Ellis Family Retirement HT: Go big or go home - Page 4 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

43Likes

post #31 of 856 Old 01-17-14, 06:45 PM Thread Starter

Ron

My System
Re: My retirement Home Theater

Quote:
hjones4841 wrote: View Post
If possible, stay within the Heritage line for all channels so that the voicing will be similar. Surround effects, especially front to back pans, will be much smoother if you can. I have 4 K'horns, 1 Belle and 6 Heresys in an 11.2 Audyssey DSX setup and at "full tilt" it is absolutely amazing.

With the speed of the horn speakers, you really need to stay with either IB or sealed subs. I had the dream of doing an IB, but really did not have the space to do it, so I went with sealed Hsu ULS-15 sealed subs. Very tight bass and a good match for the horns.

I have not put in the Crites crossovers; let me know how it comes out. A friend put Crites crossovers in a pair of Cornwalls and really was not that impressed. I probably should put them in at least the fronts.

And congrats on being retired - I did that 2 years ago; ain't it great?
The reason I went with Bobs crossovers is... I am making the La Scalas into 2 ways. I purchased some Faital horns, drivers (2 of the horns from the same guy I bought my KP3002s, and HPS SR70s from), and some Klipsch "A" crossovers. The horns are the same ones Bob uses in his Cornscalas. Currently I have the top section removed from one of my La Scalas and I am reinforcing the bass bins. I purchased 1/2" Birch Plywood and wrapped the entire bass bin in it. I also flipped the bass bin upside down and made some feet for them. I have some rings that are made of MDF that I will be using for the horns. I still need to find the hardware for suspending the horns above the bass bin to bring the horn up to ear level. Once I have one done I will be converting the other 2 La Scalas. The KP3002s are supposedly similarly voiced to my La Scalas, but we will see how they are with the new horns. The HPS SR70s are a clone of the Heresy that is used for commercial theaters. If I am not satisfied with the sound of the Faital horns and drivers my next step will be to get the K510 horns or go big to the K402 Jubilee horns (I really don't want to go that big though. The KP3002 will be for my front width channels because I could not fit a pair of La Scalas in that position. The Heresy Industrial HIPs are currently being used as my surrounds but they will move to my height channels in the new theater.

I actually stopped working almost 3 years ago and have been fighting for my retirement and we just won this last December. I hope to start getting my back pay in the next few months along with a monthly check.

Since I am listening to movies 90% of the time and using Audyssey I have not been able to hear a difference in the speakers. Now you may be asking why the mods then... I am modding the speakers so I can use 2 of them for serious listening when I want to listen to music at its best. I needed to do all 3 to try and get the main 3 voiced as close as possible.

I came up with another idea today which could allow me to run more subs but I am not sure I want to do it... The idea is...
The proposed hallway will be running right next to the side of the house and our first floor has a crawl space. If I tapped into that I would have at least 5000cf more space for the IB setup. Problem is I am not sure if I want to have the bass traveling through out the house.

Ron

My Home Theater
BenQ MH741 Projector, Yamaha CX-A5100, (2 pr) JBL 8340As, (2 pr) JBL 8320s, PS3, XBox One, (1) Asus Mini, Redmere HDMI cables, Monster Signature HTPS7000, (2) Furman Power Conditioners, (2) DTS-10 subs, SeymourAV 180 (195" diag) scope screen, Darbee Darcet,Yamaha P7000s, Oppo UDP-203

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

DIY 14 channel IcePower amp coming soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 856 Old 01-18-14, 12:12 AM
Senior Shackster

Ron, I just realized who you are. Good to see another Klispcher over here. Subscribed to follow your build. One thing I will say about these Theater rooms, is it seems to be 85% or more designing and trying things that actually work rather then actually building. I think if we could all have a very simple concept we could just build it and be down in a couple of weeks. But it sounds like we all want the most we can get out of our space which forces us to push the envelope. I love it, can't wait to see how yours turns out.
post #33 of 856 Old 01-18-14, 12:47 AM Thread Starter

Ron

My System

Quote:
duder1982 wrote: View Post
Ron, I just realized who you are. Good to see another Klispcher over here. Subscribed to follow your build. One thing I will say about these Theater rooms, is it seems to be 85% or more designing and trying things that actually work rather then actually building. I think if we could all have a very simple concept we could just build it and be down in a couple of weeks. But it sounds like we all want the most we can get out of our space which forces us to push the envelope. I love it, can't wait to see how yours turns out.
Nice to see you over here too.

Well I keep looking at the IB setups and then the TubaHD and the THSPUD and I am unsure of which way to go. The TubaHD and THSPUD both look very easy to build and look like I can get the output I want with little power and inexpensively (If I build them). In March I am heading over to hear a setup that has some THSPUDs... I will definitely decide once I hear some.

Ron

My Home Theater
BenQ MH741 Projector, Yamaha CX-A5100, (2 pr) JBL 8340As, (2 pr) JBL 8320s, PS3, XBox One, (1) Asus Mini, Redmere HDMI cables, Monster Signature HTPS7000, (2) Furman Power Conditioners, (2) DTS-10 subs, SeymourAV 180 (195" diag) scope screen, Darbee Darcet,Yamaha P7000s, Oppo UDP-203

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

post #34 of 856 Old 01-18-14, 04:51 AM
Elite Shackster

Silly Girl!

Quote:
ellisr63 wrote: View Post
Problem is I am not sure if I want to have the bass traveling through out the house.
A very valid concern. Your neighbors may complain also unless you are very far away from them.

I am familiar with the industrial Heresys. A number of years ago I put together a sound system to ship to a missionary in Africa. I think it was seized by the local government a few days after he received it. Maybe I should have bought the Bose industrials instead. If they happened to know about audio they would not have stolen the Bose!

Hug your pet today!
post #35 of 856 Old 01-18-14, 08:23 AM
Senior Shackster

If I had a space I could use, I would give the IB a try. Then again I am not worried about sound traveling through the house. Since I don't have a lot of space for a big foot print sub, I am going to build a couple of thspud's myself. Good luck with your decision I know its tough to make sometimes.
post #36 of 856 Old 01-18-14, 09:40 AM
HTS Senior Moderator

Bryan Pape

Send a message via AIM to bpape Send a message via Skype™ to bpape

Another option if you want some nice quick subs is Rythmik. They have servo controlled sealed subs that are fast enough to keep up with Magnepans.

I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

Bryan Pape
Lead Acoustician

post #37 of 856 Old 01-30-14, 10:51 PM Thread Starter

Ron

My System

Well I will be getting 2 DTS-10 subs for the theater to replace the Triax since I will need more subs for the room, and I can't afford to buy another Triax plus I am trying to conserve electricity so this setup will be more efficient and use smaller amps to do the job.

I did a rough draft of what I think the layout will be...

11.2 setup, and all the speakers are shown in their proposed locations except for the height channels.

The speakers will be as follows:
Klipsch La Scalas for L+C+R
Klipsch Heresy Industrials HIPs for Heights
Klipsch Pro KP3002 for width
Klipsch Heresy Industrial HIPs for side surrounds
SR-70s for rear surrounds

The Theater is 23' long , 15' wide, with a 8' ceiling
The main listening position is 13' from the screen which is just over 11' wide, and will go floor to ceiling with black AT fabric panels to frame it out.

The area behind the screen is 5'x19', and has all the front channels (5), and the 2 subs plus the equipment rack. This room will be accessed through a access panel in the hallway due to stairs being built in the hallway to enter the house.

The wall on the left will be built for a hallway that will lead to our pond and also to the house... All the doors will be solid core doors plus there will be a solid core door leading into the theater.

The back row will be 4' from the rear wall, and all seats will be power recliners from Costco which are designed to be flush with the wall and scoot forward when reclining. I have left 6' spacing between the 1st and 2nd row for walking. The seats when fully reclined take 5' but I don't anticipate anyone fully reclining while watching a movie... If they do it will be tight to get around them.

The left and right speakers are at 40 degrees from the main listening position.

The width channels are at 60 degrees (the drawing is wrong).

The side surrounds are at 132 degrees, and the rears are centered on the room 5' apart (inside edge to inside edge)

The wall to the left will be a 2x6 staggered stud wall. All the other walls will have a 2nd 2x4 single wall added or a 2x6 staggered wall flush to the current finished wall.
The hallway is being built to:
1. Conceal the water heater and furnace
2. To provide a air cavity to improve noise isolation
4. to allow one door opening into the theater instead of 2 (pond entry, and house entry)

Walls will have 1 layer OSB (so panels can be attached for decorations) and 2 layers sheet rock with green glue. Ceiling will get 1/4" foam- GG- sheet rock- fiberglass insulation between the joists and then 2-3 layers of sheet rock with GG between them.

The floor is currently cement so it will get rubber underlayment for moisture protection, a 2x4 sub floor (2x4s on their sides 2" is the height side) with OSB tongue and groove plywood on top of that.

Behind the last row will be a very small bar (if 4' from the rear of the back row seats to the rear wall is enough room).

All lighting will be LED spots. I will also put lighting in the area behind the screen that will light up before a movie starts to see the speakers (like Imax does). There will be some sort of LED lighting for the walk ways too, plus an exit sign above the exit.

Well how does that sound? Any suggestions? Am I forgetting anything? I want to get most of this all ironed out before we break ground on this project. As I said before this is all proposed and not final. The only final decisions are the speakers, and seats as we already have the speakers, and 2 of the 6 seats.

For the screen I am looking at a Seymour AT screen and if the BenQ can handle it for the time being it will get the job although I will need to eventually move it to our MB for the 134" fixed screen we are currently using in our family room.

Ron

My Home Theater

post #38 of 856 Old 01-31-14, 02:53 AM Thread Starter

Ron

My System

Here is another question... When I am calculating the room length do I include the area behind the screen?

Ron

My Home Theater

post #39 of 856 Old 01-31-14, 05:02 AM
Elite Shackster

Silly Girl!

I will let Bryan confirm, but I would think so since bass will travel thru the screen and therefore contribute to room volume for room modes.

Hug your pet today!
post #40 of 856 Old 01-31-14, 08:11 AM
HTS Senior Moderator

Bryan Pape

Send a message via AIM to bpape Send a message via Skype™ to bpape

is the screen wall solid other than the AT Screen? Should be if at all possible. If solid other than the screen, you'll have resonances from the pseudo-cavity and have 2 sets of length modes to deal with.

I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

Bryan Pape
Lead Acoustician