Ellis Family Retirement HT: Go big or go home - Page 49 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

43Likes

post #481 of 856 Old 11-27-14, 02:45 PM Thread Starter

Ron

My System
Re: Ellis Family Retirement HT: Go big or go home

Here is the door handle temporarily mounted on our inner HT door. Also here is a picture of the same style door handle on the outside of the HT (I will have the same work done to the outer door handle so it matches the inner door handle). Light is powered by a 9v battery. The inner door still needs the fabric panels to be made and installed.
Attached Thumbnails
Ellis Family Retirement HT: Go big or go home-inner-door-handle-lit.jpg  

Ellis Family Retirement HT: Go big or go home-ourhtdoor_zps5d85f0c4.jpg  

Ron

My Home Theater
BenQ MH741 Projector, Yamaha CX-A5100, (2 pr) JBL 8340As, (2 pr) JBL 8320s, PS3, XBox One, (1) Asus Mini, Redmere HDMI cables, Monster Signature HTPS7000, (2) Furman Power Conditioners, (2) DTS-10 subs, SeymourAV 180 (195" diag) scope screen, Darbee Darcet,Yamaha P7000s, Oppo UDP-203

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

DIY 14 channel IcePower amp coming soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #482 of 856 Old 11-27-14, 04:13 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

Bryan Pape

Send a message via AIM to bpape Send a message via Skype™ to bpape

If your reflection points are truly that close to the front wall that's fine. That said, the right speaker reflection off of the left wall certainly will not be.

I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

Bryan Pape
Lead Acoustician

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
post #483 of 856 Old 11-27-14, 04:37 PM Thread Starter

Ron

My System

Quote:
bpape wrote: View Post
If your reflection points are truly that close to the front wall that's fine. That said, the right speaker reflection off of the left wall certainly will not be.

Ron

My Home Theater
BenQ MH741 Projector, Yamaha CX-A5100, (2 pr) JBL 8340As, (2 pr) JBL 8320s, PS3, XBox One, (1) Asus Mini, Redmere HDMI cables, Monster Signature HTPS7000, (2) Furman Power Conditioners, (2) DTS-10 subs, SeymourAV 180 (195" diag) scope screen, Darbee Darcet,Yamaha P7000s, Oppo UDP-203

post #484 of 856 Old 11-29-14, 11:41 AM Thread Starter

Ron

My System

Picked up a new toy for the HT yesterday at Costco... I got the Samsung Galaxy Tab 5. I will be using it to control my AV equipment, lighting, HVAC, and to monitor the ELK M1 when it is installed. The picture on the tablet is awesome! I can't believe they have 2560x1600 (WQXGA) Super AMOLED display on this little 10.5" screen.

Ron

My Home Theater

post #485 of 856 Old 11-30-14, 12:14 PM Thread Starter

Ron

My System

Yesterday we built the framework for the rear wall bass trap (except for the corners). We used 1x10s, and 3 layers of Roxul R60, covered it with rubber sheeting, and then re ran Audyssey. I listened to some Music and I am noticing even tighter bass than before. I had my wife come in and listen and she also commented about how much better the room was sounding. Here are some pictures of the install... Next will be making the fabric panels for the rear wall, and corner bass traps.
Attached Thumbnails
Ellis Family Retirement HT: Go big or go home-20141129_192839_zps91c8341b.jpg  

Ellis Family Retirement HT: Go big or go home-20141129_162804_zps4794a3a3.jpg  

Ellis Family Retirement HT: Go big or go home-frame-construction-roxul-r60.jpg  

Ron

My Home Theater

post #486 of 856 Old 12-02-14, 09:12 PM
Elite Shackster

My System

Quote:
ellisr63 wrote: View Post
I just installed a Darbee 5000 last night, and it makes a night and day difference on my setup. When I turn it on it is like I just fine tuned the focus. It is most noticeable when I turn it off and see the whole image appear to go a bit out of focus.
What settings are you using?
Hi Def 60% ?

Is there a way to turn of the darbee setting box which shows on screen all the time?

Home Theater System Denon AVR4520CI, Emotiva XPA-5 Gen 2, Polk CSi A6 Center, Polk RTi A9 Front, Polk RTi A7 Front Wide, Polk RTi A1 Front Height, Polk FXi A6 Side, Polk RTi A3 Rear, SVS PB12-NSD x2 Front, SVS PC12-NSD x2 Rear, Panasonic PT-AE7000U, Visual Apex CineWhite 100" Screen, PS4, Dish Hopper, Darbee Darblet DVP 5000.My Home Theater Build
post #487 of 856 Old 12-02-14, 10:47 PM Thread Starter

Ron

My System
Quote:
phillihp23 wrote: View Post

What settings are you using?
Hi Def 60% ?

Is there a way to turn of the darbee setting box which shows on screen all the time?
I am at Hi Def 70% as I recall. There is a part in the settings that allows you to turn off the display.... It was accessible only from the buttons on the front of the unit.

Ron

My Home Theater

post #488 of 856 Old 12-03-14, 01:46 PM Thread Starter

Ron

My System

Yesterday was interesting... Last night I went to do a Demo of Tomorrow" at -10 (we have demoed at 0 in the past before our latest tuning), and it started out fine and then the whole rack shut down. I checked all the breakers and they were fine. I then started pulling the fuses on the Monster HPS 7000, and they were fine. I then removed all the plugs and plugged them into a power strip and all was fine. I looked at the manual for the HPS 7000 and found out that it had blew the breaker on the Monster HPS 7000. Strange thing is it has never drawn more than 5.5 amps and that was at reference level with the same movie. The Monster is rated at 1800w for the circuit breaker. Why would it do this? I have everything hooked back up again and it is working fine now although I haven't cranked it that high again.

Ron

My Home Theater

post #489 of 856 Old 12-08-14, 12:58 PM Thread Starter

Ron

My System

This weekend we made about 20 or so more panels for the wall (still need to staple the GOM to them), and put 5 panels on the ceiling at first reflection points for MLP and 2nd row MLP. I really like the look of the 2' x 4' panels on the ceiling and I think I will do the rest of the ceiling with more 2' x 4' panels... Except I will make them cosmetic only so as to not over damp the room. I also got about 75% of the rear wall covered with fabric panels. I didn't have enough panels for the ceiling so we removed 4 of the first reflection panels from the side walls... I went this route since i had a helper, and I didn't know when I would have help for the ceiling panels again. One thing i noticed was that I appear to need side panels more than the ceiling as the sound is a bit brighter now than it was before.Here are some pics of the ceiling panels and rear wall (brightness and contrast were adjusted so you can see the images).
Attached Thumbnails
Ellis Family Retirement HT: Go big or go home-20141208_104029_zpsd898de88.jpg  

Ellis Family Retirement HT: Go big or go home-9de44835-11c9-4a71-8279-096cf540cf6c_zpsfd84d737.jpg  

Ellis Family Retirement HT: Go big or go home-92bad0dc-6dd3-4a02-b26e-7b7ae2b05b7c_zps89a1bf1b.jpg  

Ron

My Home Theater

post #490 of 856 Old 12-24-14, 12:10 AM Thread Starter

Ron

My System
Question Re: Ellis Family Retirement HT: Go big or go home

Today i received 8 more bales of R60 for my remaining first reflection points, and corner bass traps. I put 5 of them behind the rear row of seats, 2 up by the first reflection points (on the ground), and the other bale on the other side of the room in a first reflection point.

I then ran Audyssey, and made the following observations...

1. In the mids, and highs the clarity have increased significantly.
2. The bass is still there but about as tight as you could possibly ask for.

I had a friend over to see what he thought and he noticed the same things I did... Dramatic change in the sound (even though he has loved the sound from day 1 of the bi-amped setup). He commented that the voices and instruments were easily picked out when before voices in a chorus sounded like a chorus, and now they are sounding individual. He also noticed instruments that were easily picked out where they were not before (even though it sounded great).

Question: The bales are still wrapped in the plastic... What frequencies are absorbed with the plastic still on the bales? I am thinking that some frequencies in the mid and high are being absorbed now even though the sound is much clearer and even sounds more extended on the highs than before.

Ron

My Home Theater