Hang in there.
Just ordered some sample GOM pieces to see what will look good in our HT room. I am thinking of going with this scenario:

1: 2'x4' (R80) panels spaced evenly between our ceiling bass trap soffits (1'x2' stuffed with R19 Denim) (5 or 6 per row or 3 per row when turned 90 degrees) coming out about 10' on the ceiling.

2: 2'x4' panels on the side walls (about a foot from the bottom of the soffits (R80)) about 5 panels per wall (spaced evenly again)

On the back stage area we have the rear surrounds about a foot from the side walls... Should I make the side walls (about 6' long) all absorption, and use diffusion between the speakers?

We haven't treated the rear wall yet behind the screen (or even painted it... Will it improve the quality of the picture by painting it? The stage is stuffed with insulation now, and I want to drill holes in the front curved area to make it a bass trap (about 4' deep at its deepest area)... How big of holes do I need? Can I cover it with carpet and have it still be a bass trap?

The area behind the AT screen is about 6'... What should I do for treating it? Should I just hang LinAcoustics right behind the face of the speakers and leave a air chamber of 5' behind it?

Ron

My Home Theater

post #327 of 856 Old 07-20-14, 12:39 PM Thread Starter

Ron

My System

Well it looks like my progress will be slowing down for a while as my car was totaled in a 6 car collision yesterday on the way home from HD. I was not at fault so hopefully one of the other cars involved in the collision will pay for my car (I only have liability coverage).[IMG][/IMG] My Volvo is toast.

Ron

My Home Theater

post #328 of 856 Old 07-20-14, 01:32 PM
HTS Moderator
doug

My System
Quote:
ellisr63 wrote: View Post
Well it looks like my progress will be slowing down for a while as my car was totaled in a 6 car collision yesterday on the way home from HD. I was not at fault so hopefully one of the other cars involved in the collision will pay for my car (I only have liability coverage).[/URL][/IMG] My Volvo is toast.
Oh man, that's awful. Did you make it out unscathed?
post #329 of 856 Old 07-20-14, 01:39 PM Thread Starter

Ron

My System

Quote:
dougc wrote: View Post
Oh man, that's awful. Did you make it out unscathed?
I have some back, and neck pain... Other than that I am fine. I am glad that it appeared no one else was seriously injured. I think the red car that hit me might have had her foot on the gas when she was hit... I am thinking that because of how far she wedged herself into the other cars, and how she hit 4 other cars after she was hit.

Ron

My Home Theater

post #330 of 856 Old 07-20-14, 01:48 PM
Elite Shackster

Brandon

My System
Quote:
ellisr63 wrote: View Post
I have some back, and neck pain... Other than that I am fine. I am glad that it appeared no one else was seriously injured. I think the red car that hit me might have had her foot on the gas when she was hit... I am thinking that because of how far she wedged herself into the other cars, and how she hit 4 other cars after she was hit.
Sorry to hear about the wreck, hopefully only short term pain good luck with the insurance issues.