Ellis Family Retirement HT: Go big or go home - Page 41 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

43Likes

post #401 of 856 Old 09-17-14, 02:56 PM Thread Starter

Ron

My System
Question Re: Ellis Family Retirement HT: Go big or go home

Quote:
bpape wrote: View Post
22 and 31 you're not going to touch - just being honest. All that is telling you is that those are where your modes are and where they'll be in the room. It tells you nothing about the time domain, getting reflections dealt with, getting decay time down to a reasonable level across the spectrum, etc.

It's really just a way that If you run into a problem, look at these and see if the problem matches up with one of these so you have a better idea of how to address it either via movement or treatment - or if neither of those can work and it's a peak, equalize it.
Does it give any info as to what seating locations would be best? I know that our front row seems to almost be in a null, as the sound is very spacious but there is little bass... where as the second row has plenty of bass but is not as spacious at all.

The front row seating position is 10' from the rear wall, and the 2nd row is 4' (head locations).

Ron

My Home Theater
BenQ MH741 Projector, Yamaha CX-A5100, (2 pr) JBL 8340As, (2 pr) JBL 8320s, PS3, XBox One, (1) Asus Mini, Redmere HDMI cables, Monster Signature HTPS7000, (2) Furman Power Conditioners, (2) DTS-10 subs, SeymourAV 180 (195" diag) scope screen, Darbee Darcet,Yamaha P7000s, Oppo UDP-203

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

DIY 14 channel IcePower amp coming soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #402 of 856 Old 09-17-14, 03:54 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

Bryan Pape

Send a message via AIM to bpape Send a message via Skype™ to bpape
Re: Ellis Family Retirement HT: Go big or go home

That's why the 38% rule is used sometimes. If you look and imagine 38% between the 1/4 and 1/2 points on the graph, you'll see that it's a nice blend of all modes - no serious nulls or peaks at that point.

I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

Bryan Pape
Lead Acoustician

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
post #403 of 856 Old 09-17-14, 05:29 PM Thread Starter

Ron

My System

Quote:
bpape wrote: View Post
That's why the 38% rule is used sometimes. If you look and imagine 38% between the 1/4 and 1/2 points on the graph, you'll see that it's a nice blend of all modes - no serious nulls or peaks at that point.
So the front seats are pretty close to the optimum seating then... 9.721' (which I can move the seating back to) being 38% from the rear wall, and the seating puts you 10' from the rear wall, correct?

Ron

My Home Theater
BenQ MH741 Projector, Yamaha CX-A5100, (2 pr) JBL 8340As, (2 pr) JBL 8320s, PS3, XBox One, (1) Asus Mini, Redmere HDMI cables, Monster Signature HTPS7000, (2) Furman Power Conditioners, (2) DTS-10 subs, SeymourAV 180 (195" diag) scope screen, Darbee Darcet,Yamaha P7000s, Oppo UDP-203

post #404 of 856 Old 09-18-14, 08:25 AM
HTS Senior Moderator

Bryan Pape

Send a message via AIM to bpape Send a message via Skype™ to bpape

In theory, yes. But remember, that's all theory. In a perfect rectangle that's made of 6' thick concrete, those rules will pretty much always work. In practice, there are lots of things in real rooms that may change a bit.

Also, remember that all that chart is looking at is axial modes. Not considering 2nd and 3rd order modes, SBIR, sub position, non-axial cancellations, etc. Consider it a pretty good/close starting point.

I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

Bryan Pape
Lead Acoustician

post #405 of 856 Old 09-23-14, 12:31 PM Thread Starter

Ron

My System

Well I just ordered what hopefully will be all I need to finish off the tuning of the room with Roxul R60 (it won't be in till early November as it was a special order out of Canada). I got enough to do the whole front wall 3" deep, plus enough for the area behind the 2nd row seating 6" deep. I have enough of the R80 left to do the ceiling panels. Now the fun part is to make all the fabric panel frames for the walls, and ceiling (most will be empty with just GOM stretched on them).

Ron

My Home Theater

post #406 of 856 Old 09-28-14, 10:42 PM Thread Starter

Ron

My System

I put up a 4' long section of ProStar velvet on our flat black ceiling... WOW, I couldn't believe how much better it looks! I am doing it by myself, and found out it is a bit hard to do it wrinkle free (plus you need to do it in small pieces... I had wanted to do one 15' long piece, but there was no way without a couple of helpers), but it is so black you can't tell where the wrinkles are from standing on the ground. I rubbed it good to get it to adhere, and part of it came loose after about 10 minutes... I have went, and re rubbed it a few times since and it seems to be holding. We will see how it is in a day or two.

Ron

My Home Theater

post #407 of 856 Old 09-29-14, 03:08 PM Thread Starter

Ron

My System

I decided to just put the ProStar covered pegboard panels up with sheetrock screws (angled).... Here are a couple of pictures of the ceiling comparing it to the flat painted ceiling, and JoAnnes Royal velvet (soffit panel surrounding the ceiling and upper frame of screen). I covered up the sheetrock screws with small pieces of ProStar so they are invisible too.

The pictures don't show anywhere near the drastic change it makes... The ceiling looks like about the same as the unmasked screen area next to the velvet.

Ron

My Home Theater

post #408 of 856 Old 09-29-14, 06:18 PM Thread Starter

Ron

My System

I just put up the last of the 7 2' x 4' panels of pegboard wrapped in ProStar black velvet and....... IT LOOKS AWESOME! I still can't believe how much better it looks. I looks like the screen is just popping out of nowhere (except for the sides that still need to be masked). Going 4' deep on the ceiling with ProStar was the single biggest improvement for the image quality. I still have to get the Roxul R60 up on the wall behind the screen (3" is on order still), and then put up the black commando cloth for the whole wall behind the screen... I am hoping this takes it up to the next level (although i don't know how it could get much better). When I get the rear wall covered I will be removing the height channels, and moving the screen back another 2'. Then I will be shadow boxing in the last 2' with black velvet. There should be zero light reflection then as the ceiling will have 6' of velvet, the stage will be 2' deeper too.

Here are a couple of pics with my cellphone...

With flash...

Without flash...

Ron

My Home Theater

post #409 of 856 Old 10-01-14, 11:04 PM Thread Starter

Ron

My System

Does anyone know if the MiniDSP would be better to use than the Berringer FBD? I am asking this because the Berringer only has EQ down to 20hz, and I am thinking that since my subs go lower but with less output it might allow me to boost the bass at a lower level.

Ron

My Home Theater

post #410 of 856 Old 10-02-14, 03:43 AM
HTS Senior Moderator

Papi

There are many work arounds for the Behringer stuff so that you can EQ lower than 20hz. Might not be as precise as the MiniDSP but thats up to you.

"Music is the space between the notes"
[T]o talk well and eloquently is a very great art, but that an equally great one is to know the right moment to stop.