Ellis Family Retirement HT: Go big or go home - Page 46 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

43Likes

post #451 of 855 Old 11-01-14, 12:54 PM Thread Starter

Ron

My System
Re: Ellis Family Retirement HT: Go big or go home

I got the Yamaha back... Apparently there was a defect in the output transformers (I think that is what they called it), and they shorted out. Normally the short would have been protected from causing more damage,b b ut in my case it wasn't and they had to replace a board. They said they have only had 2 other P7000s amps ever come in, and they had the same problem as mine (just that the protection did protect it). Other than that they have seen some P5000s amps but no other Yamaha Pro amps. They said the Yamaha Pro amps last forever.

I worked on getting my new rack up, and getting the MiniDSPs going all day yesterday. When I got everything up and running I found that I have noise coming out of my P2500s amps when I turn them on (they had been used for my sub amps and worked flawlessly). I think it is the rca to XLR cables, as i disconnected the the RCA end from the MiniDSP, and it went silent.. I am going to head over to Guitar Center toady, and get some Vampire Wire RCA to XLR cables, and try them out. I think I also might have a bad RCA cable going out of the MiniDSP to my Topping T chip amp (or I have a bad connector on the MiniDSP), as I am getting no sound to my left horn. I tried switching the input cables to the Mini DSP and the sound moved appropriately.

Ron

My Home Theater
BenQ MH741 Projector, Yamaha CX-A5100, (2 pr) JBL 8340As, (2 pr) JBL 8320s, PS3, XBox One, (1) Asus Mini, Redmere HDMI cables, Monster Signature HTPS7000, (2) Furman Power Conditioners, (2) DTS-10 subs, SeymourAV 180 (195" diag) scope screen, Darbee Darcet,Yamaha P7000s, Oppo UDP-203

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

DIY 14 channel IcePower amp coming soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 855 Old 11-01-14, 08:39 PM Thread Starter

Ron

My System

The last 2 days have been hard! I just got the problems solved that happened with the new rack install. I rewired the T chip amps, installed another new set of XLR to RCA cables, and installed cheater plugs, and magnets on all my computer pieces. The noise problems I had were all from the NUCs. I even had them all going to the Monster power conditioner, and it still couldn't get rid of the noise. I ended up putting cheater plugs on the ends and now it is perfectly quiet.

Ron

My Home Theater
BenQ MH741 Projector, Yamaha CX-A5100, (2 pr) JBL 8340As, (2 pr) JBL 8320s, PS3, XBox One, (1) Asus Mini, Redmere HDMI cables, Monster Signature HTPS7000, (2) Furman Power Conditioners, (2) DTS-10 subs, SeymourAV 180 (195" diag) scope screen, Darbee Darcet,Yamaha P7000s, Oppo UDP-203

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

post #453 of 855 Old 11-02-14, 12:34 AM Thread Starter

Ron

My System

I am very pleased with the way the MiniDSPs worked out as crossovers for my setup. Hopefully in the next few weeks a friend of mine will get some time to help me dial them in with REW.

For now i did something that came out nicely but I am sure it is not the correct way to get an active crossover up and running.

This is what I did...
In the past with the La Scala crossovers as a temporary crossover Audyssey would give me a 150-250hz crossover. I saw on line where someone made a comment that it might be doing that because the Horns were so much more efficient than the 1/4 pie bass bins, so I decided to do a little experiment.

First I lowered the gain going to the horns and then ran Audyssey... It moved my crossover closer to the 80hz that I felt it should be at so I continued to play with the levels until I was able to get a 80hz crossover. Once i had it to that point I maxed out my gain going to the 1/4 pies, and then slowly raised the gain on the horns, re ran Audyssey, and repeated until I got to the 80 hz goal. Then I saved it and watched some music videos, and a movie. I must say it def sounded better all around. I am sure that once we run REW it will show a lot of work still needs to be done to get it dialed in, but I believe we are closer than we were with the La Scala crossovers.

Ron

My Home Theater

post #454 of 855 Old 11-06-14, 12:23 PM Thread Starter

Ron

My System

Last night i sat down and listened to some stereo tracks... It was the first time i have listened in Bi-Amp mode vs Audyssey. I have to say i was pleasantly surprised by the sound. The Topping T chip amps appear to be up to the task of driving the horns no problem. I listened at a fairly loud level as well as lower levels to see how they sounded... I noticed that the KPT3002, and the HIPs were noticeably brighter sounding. I actually preferred the horns in Bi-amp mode, and even tried it in direct mode (no Audyssey), and that sounded pretty good too. One track I was listening to had a little bell that is off to the right of the stage and it was projecting it to my right while i was sitting in the 2nd row! Now this would be great if my soundstage was like that for all my music, but it is not to that point yet. Tonally I much prefer the horns to my old La Scalas (which I loved). We will see what we can find out when we run REW... Once we get that far we will know what we need to do to tune the room properly (hopefully).

Today i need to work on the AprilAire multizone HVAC setup to get 3 zones working (still have to run the wires for the other 3 zones)

Ron

My Home Theater

post #455 of 855 Old 11-13-14, 12:21 PM Thread Starter

Ron

My System

A big thanks to jtalden for helping me get my front 3 channels dialed in... Without his help I would not be at the point i am now.

This is what we ended up with...
Attached Thumbnails
Ellis Family Retirement HT: Go big or go home-111314-left-horn-only-tuned.jpg  

Ellis Family Retirement HT: Go big or go home-111314-left-bb-tuned.jpg  

Ellis Family Retirement HT: Go big or go home-111314-left-speaker-tuned-complete.jpg  

Ron

My Home Theater

post #456 of 855 Old 11-14-14, 11:38 AM Thread Starter

Ron

My System

We had a little scare yesterday... Our friend was over trying to figure out why our HVAC stopped working and discovered we had 150v to each of our outlets! We called PG&E and they think it was a bad connection on the line to the house... They replaced the connectors and measured and it was normal again.

Apparently the 150v took out my Damper transformer, zone controller, and 3 Thermostats (at $300 each). I will call PG&E today to find out how to file for a damages claim.

Ron

My Home Theater

post #457 of 855 Old 11-14-14, 02:41 PM
Shackster
Jeff L

Quote:
ellisr63 wrote: View Post
We had a little scare yesterday... Our friend was over trying to figure out why our HVAC stopped working and discovered we had 150v to each of our outlets! We called PG&E and they think it was a bad connection on the line to the house... They replaced the connectors and measured and it was normal again.

Apparently the 150v took out my Damper transformer, zone controller, and 3 Thermostats (at $300 each). I will call PG&E today to find out how to file for a damages claim.
Sorry to hear that, similar experience at my business, they were connecting new 3 phase lines @ 230volts and instead went 460volts,fried my bridge saw panel, compressor, 5hp router transformer couple computers. 9k worth and took me almost 8 months to get it. Honestly I think they got sick of me walking in the office once week and complaining. be relentless, squeaky wheel gets the grease
post #458 of 855 Old 11-14-14, 02:52 PM Thread Starter

Ron

My System

Quote:
Jeff L wrote: View Post
Sorry to hear that, similar experience at my business, they were connecting new 3 phase lines @ 230volts and instead went 460volts,fried my bridge saw panel, compressor, 5hp router transformer couple computers. 9k worth and took me almost 8 months to get it. Honestly I think they got sick of me walking in the office once week and complaining. be relentless, squeaky wheel gets the grease
WOW... Ours isn't as bad as yours was. Did you pay for it out of pocket and then it took that long to get reimbursed? My friend said what saved our Audio rack, and computers was the Monster 7000 power filter as it adjusts the voltage to what is safe.

After 2 crews coming out they changed the connections on each end of the line running to our house and the transformer... re tested and now it is fine. So far we have the 24v transformer, zone controller, and 3 thermostats that are bad. I ordered the replacements today and parts alone was $1100. I think by the time this is done PG&E will have close to a $2k bill. Now today I also notice that our ISY (HA Lighting controller is acting weird... It will work via switches and the web but not via the LAN or wireless. If that is damaged it is another $200+ for the part. I just hope PG&E covers the whole bill. I still need to order an new Transformer too.

Ron

My Home Theater

post #459 of 855 Old 11-20-14, 11:28 AM Thread Starter

Ron

My System

Update:
I haven't gotten anything done in the last week as we are waiting until the HVAC work is all done. After that point I have a laborer that is going to come over and help me get the front and rear wall acoustics completed.

Since we have the front three channels dialed in with REW I have been listening to my CDs, and music videos in 2.1. I have to tell you that i am so pleased as to the way it sounds! This is the first time i have ever heard a sub that integrated so well with speakers without having the one note bass. I have had a couple of friends over and they have also commented on how well the setup is now integrated. Next on the tuning will be dialing in the subs to see if they can get even better!

I just installed a Darbee 5000 last night, and it makes a night and day difference on my setup. When I turn it on it is like I just fine tuned the focus. It is most noticeable when I turn it off and see the whole image appear to go a bit out of focus. I picked mine up BNIB at www.smarthome.com for $257 as a closeout item.

Ron

My Home Theater

post #460 of 855 Old 11-20-14, 11:32 AM
HTS Senior Moderator

Bryan Pape

Send a message via AIM to bpape Send a message via Skype™ to bpape

Good deal! Now you're hooked....

I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

Bryan Pape
Lead Acoustician