Ellis Family Retirement HT: Go big or go home - Page 47 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

43Likes

post #461 of 855 Old 11-20-14, 12:26 PM Thread Starter

Ron

My System
Re: Ellis Family Retirement HT: Go big or go home

Quote:
bpape wrote: View Post
Good deal! Now you're hooked....
Reminds me of the old days of kicking back and listening to music for hours every night.

Ron

My Home Theater
BenQ MH741 Projector, Yamaha CX-A5100, (2 pr) JBL 8340As, (2 pr) JBL 8320s, PS3, XBox One, (1) Asus Mini, Redmere HDMI cables, Monster Signature HTPS7000, (2) Furman Power Conditioners, (2) DTS-10 subs, SeymourAV 180 (195" diag) scope screen, Darbee Darcet,Yamaha P7000s, Oppo UDP-203

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

DIY 14 channel IcePower amp coming soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #462 of 855 Old 11-20-14, 01:55 PM
Elite Shackster

My System

I just checked the website and they list it as $319...how did you pick it up for $60 dollars less?

*Update*
I ended up purchasing one new in box for $184 out the door on ebay.

Home Theater System Denon AVR4520CI, Emotiva XPA-5 Gen 2, Polk CSi A6 Center, Polk RTi A9 Front, Polk RTi A7 Front Wide, Polk RTi A1 Front Height, Polk FXi A6 Side, Polk RTi A3 Rear, SVS PB12-NSD x2 Front, SVS PC12-NSD x2 Rear, Panasonic PT-AE7000U, Visual Apex CineWhite 100" Screen, PS4, Dish Hopper, Darbee Darblet DVP 5000.My Home Theater Build
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by phillihp23; 12-02-14 at 09:08 PM.
post #463 of 855 Old 11-20-14, 04:39 PM Thread Starter

Ron

My System

Quote:
phillihp23 wrote: View Post
I just checked the website and they list it as $319...how did you pick it up for $60 dollars less?
Click on it to add it to your cart and the 25% discount is subtracted from the price.

Ron

My Home Theater
BenQ MH741 Projector, Yamaha CX-A5100, (2 pr) JBL 8340As, (2 pr) JBL 8320s, PS3, XBox One, (1) Asus Mini, Redmere HDMI cables, Monster Signature HTPS7000, (2) Furman Power Conditioners, (2) DTS-10 subs, SeymourAV 180 (195" diag) scope screen, Darbee Darcet,Yamaha P7000s, Oppo UDP-203

post #464 of 855 Old 11-24-14, 11:20 PM Thread Starter

Ron

My System

Update: Yesterday we...
1. Pulled the screen down
2. Built a 2x4 framework for the Roxul R60 3"
3. Installed the Roxul from the ceiling to the bottom of the bass bins wall to wall
4. Covered the wall, and ceiling with Black Commando Cloth (behind the screen)
5. Moved the Bass Bins as close as possible to the treated wall, and then aimed the bass bins and horns (with the horns being on the front edge of the bass bins) for the MLP Since the front of the bass bins are curved and the horns are straight... We took some denim insulation and put it under the lip of the horns to stop reflection from the bass bin.
6. Re installed the Screen in it's new location (a little over a foot closer to the back wall).
7. Re ran Audyssey

So far it seems like all the music appears to be clearer, and sharper? The sub bass seems to be perfectly blended with the rest of the system. So far there has not been an indication at all of "one note bass". We still have plenty of R60 for the rear wall to go 6-9" deep too.

When I get my replacement mic in, I will run REW to see what has changed and what we need to do for fine tuning still.

We will be selling the KP3002 speakers (side surrounds), and replacing them with the Klipsch HIPs (same as rear surround)

In the next few weeks I hope to get all the scoustic panels made up, and a good chunk of the (non absorbing) wall panels made up to... Goal is before Xmas.

HVAC 3 Zone will hopefully be completed in the next 2 weeks.

Ron

My Home Theater

post #465 of 855 Old 11-25-14, 09:36 PM Thread Starter

Ron

My System
Question Re: Ellis Family Retirement HT: Go big or go home

I have been listening to FLAC recordings ripped to my NAS, and made some observations about my system the way it is today. All of the songs were at -10 volume level in stereo with the subs.

AC/DC- Ride On sounds the best I have ever heard it sound!
Bass is nice, and powerful being seamless into the subs, Guitar is crystal clear as are the vocals. Every thing that comes out of the speakers has a distinctness to it.

Wang Chung- Praying to a new God has the vocals sounding recessed into the stage. Very flat sound-stage. I can def hear the ambiance in the room very distinctly. All of the vocals are crystal clear. Not congested at all.

AC/DC- You Shook me all night long sounded great with just a little bit of raspy in the lead vocals.

Toni Childs- Walk and talk like Angels had a bit of a recessed sound stage in the beginning but excellent clarity, and with the horns sounding great. Vocals were crystal clear even when the high note were hit.

Yaz- Bring your love down sounded superb! with just a bit of ambiance in most of the recording which gave it just enough to make you feel like you were in the room. I am still trying to get to the point where I can accurately judge the depth of the stage.

White Lion- When the Children Cry is an all time favorite ballad of mine, and I was not let down at all. Excellent placement on the stage, and just the tinge of being raspy in his voice that I recall from my other setups in the past.

Yello- Flag sounded superb from the bottom end to the top end.

ZZTop-Got me under pressure didn't have the warm bass that I recall. The whole song had a very dry sound (as did other ZZTop songs I listened to)

ZZ-TOP Sharp dressed man didn't have the bottom end I recall nor did it sound as clear as I recall, but I did hear vocals in areas that I don't recall hearing them (toward the beginning of the song). I might have to bring out the CD and re listen as there was a lot of raspy on this song that I don't recall.

Talking Heads-Psycho Killer sounded very crystal clear with just a tinge of the cymbals appearing to be chopped off. Very good impact on the song on the drums, and guitars.

Yello- La Habanera sounded superb... Sound the best I have heard it sound. Everything was crystal clear and very distinct on the sound-stage. None of the notes sounded chopped off in the slightest. Def had some good depth too. Bass was very powerful to, . Def a superb recording.

Ray Lynch- Celestial Soda Pop had excellent delineation in space of all instruments. Another superb recording.

This setup has me back to enjoying my stereo setup again!

It also makes me wonder if when i install the rear 9" thick Roxul panels if i should be looking at putting a rubber membrane on the front to stop from sucking the life out of the room. My acoustic panels that I am currently using for my side panels will be going on the ceiling... With new panels being made for the walls. Should i use a rubber membrane on all the rest of the panels to stop from over damping the room?

Ron

My Home Theater

post #466 of 855 Old 11-26-14, 07:39 AM
HTS Senior Moderator

Bryan Pape

Send a message via AIM to bpape Send a message via Skype™ to bpape

Do you want a listening room or a home theater? 2 different sets of design goals. The room is set up as a home theater with a shorter decay time.

Side reflection panels need to be full range. The wall behind you absolutely use the membrane.

I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

Bryan Pape
Lead Acoustician

post #467 of 855 Old 11-26-14, 11:02 AM Thread Starter

Ron

My System

Quote:
Do you want a listening room or a home theater? 2 different sets of design goals. The room is set up as a home theater with a shorter decay time.

Side reflection panels need to be full range. The wall behind you absolutely use the membrane.
Thanks Brian, I didn't realize they were 2 different designs. I will build the rear wall with the rubber liner over the front and build more side panels full range.

The room is making big improvements so far in the sound. Thanks again foir your assistance.

Ron

My Home Theater

post #468 of 855 Old 11-26-14, 11:23 AM
HTS Senior Moderator

Bryan Pape

Happy to help. You just kind of need to prioritize which way you want to lean - more toward HT or more toward 2 channel. You could do diffusion at the early reflections for the 2 channel main seat to liven things up a bit more also then do absorption for the other side panels.

Bryan Pape
Lead Acoustician

post #469 of 855 Old 11-26-14, 12:37 PM Thread Starter

Ron

My System

Quote:
Happy to help. You just kind of need to prioritize which way you want to lean - more toward HT or more toward 2 channel. You could do diffusion at the early reflections for the 2 channel main seat to liven things up a bit more also then do absorption for the other side panels.
So i could do my first first reflection point as Diffusion, and then the other 3 panels as absorption? Maybe i will try that out. I would still do my ceiling as absorption for the first reflection, correct?

Ron

My Home Theater

post #470 of 855 Old 11-26-14, 12:51 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

Bryan Pape

Yes. Just fine the reflections for the center 2 channel seat and treat those with diffusion. Get something that's going to get down reasonably low. A 6" thick diffuser should get down to around 300Hz.

Bryan Pape
Lead Acoustician