Ellis Family Retirement HT: Go big or go home - Page 42 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

43Likes

post #411 of 855 Old 10-02-14, 06:47 AM
Elite Shackster

My System
Got a BFD for pretty cheap... Still has the plastic on the display (shipping protection). Plus the guide I printed from HTS, and a couple cables. If your interested that is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #412 of 855 Old 10-02-14, 08:37 AM
HTS Senior Moderator

Bryan Pape

Send a message via AIM to bpape Send a message via Skype™ to bpape
Re: Ellis Family Retirement HT: Go big or go home

Be careful trying to pump really low frequencies like that. Good way to blow an amp.

I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

Bryan Pape
Lead Acoustician

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
post #413 of 855 Old 10-02-14, 10:57 AM Thread Starter

Ron

My System

Quote:
chrapladm wrote: View Post
There are many work arounds for the Behringer stuff so that you can EQ lower than 20hz. Might not be as precise as the MiniDSP but thats up to you.
It sounds like the MiniDSP is the better one for the job... If you had both, which would you choose for subs?

Ron

My Home Theater
BenQ MH741 Projector, Yamaha CX-A5100, (2 pr) JBL 8340As, (2 pr) JBL 8320s, PS3, XBox One, (1) Asus Mini, Redmere HDMI cables, Monster Signature HTPS7000, (2) Furman Power Conditioners, (2) DTS-10 subs, SeymourAV 180 (195" diag) scope screen, Darbee Darcet,Yamaha P7000s, Oppo UDP-203

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

DIY 14 channel IcePower amp coming soon.

post #414 of 855 Old 10-02-14, 07:39 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

Papi

MiniDSP.

"Music is the space between the notes"
“[T]o talk well and eloquently is a very great art, but that an equally great one is to know the right moment to stop.”
post #415 of 855 Old 10-02-14, 08:02 PM
Elite Shackster

My System
Quote:
chrapladm wrote: View Post
MiniDSP.
+1
post #416 of 855 Old 10-02-14, 11:20 PM Thread Starter

Ron

My System

I will sell the FBD, and use the extra MiniDSP 2x4 that I have.

Interesting thing... Today my Yamaha P7000s died (only had it in service since the beginning of July too). I unplugged it, and let it sit for a while and plugged it back in, and it is dead... no lights, nada, nothing at all.

Good thing it is under warranty.

So since it was dead I decided to use one of my P2500s amps for the subs for now, and I found out something interesting...

When I was using the P7000s I had to turn the gain up full on one channel, and 3/4 on the other channel to get Audyssey to calibrate the subs. When I hooked up the P2500s it calibrated both of them at about 7/8 level equally! I had originally thought that the P7000s was doing that due to one sub in front of the room, and the other being behind me, but I now believe it was defective. The other issue with the P7000s was a hum... The P2500 has one but it is much lower.

I will call Yamaha in the morning to see about getting the P7000s repaired.

Ron

My Home Theater
BenQ MH741 Projector, Yamaha CX-A5100, (2 pr) JBL 8340As, (2 pr) JBL 8320s, PS3, XBox One, (1) Asus Mini, Redmere HDMI cables, Monster Signature HTPS7000, (2) Furman Power Conditioners, (2) DTS-10 subs, SeymourAV 180 (195" diag) scope screen, Darbee Darcet,Yamaha P7000s, Oppo UDP-203

post #417 of 855 Old 10-03-14, 12:38 PM Thread Starter

Ron

My System

I called Yamaha this morning, and explained the problem, and they are sending me the info for a local repair shop. I have to say that the person I was dealing with was one of the most pleasant that I have ever had to deal with for a repair issue. No reading of scripts like when I had to deal with Epson... Just told him the problem, and it was a done deal.

Ron

My Home Theater

post #418 of 855 Old 10-07-14, 11:08 PM Thread Starter

Ron

My System
Question Re: Ellis Family Retirement HT: Go big or go home

Quote:
bpape wrote: View Post
Be careful trying to pump really low frequencies like that. Good way to blow an amp.
How do i know how much (or if at all) I can boost the low end with my Yamaha p7000s?

Ron

My Home Theater

post #419 of 855 Old 10-07-14, 11:16 PM Thread Starter

Ron

My System

On a different note... A few weeks ago we had a power outage and ever since my Insteon Lighting was working off and on until it stopped communicating period with the ISY994i. I ordered a replacement ISY thinking that was the problem but it didn't solve it. I got a new modem under warranty, and that wasn't it either... I finally called Universal Devices about the ISY. The Tech had me run through a few things and came to the conclusion that it was electrical noise. He told me to unplug everything, and then re-plug them in one by one until I find a device that makes it stop working again. I was dreading that and tried a noise filter and re routing my power cords in the rack to no avail. A friend of mine came over and said if it is noise I should try wrapping the cords around a magnet... I then remembered back to my Audiophile days where I had used TDK magnets to eliminate noise. I dug into my junk, and fount about a dozen of them... I put one on each cord that was going into my UPS (including the UPS power cord), and decided to try it again. It worked! Now I can get back to working on my room again.

Ron

My Home Theater

post #420 of 855 Old 10-08-14, 06:16 AM
Senior Shackster

Looks like you have had some kinks to work out, but seems to be getting worked out. Nice.