Ellis Family Retirement HT: Go big or go home - Page 45 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

43Likes

post #441 of 856 Old 10-27-14, 12:20 PM Thread Starter

Ron

My System
Re: Ellis Family Retirement HT: Go big or go home

Still haven't gotten the hallway done as my eye doctor is trying different contact lenses on me and my vision is still messed up. I do however have a new Peerless AV rack arriving (hopefully) Tuesday night. It is a 30U rack with casters (which will be not be installed). This will hopefully hold the following pieces:
AVR
3 Yamaha amps
PS3
Xbox 360
Cisco Gigabit switch
HDDVD player
Monster power filter

My INUCs, MiniDSPs, T chip amps, TV tuners, and ISY 994i will be attached 2 2 2x4 panels and hung on the wall. I am going to build a false wall that will hide all of the equipment, and ventilated with GOM. The GOM panels will be removable for easy access.

I am thinking of moving the NAS to a closet since it is the noisiest piece, and it is not needed in the HT room.

I will try and get some pics of the new amp setup when I get it installed... Currently i am working on getting my NAS reconfigured with my 2 additional 6TB NAS hdds. I am trying to store all my data differently on the hdds (not striped), and this is going to take a while since I am moving 10TB of data around.

Ron

My Home Theater
BenQ MH741 Projector, Yamaha CX-A5100, (2 pr) JBL 8340As, (2 pr) JBL 8320s, PS3, XBox One, (1) Asus Mini, Redmere HDMI cables, Monster Signature HTPS7000, (2) Furman Power Conditioners, (2) DTS-10 subs, SeymourAV 180 (195" diag) scope screen, Darbee Darcet,Yamaha P7000s, Oppo UDP-203

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

DIY 14 channel IcePower amp coming soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #442 of 856 Old 10-27-14, 08:54 PM Thread Starter

Ron

My System

Today I worked on the ISY994i... I was able to get some scenes completed, and figured out how to integrated some dusk to dawn programming too. I now have a Scene controller switch set up to (Home Theater only):
A: Turn on just the Spot lights
B: Turn on all the lights to 100%, and turn on the Pond Spot lights if after dusk (pond is the entrance to the HT).
C: Turn off the Spots, turn on the sub amp, and dim all the appropriate lights for watching a movie.
D: Turn on all the lights after a Movie is over.
E: Turn off all the lights, amps, and dim the hall lights and pond lights for 4 minutes till off (this gives enough time to exit to the area)

Next I am going to install a Insteon door sensor for the entrance to the pond so I can have the lights go on "if it is after sunset and they are not already on".

I was actually surprised as to how easy it was for me since I am not a programmer, and this is all pretty new to me.

Ron

My Home Theater
BenQ MH741 Projector, Yamaha CX-A5100, (2 pr) JBL 8340As, (2 pr) JBL 8320s, PS3, XBox One, (1) Asus Mini, Redmere HDMI cables, Monster Signature HTPS7000, (2) Furman Power Conditioners, (2) DTS-10 subs, SeymourAV 180 (195" diag) scope screen, Darbee Darcet,Yamaha P7000s, Oppo UDP-203

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

post #443 of 856 Old 10-28-14, 12:26 PM Thread Starter

Ron

My System
Question Re: Ellis Family Retirement HT: Go big or go home

Question:

I keep looking at the baffle wall possibility for my HT...

What would happen if I was to use the 3" Roxul on the wall behind the AT screen, move my AT screen back to 4' from the rear wall (which will allow me to watch at 195" scope), and then build another wall with acoustic panels made of Roxul R60 as a baffle wall with the screen in front of the baffle wall?

Would this make it a better bass trap since it would have 3" on the rear wall, and another 3" for a baffle wall with a 4' cavity?

Would it be better to just do the baffle wall?

Are their any disadvantages to a baffle wall?

Advantages?

Ron

My Home Theater

post #444 of 856 Old 10-28-14, 01:15 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

Bryan Pape

Send a message via AIM to bpape Send a message via Skype™ to bpape

Do the false wall for the screen just studs and fabric. Do the 3" on the real front wall.

I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

Bryan Pape
Lead Acoustician

post #445 of 856 Old 10-28-14, 01:28 PM Thread Starter

Ron

My System
Question Re: Ellis Family Retirement HT: Go big or go home

Quote:
bpape wrote: View Post
Do the false wall for the screen just studs and fabric. Do the 3" on the real front wall.
We have the Screen up and it is within 1' from either side wall (we will have panels wrapped with Velvet covering the 1' area that is left)... So you are saying just do the real back wall with the 3", and cover it with the black material, and call it a day?

Ron

My Home Theater

post #446 of 856 Old 10-28-14, 01:36 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

Bryan Pape

Send a message via AIM to bpape Send a message via Skype™ to bpape

The real hard wall behind the speakers - yes. 4" would be better given the speaker restrictions and the frequencies in question if you have the space.

I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

Bryan Pape
Lead Acoustician

post #447 of 856 Old 10-28-14, 02:10 PM Thread Starter

Ron

My System

Quote:
The real hard wall behind the speakers - yes. 4" would be better given the speaker restrictions and the frequencies in question if you have the space.
OK... As soon as the Roxul 60 arrives I will put one layer on the real wall behind the front speakers, and 2 layers behind the 2nd row of seating against that wall.

Ron

My Home Theater

post #448 of 856 Old 10-30-14, 12:28 PM Thread Starter

Ron

My System

Just got my Roxul in... They shorted me by one bundle and it was damaged. I negotiated the price due to the damage and got it for $44 a bundle (7 bundles). They are ordering my missing bundle and hopefully I will have it by the beginning of December (orders come from Canada for the Roxul 60).

This will be for the single layer behind the screen, and also for the double layer behind the second row seating.
[IMG][/IMG]

I also received my new Peerless rack... So over the next few days, I will be dis assembling the old rack and installing the new rack, making the frames for the wall behind the AT screen (2x4s), and then ordering the 1/2 x6 pieces for the rear wall frames. I will then be covering the wall behind the screen with Black Commando Cloth, and the rear wall with black, and, or Blue GOM.

Ron

My Home Theater

post #449 of 856 Old 10-30-14, 01:57 PM Thread Starter

Ron

My System

Just got done moving all 7 bundles to the HT... I am beat (about 100')! What i would have given to be 20 years younger today!

Ron

My Home Theater

post #450 of 856 Old 10-30-14, 04:50 PM
Senior Shackster

My System
Quote:
Brian,

Are there instance you do suggest a baffle wall?
Do you see advantages/disadvantages?

Thanks!