Ellis Family Retirement HT: Go big or go home - Page 51 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

43Likes

post #501 of 855 Old 01-03-15, 11:42 PM Thread Starter

Ron

My System
Re: Ellis Family Retirement HT: Go big or go home

Today we got the first reflection panels made and installed along with most of the new fake wall that hides the equipment rack and Blu-Ray storage rack. I ran Audyssey again, and then sat down to do some serious listening. I am still hearing more details that I had not heard previously!

Interestingly last night my wife and I watched Pitch Perfect (for the hundredth time...) in our living room with our Monoprice in-wall speakers and Yamaha AVR (which I had just calibrated)... We watched the movie and it was good as usual. After the movie was over I went into the Home Theater and watched it again, and it was like it was a different movie! I know that my HT should sound better but the differences were dramatic. In our untreated living room the acoustics in the movie sounded like we were in a Ballroom, where as in the HT they sounded just like you would imagine them being in real life. Tonight my wife had a party and several friends wanted demoes of the HT... Everyone commented about how great the picture was and how they loved the way it sounded. I even noticed more little details that i hadn't heard previously. One comment was that every time they come over the system sounds dramatically different then it did the last time (listening to the same music). BryanP was spot on when he told me what to do to get the room tuned and I highly recommend that anyone that needs assistance contact him! We still have to make the rear corner traps, and finish the cosmetic wall panels... I am going to be very surprised if the rear bass traps make it sound even better (but I will be very happy if they can sound even better) than they do now. What is very interesting is that every time we get more panels completed and re-tuned we have no idea what to expect as the improvements are all over the place. For example... Adding the rear wall, and front wall bass traps tightened up the bass but also made the mid-range more prominent than it was before, but at the same time the articulation is unreal! I am so pleased with the outcome of my budget HT room, and DIY bi-amp setup.

I also have to say that 150" 16x9 and 180+ 2.40 is not too dim nor does it cause any eyestrain even from the first row of seating which is about 12' from the screen. In fact everyone who has watched a movie has preferred the front row unless they want the extreme bass of the second row (on top of the rear sub! I attest some of this is due to the fact that my Panasonic AE8000 is a little dimmer that it would be at 130" and thus is easier on the eyes, hence no eyestrain.

One little thing I did for the audio that appears to have dramatically help is... I calibrated my MLP as 1/2 the distance from the listeners ears in the front row, and the second row (height wise). What this did was make the front row, and the second row center seats have almost identical sound! Originally the front row was very spacious but lacking bass, and the 2nd row had tremendous bass but not as spacious of a sound as the front row. When we tried the new mike setup it dialed them both in (both have good bass, (but the rear is still a little better), but both are just as spacious. One other thing that makes this work for me is the mike is now at almost the exact same height as the center of my horns.

Ron

My Home Theater
BenQ MH741 Projector, Yamaha CX-A5100, (2 pr) JBL 8340As, (2 pr) JBL 8320s, PS3, XBox One, (1) Asus Mini, Redmere HDMI cables, Monster Signature HTPS7000, (2) Furman Power Conditioners, (2) DTS-10 subs, SeymourAV 180 (195" diag) scope screen, Darbee Darcet,Yamaha P7000s, Oppo UDP-203

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

DIY 14 channel IcePower amp coming soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #502 of 855 Old 01-04-15, 12:13 AM
HTS Senior Moderator

Papi

Sounds like things are finally getting dialed in. Wish I could add more to your thread but all I can do is watch and learn

"Music is the space between the notes"
“[T]o talk well and eloquently is a very great art, but that an equally great one is to know the right moment to stop.”
post #503 of 855 Old 01-04-15, 12:46 AM Thread Starter

Ron

My System

Quote:
chrapladm wrote: View Post
Sounds like things are finally getting dialed in. Wish I could add more to your thread but all I can do is watch and learn
I am still learning too.

Ron

My Home Theater
BenQ MH741 Projector, Yamaha CX-A5100, (2 pr) JBL 8340As, (2 pr) JBL 8320s, PS3, XBox One, (1) Asus Mini, Redmere HDMI cables, Monster Signature HTPS7000, (2) Furman Power Conditioners, (2) DTS-10 subs, SeymourAV 180 (195" diag) scope screen, Darbee Darcet,Yamaha P7000s, Oppo UDP-203

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

post #504 of 855 Old 01-04-15, 08:51 PM
Senior Shackster

My System
Quote:
ellisr63 wrote: View Post
I am still learning too.
Would a summary of acoustic treatments be possible?

Just a quick, what's where, etc. I have seen this has been an evolving project, but haven't seen a summary.

Thanks!
post #505 of 855 Old 01-04-15, 09:47 PM Thread Starter

Ron

My System

Quote:
eclipse911t wrote: View Post
Would a summary of acoustic treatments be possible?

Just a quick, what's where, etc. I have seen this has been an evolving project, but haven't seen a summary.

Thanks!
This is what we have so far...

First reflection panels:

1. (3) 2'x4' panels on the left and right walls made of 2 layers of Roxul R80 2" thick sheets (6 in total).
2. (6) 2'x4' panels on the ceiling made the same as the side wall panels.
3. Front wall behind screen is covered with 3" of Roxul R60 wall to wall, and 4' high (from the ceiling to 4' down).
4. Rear wall has 9" of Roxul R60 wall to wall EXCEPT for the corners which should be done this week (the corner traps will be of R80).
5. Front stage is stuffed with R19 Pink Fluffy, and topped with OSB.
6. Rear seating stage is stuffed with Pink Fluffy, and topped with OSB.

Room Construction:

1. Room within a room construction with R19 insulation (inner, and outer walls).
2. Complete sub floor is stuffed with R19 topped with OSB.
3; One layer of OSB covers the wall with a 2nd layer of drywall separated by Green Glue on all four walls.
4. Hat channels on the ceiling with 2 layers of drywall separated by Green Glue.
5. 2 solid core wood doors with 2 layers of 3/4 MDF added.
6. Fire clay used for all outlets, and switches to seal the hole.
7. Automatic door closers on both entry doors.
8. Automatic door seals on both entry doors.
9. Door seals for the area around the doors.
10. 1950 Art Deco glass door handles (inside HT one is modified with Blue LEDs, and frosted finish).

Room Finish:

1. All of the walls will have Blue or Black GOM covered panels (as will the ceiling), but only the ones listed will have any acoustic materials added to them.
2. The stage is covered with Home Depot black carpet, and the soffits are covered with JoAnnes Black Triple Velvet (after the complete room was painted flat black).
3. Floor has Lowes Plum colored Carpet with premium pad.

Equipment:

Front stage...
1. JBL 2360A horns with EV DH1a drivers for the front 3 channels.
2. DIY 1/4 Pie Bass Bins.
3. Danley DTS-10 subs (one under the front stage, and the other under the rear seating area).
4. MiniDSPs 2x4s for crossover for the front 3 channels.
5. Topping T chip amps for the front 3 channels (powering the Horns).
6. (2) Yamaha P2500s amps for the bass bins.
7. (1) Yamaha P7000s amp for the subs.
8. Denon 4520 for processing and surround amplification.

Surround...
1. Surround, and rear surround speakers are Klipsch HIP powered by the Denon 4520

Media...
1. DIY Unraid NAS
2. i3NUC for HA PC
3. i3 NUC for Media Server.
4. PS3 for gaming
5. XBox 360 for gaming.

Video...
1. Panasonic AE8000 projector.
2. SeymourAV 195" diagonal scope AT screen.
3. Darbee Darbet Processor.
4. Monoprice Redmere cables.

Miscellaneous...
1. APC UPS for Computers.
2. APC UPS for Projector.
3. Monster 7000 for power conditioning.
4. Samsung Galaxy Note for control via CQC HA Software.
5. Monoprice speaker wire.

Lighting...
1. Blue LED rope lighting for the soffits, stairs, and entry hallway.
2. LED spot lights in soffits for entey and exit lighting.

I think that pretty much covers it.

Ron

My Home Theater

post #506 of 855 Old 01-05-15, 07:49 AM
Senior Shackster

My System
Awesome. Thanks so much.

The treatment is extremely similar to my room and I've been very pleased with the results.

Love it.
post #507 of 855 Old 01-12-15, 11:55 AM Thread Starter

Ron

My System

Yesterdau we got almost every frame made for the panels, and corner bass traps completed. All we have left is about 6 panels that need GOM (these are cosmetic only, no absorbing), stuff the remaining soffits with R60, make the rest of the ceiling GOM covered panels (cosmetic), and finish the hallway panels (which will be completed once the HVAC people are done). All of the acoustic panels are done! We had 4 extra bales left of R60 so I put them behind the screen still wrapped in the plastic... They are sitting on the floor behind the screen and come up to a little above the bass bins. We put them against the rear wall in between the bass bins. I ran Audyssey again, and surprise, surprise... It sounded different again! Now you are probably wondering why I was surprised... All the bales of R60 were already in the room, they just were behind the back row of seating. I never expected another veil to be removed from the music, as I though it couldn't get any better.

Ron

My Home Theater

post #508 of 855 Old 01-18-15, 09:51 PM Thread Starter

Ron

My System

Once of our friends took some pics for me tonight of the HT so far...
[IMG][/IMG]

Attached Thumbnails
Ellis Family Retirement HT: Go big or go home-455a5228.jpg  

Ellis Family Retirement HT: Go big or go home-455a5226.jpg  

Ellis Family Retirement HT: Go big or go home-455a5225.jpg  

Ellis Family Retirement HT: Go big or go home-455a5224.jpg  

Ron

My Home Theater

post #509 of 855 Old 01-18-15, 10:36 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

Papi

Wow. Great pics. I forgot how big your HT room was.

Looks great so far And that screen is amazing.

"Music is the space between the notes"
“[T]o talk well and eloquently is a very great art, but that an equally great one is to know the right moment to stop.”
post #510 of 855 Old 01-18-15, 10:41 PM Thread Starter

Ron

My System

Thanks, I am very pleased with the way everything has turned out so far... I am very pleased with what a 2 car garage can be when it is converted to a HT.

Ron

My Home Theater